Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 12:00 PM

14,459 posts, read 20,634,616 times

Advertisements

No ice maker.
I've looked outside for broken windows, roof damage.
I have looked for exploded cans of spray paint, canned foods, computer and TV monitors, deoderant cans, fire extinguisher, and no clues.

Someone gave this possibility. Cyber Static.
I searched Google and do not even find a definition on that.

I can understand the skeptics who say ghost or body gas.
But since the sound was behind me and slightly above shoulder level, and the sound was like a balloon being popped, (more than a single fire cracker) I doubt I find the cause. And despite the skeptics it was not imaginary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 12:02 PM

50,344 posts, read 63,918,476 times
I have been startled my the noise of a water bottle popping out.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Are you able to physically get into the area from which the noise is coming? How often you hear that noise?
Does that noise sounds metallic?
The sound happened in one second. One event. If I was blindfolded and told that someone was going to create a noise and I was supposed to hear the noise and then try to guess what it was, my first inclination was a popped balloon. My second guess, as far as what the sound was like, would be a single fire cracker. If I had to make a 3rd guess, I could not. It sounded so much like a fire cracker or popped balloon.

I have not looked in the attic, because it takes a ladder.
I can look, but this noise was behind me maybe 6-10 feet.
There is a bay like window behind the sofa into the kitchen.

As far as cyber static, whatever that is, I never felt any sensation in my ears, or an odor, to suggest some kind of static.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:07 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,084,823 times
am in an older house with tons of noises unable to find souce--have blamed mice,animals in wall,,,pld appliances,outside sources unseen---not able to come up with definitive answer---so am settling on restless nite time ghost

Old 05-11-2012, 12:11 PM

61,659 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Since we're trying all possible scenarios: what about a motorcycle passing by - sometimes you can hear a popping sound from the exhaust. You might didn't hear the bike, just the sound.

Last edited by elnina; 05-12-2012 at 01:42 AM..

Old 05-11-2012, 12:20 PM

500 posts, read 571,481 times
It could be a water pipe, something dropped in your wallspace, tree limb or nut landing on your house. Homes can make the most inexplicable noises.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:51 PM

2,414 posts, read 2,985,991 times
I heard a lot popping noise in a house we were renting. Later that I day I noticed that one of the floor tiles in the foyer was loose. I think the house was settling and the noise came from the tile popping lose. Also our fridge makes some weird noises sometimes.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:00 PM

I have a pecan tree. I've heard those noises all year long.
No car or motorcycle exhaust.

Let's go back to cyber static.
I'm not sure what it is, but........I'll never in a million years, understand how two clouds that you can not even touch with your hands if they were ground level, can cause the unbelievable loud thunder that is often heard. I can not believe clouds can cause that loud a noise. So, cyber static?

My house is only 4 rooms, and the laundry room where the gas water heater is, and the two bedrooms and the attic and outside of the house, are all eliminated in my mind.
I was facing the open blind, open door, toward the street, no passing vehicles.
I do have two propane tanks in the laundry room but they are empty.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:06 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
b

call a priest

Old 05-11-2012, 10:18 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,164,114 times
Houses, specially older ones, make noise when expanding and contracting. These expansions and contractions are temperature dependent as follows: as winter creeps in, the house contracts at some places, then as summer approaches the house expands as it gets hot. At the points of contraction and expansion some sort of rub spots are left behind. It's at these spots where weird noises are produced

The noises are often accompanied by a jolt, and can be quite loud sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House