Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 07:01 AM

507 posts, read 1,537,801 times

Advertisements

We recently moved to a condo in Florida. This is the first I have dealt with HOA's and condo management companies and so far I am not too impressed. Our first floor parking area has a lot of ground in dirt that not only looks bad but can be tracked into the units as it's all around including by the elevators, etc.

The management company has a guy that uses a blower to blow the sand but he doesn't do anything to remove the dirt. I made a request to have it power washed or cleaned in some way and the response from the manager was that it has already been power washed and the dirt "can't be removed, it needs to be painted".... this is a concrete floor. Does this sound legit to anyone??

Also does anybody know of any good places online that deal with condo living? I don't see a whole lot here at City Data and would like to find a good resource for condo specific living.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 07:11 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
I'll make the same suggestion that everyone else has made to someone who comes to C-D and complains about a HOA-
Actively seek a position on the board and persuade the other board members that changes need to be made.

I won't tell you the rest of the story...
because I don't know what it would be.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:46 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,904,667 times
Go to one of your HOA meetings, bring up the issue and ask for a solution I'm sure you are not the only one that is unhappy with this. If nothing happens get several other owners in involved, you can write letters, contact the main office of the management company to complain, there actually is a lot you can do.
And.........to answer your specific question, yes pressure washing does clean the ground in dirt, they are just giving you the run around!
At our condo we have a management company but the HOA Board sets the direction of what gets done.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:04 AM

507 posts, read 1,537,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
Go to one of your HOA meetings, bring up the issue and ask for a solution I'm sure you are not the only one that is unhappy with this. If nothing happens get several other owners in involved, you can write letters, contact the main office of the management company to complain, there actually is a lot you can do.
And.........to answer your specific question, yes pressure washing does clean the ground in dirt, they are just giving you the run around!
At our condo we have a management company but the HOA Board sets the direction of what gets done.
Thanks, I too feel the manager is giving me the run around.

The problem here is that 2 long time board members (our board only has five people) are good friends with the guy who owns the management company, which is how this company came on board to begin with... it's a good old boys kind of thing and I'm already getting the side eye for making complaints.

No wonder the vast majority of owners here have become complacent and just accept the crappy job this company does. There is a whole lot of politics and those currently on the board don't want to give it up. We are so new here that if we tried to get on the board it would be difficult to get to all the other owners (56 units) to ask for their vote as only 11 full timers live here (including us).

I'm not sure how to proceed.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:42 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,904,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrainOfSalt View Post
No wonder the vast majority of owners here have become complacent and just accept the crappy job this company does. There is a whole lot of politics and those currently on the board don't want to give it up. We are so new here that if we tried to get on the board it would be difficult to get to all the other owners (56 units) to ask for their vote as only 11 full timers live here (including us).

Maybe only 11 full timers live there but I can assure you most of the owners do care how it's run. Not sure where you live but here in Florida it is pretty easy to get the names and addresses of all our owners.
I would make a list of issues, actual issues not just opinions, than send them out to the owners asking for their assistance in getting them taken care of by expressing their concern to the Board. You can also start attending Board Meeting bringing up items not being taken care of. If you can get 5-6 owners on your side, generally that is all it takes to get attention. Most of the time it is easier to accommodate than try to ignore you.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 04-25-2012, 07:53 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,684,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrainOfSalt View Post
Thanks, I too feel the manager is giving me the run around.

The problem here is that 2 long time board members (our board only has five people) are good friends with the guy who owns the management company, which is how this company came on board to begin with... it's a good old boys kind of thing and I'm already getting the side eye for making complaints.

Well... if you are the "minority" here & do not have the "influencing" power...

I would stay quiet because unless you want "run out" of your own home = ready to move .... ???? The "gang" could potentially make trouble for you. Seriously.

Really... what other "powers" do you have since you signed all those freedom to do / correct what you want to the "outside" over to the boards (whom is already not going to do things your way)???

Want that "freedom of power" to decide (your funds to do what & when) own a house without HOA.

Other than that... the bottom line is what YOU willingly signed for = really, beware to complain & to go against the grain (community needs people who conform with them, the "elite decision makers" = not the minority *you*).

Old 04-25-2012, 02:20 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Often, the reason the same 5 people are on the board year after year is because no one else will step up and run, so it may not necessarily be anything nefarious.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:58 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,669,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
Well... if you are the "minority" here & do not have the "influencing" power...

I would stay quiet because unless you want "run out" of your own home = ready to move .... ???? The "gang" could potentially make trouble for you. Seriously.

Really... what other "powers" do you have since you signed all those freedom to do / correct what you want to the "outside" over to the boards (whom is already not going to do things your way)???

Want that "freedom of power" to decide (your funds to do what & when) own a house without HOA.

Other than that... the bottom line is what YOU willingly signed for = really, beware to complain & to go against the grain (community needs people who conform with them, the "elite decision makers" = not the minority *you*).

Huey has never met an owners association he had anything good to say about so consider the soruce on this subject.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:38 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,684,438 times
^^^Errr...no... "correction" accufitgolf.

I've actually been to quite a few HOA meetings thank you very much (even if I only rented).
Why?
Because my LL is Asian & speak no English, hence I have to tell her what goes on in her area invested (that house in the HOA).

Went to a meeting with even our very own state political representative in it.... a "sorta" social meeting for crimes, schools in the area & such... and this I believe is in many of my other post...
Thus "know" firsthand what homeowners are actually going through living within these communities.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:39 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
The problem is more likely most people can't or won't move their cars, and the pressure washing is usually done with a caustic chemical that gets blown on the cars and ruins the paint jobs. It only makes financial sense to do the whole garage at once, and in my experience residents are rarely co-operative. Towing the cars that won't move won't win the property management company any love, either....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House