Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 07:21 AM

935 posts, read 3,447,393 times

Advertisements

Yesterday my AC started hissing. The noise is coming from around the area of the evaporator and is not related to the blower. It seems to only occur when freon is cycling through the lines. Leak/low freon condition?

How dangerous are freon leaks inside the home? Does it pose a heath hazard? Also, when the hissing doesn't occur (intermittent as of about 35 minutes ago), if I put my ear up to suction and intake lines, I can hear a little gurgling. Is that normal?

Thanks for the help. I rent and I'm concerned that my landlords fix will be to simply recharge it and I'm concerned about freon continuously leaking inside the condo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 07:56 AM

34,089 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWayISeeThings View Post
Yesterday (I happened to notice something like) my AC started hissing.
Spend $5 on a couple of thermometers.
If the output from the AC changes significantly...

Old 06-22-2012, 10:00 AM

23,596 posts, read 70,402,242 times
There is a snake in your system...

Hissing around the evaporator valve is sometimes more noticeable than others. The liquid is converting to gas.

Freon leaks are not harmful to the health in any way unless you sniff the stuff and asphyxiate yourself from lack of oxygen.

Gurgling sometimes occurs as a system equalizes out in pressure after use.

The temp drop across the cooling coil is usually around 20 degrees. If it is much less than that, call out a tech.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:12 AM

On an HVAC board they mentioned that low airflow can cause issues. I went to check my filter and it was clogged. I was supposed to have changed it last month, but it was stuck in there and I was in a rush. I forgot to go back and get it. So I'll see if it runs smoother with the new filter installed.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:01 AM

23,596 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Sometimes computer programs are dumb.

Similar??? Threads

computer making hissing sound, louder than usual, Computers Forum, 13 replies
Kittens hissing at father cat just after being fixed and mother cat hissing at her kitten..Why?, Cats Forum, 6 replies
gas boiler is making a whining noise, House Forum, 2 replies
Oil pressure gauge fluctuating and hissing noise (prob 2 separate things), Automotive Forum, 1 replies
Baltimore is really making some noise..., Baltimore Forum, 2 replies

Obviously, all of these are related and a snake is involved.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Sometimes computer programs are dumb.

Similar??? Threads

computer making hissing sound, louder than usual, Computers Forum, 13 replies
Kittens hissing at father cat just after being fixed and mother cat hissing at her kitten..Why?, Cats Forum, 6 replies
gas boiler is making a whining noise, House Forum, 2 replies
Oil pressure gauge fluctuating and hissing noise (prob 2 separate things), Automotive Forum, 1 replies
Baltimore is really making some noise..., Baltimore Forum, 2 replies

Obviously, all of these are related and a snake is involved.
You win! That's the most ADD post of the day! And now I have Toy Story quotes running through my head.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:32 PM

342 posts, read 1,554,543 times
Actually, it could be a good sound, that of refrigerant boiling in the evaporator. If the hiss is actually refrigerant escaping through a leak you won't hear it for very long.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtownfunlover View Post
Actually, it could be a good sound, that of refrigerant boiling in the evaporator. If the hiss is actually refrigerant escaping through a leak you won't hear it for very long.
The hissing stopped this morning before I left for work.

Well, I turned off the AC before heading out the door. We'll see if I have a comfortable night or a not-so comfortable night tonight.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:11 PM

34,089 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWayISeeThings View Post
Well, I turned off the AC before heading out the door.
We'll see if I have a comfortable night or a not-so comfortable night tonight.
Do you see a relationship between these two?

Setting the AC at one temp level and leaving it there is best for the system.
If out of the house for an extended time turnig it up a few degrees (72 to 76) is OK...
but don't turn it off altogether.

BTW, have you gotten those thermometers yet?

Old 06-23-2012, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Do you see a relationship between these two?

Setting the AC at one temp level and leaving it there is best for the system.
If out of the house for an extended time turnig it up a few degrees (72 to 76) is OK...
but don't turn it off altogether.

BTW, have you gotten those thermometers yet?

Haha. You know what I meant!

I have read so many varying account on changing the AC levels or leaving them at one level that its impossible to tell who was being truthful. So I did an experiment and set the AC to one level -- 72 -- for 50 days. I just paid my highest energy bill ever, so I certainly isn't more efficient to run it at a constant level all the time. My typical behavior before was to run it at 70 overnight and 78 during the day. I think I will go back to that model. I had also been told to leave the blower on 24x7 -- and that has turned out only to be a money hog. I get circulating the area constantly while I am cooling from 78 to 70, but then it can be turned off.

I am not sure what your intention was by suggesting the thermometers?? Were you suggesting I bypass the lockout?

In any regard, it intermittently hissed on start-up last night, but it cooled the air. This morning I awoke in a 78 degree house. Must be a leak since its still running, but not blowing cold air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House