Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2020, 09:55 PM

652 posts, read 522,234 times

Advertisements

I paid over $200 for a 5yr warranty at Home Depot for my washer. So Home Depot outsourced a repair company to do the service. I call the company up and they confirm days for me to be home so they can do the repairs. They have me waiting all day and they don't show up. No one calls or anything. I'm the one calling them and asking what gives. They reschedule for another day and they do the same thing again. When I call they and ask for who I'm talking to, they have a problem giving me a name. I ask for a supervisor and they say the supervisor is gone for the day. They have serious communication issues. They don't like answering texts, emails, or calls. What can I do with a repair company like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2020, 10:06 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,572,841 times
This is the problem with paying extra for extended warranties. They will do anything and everything to avoid doing repairs. If they ever actually show up, you can bet there will be excuses about why the service isn't covered. You're much better off doing a self-diagnosis, buying the parts online, and fixing it yourself.

What's wrong with it? Search for the brand and the problem. You won't be the first one to have this problem. Places like appliancepartspros.com and repairclinic.com can help you diagnose and repair.

Old 10-05-2020, 10:07 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,203,660 times
Don't buy extended warranties.

Don't buy extended warranties from bulk resellers like HD.

But I guess it's too late for that. Go to the HD where you bought it and ask for help.

Old 10-06-2020, 06:05 AM

23,604 posts, read 70,456,777 times
Take it to home Depot corporate headquarters. Stuff flows downhill. Corporate can remove that subcontractor and assign you a new one.

Old 10-06-2020, 07:16 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,338,834 times
You could decide to call a local appliance repair company that wants your business and write off the extended warranty against life lessons learned.

Old 10-06-2020, 07:18 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,291,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankAce View Post
I paid over $200 for a 5yr warranty at Home Depot for my washer. So Home Depot outsourced a repair company to do the service. I call the company up and they confirm days for me to be home so they can do the repairs. They have me waiting all day and they don't show up. No one calls or anything. I'm the one calling them and asking what gives. They reschedule for another day and they do the same thing again. When I call they and ask for who I'm talking to, they have a problem giving me a name. I ask for a supervisor and they say the supervisor is gone for the day. They have serious communication issues. They don't like answering texts, emails, or calls. What can I do with a repair company like this?
Not much...poor service seems to be more the norm than not nowadays.
It's a shame, especially when you've purchased a warranty.
I'd contact Home Depot, and let THEM know the repair company they've hired is corrupt, and that you want something done, or you'll let everyone know what kind of people Home Depot has working for them.

Old 10-06-2020, 09:59 AM

4,194 posts, read 2,516,403 times
Part of the issue is how long can you hold out without a washer? You can call HD, BBB, your state's consumer division, your local TV station's consumer reporter. On their website, do they have any professional affiliations that you can contact? In my state, VA, they are not required to be licensed, but that might be different elsewhere. Alas, it all takes time.

Old 10-06-2020, 10:16 AM

1,462 posts, read 974,893 times
Agree with one of the other posters here and call/email Home Depot HQ. In addition, I would call the store that you made the purchase to complain to their store manager and see if they can do anything. Last thing is depending on how old the purchase is, your credit card (if you paid with one) will sometimes offer an extra year on top of the manufacturer's warranty. I know with my AmEx, I had an issue with a dishwasher in one of my rentals that I purchased at HD that was out of the manufacturer's warranty. AmEx didn't fix the dishwasher, but credited back the amount I originally paid for the dishwasher so I can get it fixed. You may want to check into this option if within the CC warranty.

Old 10-06-2020, 10:24 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,657,017 times
My 1935 Maytag wringer washer still works fine, just used it yesterday. They dont make them like they used to. Its basically just an electric motor and a mechanical gear box. Check level gear oil in the gear box once in a while, nothing to go wrong. You do need to check oil level as seals get leaky as they age and even slow loss can cause you to run gearbox dry if not paying attention. Generic motor, one on there now is salvaged free off an old pump. But even brand new 1725 rpm universal 1/4hp motor like $100. No plastics, all metal. Even all metal dolly. The later ones had bakelite/plastic dolly and those tended to strip out. No replacement parts anymore of course so be interesting to fix one of those.

Todays washers lot plastics and controlled with a circuit board, digital displays, etc. Made with ten year life expectancy. And prices go ever higher. Good luck.

Third party warranties by way are not worth paper they are written on. Just as well light your cigar with $100 bill as buy one of those.

Old 10-06-2020, 12:14 PM

10,101 posts, read 6,444,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
My 1935 Maytag wringer washer still works fine, just used it yesterday. They dont make them like they used to. Its basically just an electric motor and a mechanical gear box. Check level gear oil in the gear box once in a while, nothing to go wrong. You do need to check oil level as seals get leaky as they age and even slow loss can cause you to run gearbox dry if not paying attention. Generic motor, one on there now is salvaged free off an old pump. But even brand new 1725 rpm universal 1/4hp motor like $100. No plastics, all metal. Even all metal dolly. The later ones had bakelite/plastic dolly and those tended to strip out. No replacement parts anymore of course so be interesting to fix one of those.

Todays washers lot plastics and controlled with a circuit board, digital displays, etc. Made with ten year life expectancy. And prices go ever higher. Good luck.

Third party warranties by way are not worth paper they are written on. Just as well light your cigar with $100 bill as buy one of those.
I'll have to disagree with you on your last statement. I have Geek Squad Protection Plans to cover both my upstairs single stacked washer/dryer unit and the separate washer and dryer in my basement that I only use for really large loads or comforters and other bulky things. They have been very good about fixing the upstairs unit and have replaced the motherboard and other parts several times. Technically I'm entitled to a whole new unit at this point (3 repairs after a one year period) but there are very few replacement units available in my area. As long as this one continues to function, I'm happy with Geek Squad. They also take excellent precautions when making a house call, which is important to me as an elderly, at-risk person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House