Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2012, 09:07 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,858,669 times

Advertisements

before moving i bought a small washing machines, its an "apartment size" front loader. finally got around to hooking it up and the back of the machine has 2 water conection points, (cold) has a conection pipe... the other however has been capped...and by capped i mean despite much effort i CANNOT get the cap off, it looks like the previous owners either put it on Super tight or simply couldnt get it off either as its plastic and already had most of the nubbies "shaved" off.

they had been used then kept in storage for a month beofre i bought it...

i ALWAYS wash cold anyway, and the machine has a Cold setting...
would it do any harm to run the unit with JUST the cold leaving the hot capped off (cause otherwise im going to need a magic trick to remove that cap sort of melting it off i dont thing its going anywhere....
id assume as long as the other connector is properly capped i woudlnt have to worry about any pressure loss or anything...right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 09:49 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Post a picture of it but if it's just some plastic piece that looks like it's supposed to come off you better take it off. The other possibility is the "nubbies" are worn off because they tightened it so much to prevent it from leaking. You don't want it coming off by itself, suppose it comes off when you're on vacation for a week. If there is no check valve to prevent backflow from the cold water you'll have a flooded house, a few minutes can do a a lot of damage depending on where the washing machine is located.

In any event I wouldn't trust something like that and I'd either hook it up with hot water or cap it correctly.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:25 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,858,669 times
how would one "cap it correctly" the cap thats over the hot inlet right now is origional to the machine (printed with the brand name)

getting the cap thats on there right now OFF would be the biggest issue...if i could get the cap off id already have it hooked up, have the hose and everything,but plyers, wrench ect i just cant get it off there LOL.
(theres no signs of the machine ever leaking ect its Pristine inside and out)

Old 04-08-2012, 11:26 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
how would one "cap it correctly" the cap thats over the hot inlet right now is origional to the machine (printed with the brand name)
I'm guessing the cap is just a temporary cap and not intended to be used permanently but I could be wrong. That's why I suggested you post a picture of it. If you can get a picture on here you'll get a lot better advice becsue then people would know exactly what you're dealing with.

Quote:
getting the cap thats on there right now OFF would be the biggest issue...
A little bit of heat usually does wonders on any threaded pipe connection as long as there is no glue involved. You don't have to go the the extreme of melting it out. You could simply start with a hair dryer, heat it up for a while.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:41 PM

32 posts, read 127,399 times
if you dont mind doing cold washes,its no big deal...i work on washers for a living so i see this all the time....apt. size or portable unit all have this because most people hook them to a kitchen sink..the metal cap on the hot side will unscrew if you have 2 fill hoses for the washer...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House