Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2012, 12:55 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,894,623 times

Advertisements

I gutted my bathroom yesterday but won't have my contractor/plumber back for another 2 weeks to finish the job. The spout was leaking when I bought the house a couple years ago, but now it's an issue because I don't have a tub in there anymore to catch the water.

I can't figure how to fix this thing. The valve doesn't look like anything I've seen online (cartridges). But I'm new to this plumbing stuff, so I'm perhaps I'm not searching for the right thing.

Here is a picture of what I got:

Anyone know how I can go about stopping the leak? I threw away the old faucet, since I'm getting a new one. I could get it of out the trash if it would help. I'd like to fix this on my own without having to wait 2 more weeks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 02:54 PM

40 posts, read 190,784 times
That's an older style moen valve body. You can pick up one of those cartridges for under $20, however, it's probably corroded into place and will be a bugger to get out.
I think you should replace the whole valve and trim.
Shut off the house water, drain water, cut the copper lines with copper cutters and cap the lines with SharkBite caps (snap on shut offs easily found at home depot) and your plumber can take care of the rest when he comes back.

Todd Stull
Enola, Pa

Old 03-09-2012, 03:10 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,303,508 times
Go to Home Depot or Lowes and get a Gator Grip cap and shove it on. When You are ready to finish, then use the special tool and remove it.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:33 PM

Thanks.

Is this the same cartridge that I need?

How To Replace a Moen Shower Valve Cartridge

Amazon.com: Fit Moen Cartridge - By Plumb USA: Home Improvement

Old 03-09-2012, 03:54 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
I totally agree with EnolaEagle. Have the contractor replace the whole old thing with a balancing valve.

It is silly to spend that money and time on something you are about to replace anyway. Buy a 50 cent copper pipe end cap, a torch, steel wool, and solder, dry out the interior as best you can, clean the surface with steel wool and then solder the end closed. That whole run will get replaced anyway on a new install.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:57 PM

The reason I suggested the Gator Grip is its a temporary fix and you don't have to solder (which is tough to do when there is water leaking in the pipe). You don't need tools, just shove it on. Great for a fast fix.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:07 AM

Called the plumber yesterday and he said he's going to come over Monday morning and put sharkbite caps on it until he is ready to rip the old thing out and replace it with a new valve and whatever else. Going to raise the shower head up too with new pipes. So you guys were right on the money!

Old 03-11-2012, 07:52 AM

I carry Gator Grips/Sharkbite caps in my truck.
Many times I am called to inspect a house that the water has been turned off because a valve has been removed, or a pipe is open on the end. I can cap it off, do the inspection, remove my cap and be on my way.

It is very difficult to solder a pipe that has water in it, even with the bread trick. These fittings take second to put on, and you don't even need tools.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:37 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Yeah, probably so. I just have done enough soldering that it isn't an issue for me. Even faster, and not requiring a trip to the store for many of us, a scrap of rubber or foam, crimping, and a vise-grip left on it would seal it for a few days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House