Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2012, 07:15 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about buying a "bin warehouse" or two for the basement of the house I am buying. (See attached photos of the "bin warehouse" if you have never seen one!) Then I realized that the big plastic bins that I bought at Wal-Mart for general storage (especially for bedding sets, since I have a LOT of them) are literally about 1" too wide (20.5" wide instead of 19.5").

So, I was wondering if anyone has built a simple shelving system for plastic bins in their garage or basement? It doesn't seem like it would be too hard ... just 2x4s and plywood platforms, right? Or am I kidding myself and there's something hugely complicated about it that I'm not figuring?

I assume that I would attach the back of the "frame" to studs. Each "section" would be about 22" wide by 18" high by 30" deep. The plastic bins don't have anything heavy in them (i.e., no books or magazines) so I would probably stack them 4 high.

Any suggestions?

thanks,
karen in new hampshire
Attached Thumbnails
bin warehouse alternative-bin_warehouse_empty.jpg   bin warehouse alternative-bin_warehouse_full.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 06:17 AM

4,704 posts, read 25,303,508 times
It is a very simple project for someone that: 1. has the tools, and 2. has the skills to use them.
I have made similar racks, one to hold file boxes for my business, and the other to hold the recycling bins.
I made the file box rack out of 2x4's and plywood, because the boxes are heavy. I built the recycle rack out of 2x3's and used slats for the top.

This would be a very simple project for a carpenter, handyman, or really anyone that has a skill saw and a hammer. I use an air nailer because it's faster, and I have one, but you could use screws or just a hammer and nails.

Because its 30" deep, and will have a pretty big footprint, you probably don't need to secure it to the wall studs, but it wouldn't hurt. Kind of like wearing a belt and suspenders.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:01 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Wouldn't waste the money!
The bins are more than capable of supporting themselves 4 high. Especially if they aren't "loaded"!
So, it takes an extra minute to get the bottom one- Big Deal!-
I have two stacks in my storage room- everything is labeled, easy to find, and really no bother if I have to dig (one stack is 4 high, the other 5 high)

Old 03-13-2012, 09:15 AM

But it wouldn't look as cool! :-)

Old 03-13-2012, 03:36 PM

Default more shelves!

K'ledgeBldr, you're right, it's not THAT hard to get to the bottom one when they're stacked 4 high, but I like the idea of adding label holders (like you see on some file cabinets) to the front of each slot and impressing my friends with how organized I am, lol (I will also label the bin itself with a photo of contents if it's bedding, but I like label holders for their neat look). The basement is huge (compared to what I have now, which is no basement at all!) so even storing 24 bins 6x4 it won't make too much of a dent in the floor space.

And I fibbed saying I would build it ... I would HELP a handyman build it as I like to see how things work/go together.

Thanks for the replies! Barking Spider, would love to see photos of the ones you've built if you have any! (One of the closets in the house I'm buying has a huge closet where 1 wall is slots for bankers' boxes -- that's how they sized them! My first thought was "sweaters!" but I do sometimes need file storage so may use some of those slots for files. Photo attached!)
Attached Thumbnails
bin warehouse alternative-closet_compartments_smaller.bmp  

Old 03-13-2012, 05:17 PM

699 posts, read 1,706,578 times
Used metal industrial shelving in our last house. You can buy them all over the place, Costco, etc. and put them together to fit your bins.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:23 PM

The metal industrial shelving is that adjustable (ie in terms of width, shelf spacing, etc.)? I haven't seen any that would work so would love a link or photos if you have them. Thanks!

Old 03-13-2012, 05:56 PM

Karen, here are the photos of mine. The recycle center was made with 2x3's and 2x2's, no plywood. The file storage was 2x4's and plywood because of the weight. I included close ups of the corner details.
Both of these were very quick builds. I use a chop saw and a air nailer, and it goes very fast.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Attached Thumbnails
bin warehouse alternative-p1170495.jpg   bin warehouse alternative-p1170496.jpg   bin warehouse alternative-p1170497.jpg   bin warehouse alternative-p1170500.jpg   bin warehouse alternative-p1170501.jpg  

bin warehouse alternative-p1170502.jpg  

Old 03-13-2012, 08:00 PM

6,817 posts, read 11,548,200 times
If what you're building is basically 2x4s joined together, think about using these

Product Category: Rigid Tie Connectors for Home Projects (DIY)

Mr. Dokie has made several workbenches and garage benches using them.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:24 PM

Barking Spider, those are great -- you look so organized!! I think my shelves would end up looking like your bankers'-boxes' shelves -- I think my bins will weigh less than your boxes so it should work out. And mine will be ~30" deep so they may very well not need to be attached to the studs.

Dokie, I like those ties, but using those for the shelves could get VERY expensive. I will ask my handyman what he thinks.

Thanks again for the replies! I will post photos this summer after the shelving is built!

-karen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House