Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 03:10 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,046,326 times

Advertisements

This thread was inspired by a different thread in the parenting forum. The OP in that thread hates it when someone wearing strong perfume or body lotion holds her baby and the smell rubs off on the baby. I commiserated with her experience.

I wasn't sure where to put this...

I am a "smell person" (thankfully not a "smelly person" ) - I really notice smells, and they really have an effect on me emotionally, mentally, physically even.

I tried to like Scentsy, but it gave me crashing headaches. Has anyone else experienced this?

Dryer sheets and fabric softeners also give me headaches, and some make me feel very nauseous. I cannot use Tide laundry detergent unless it is the unscented kind - the odor makes me sick. Same with Gain and just about all the others. We use the earth-friendly unscented products from CostCo currently, Kirkland Signature brand. So far they are great.

I cannot stand perfume or cologne on people, and if they come close to me and the smell wears off on me I cannot wait to change and shower to get the stink off. They make me sneeze and make my eyes red and itchy. I had a boss once who always wore Opium and it got so bad I eventually took a position in a different department. I didn't want to be rude and tell her it was her perfume. I knew a guy who wore Obsession and I actually liked how that smelled, but it made me sleepy and sick to my stomach. That was weird.

Those Glade plug-in type of things? Forget about it. They make me feel like I am going to throw up. Once we went to a dinner party and the host had one plugged in two rooms away from where we were being served dinner. I felt so sick.

The only sort of scents I can handle are from real essential oils (not the fake kind you find at Walmart or whatever) and certain kinds of candles. I use beeswax candles at home and they have a very light kind of sweet earthy scent and that doesn't bother me. Also, there are a few brands like LUSH and Crabtree and Evelyn that for whatever reason their perfumes and scents do not bother me.

So am I alone in this? Does anyone else suffer from all the various smell emitters we face in our daily lives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 03:20 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
Oh yes...and they hit us from all sides too. I use only "free/unscented" products... for laundry etc. Folks use too much of any cologne/perfume... I like natural scents bergamot, rose etc. but you are right, needs to be an essential oil and not a fake-o copy!

Sandlewood candles I can really enjoy-and soap. But NO candles, shampoos etc that smell like a FOOD product!

ie Pumpkin-squash-carrot spice
Cherry-orange-melon or whatever
Pineapple-peppermint-tofutti

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
This thread was inspired by a different thread in the parenting forum. The OP in that thread hates it when someone wearing strong perfume or body lotion holds her baby and the smell rubs off on the baby. I commiserated with her experience.

I wasn't sure where to put this...

I am a "smell person" (thankfully not a "smelly person" ) - I really notice smells, and they really have an effect on me emotionally, mentally, physically even.

I tried to like Scentsy, but it gave me crashing headaches. Has anyone else experienced this?

Dryer sheets and fabric softeners also give me headaches, and some make me feel very nauseous. I cannot use Tide laundry detergent unless it is the unscented kind - the odor makes me sick. Same with Gain and just about all the others. We use the earth-friendly unscented products from CostCo currently, Kirkland Signature brand. So far they are great.

I cannot stand perfume or cologne on people, and if they come close to me and the smell wears off on me I cannot wait to change and shower to get the stink off. They make me sneeze and make my eyes red and itchy. I had a boss once who always wore Opium and it got so bad I eventually took a position in a different department. I didn't want to be rude and tell her it was her perfume. I knew a guy who wore Obsession and I actually liked how that smelled, but it made me sleepy and sick to my stomach. That was weird.

Those Glade plug-in type of things? Forget about it. They make me feel like I am going to throw up. Once we went to a dinner party and the host had one plugged in two rooms away from where we were being served dinner. I felt so sick.

The only sort of scents I can handle are from real essential oils (not the fake kind you find at Walmart or whatever) and certain kinds of candles. I use beeswax candles at home and they have a very light kind of sweet earthy scent and that doesn't bother me. Also, there are a few brands like LUSH and Crabtree and Evelyn that for whatever reason their perfumes and scents do not bother me.

So am I alone in this? Does anyone else suffer from all the various smell emitters we face in our daily lives?

Old 06-29-2012, 03:36 PM

I just remembers another thing - deodorants!

OMG. I have reduced the number of hours I spend volunteering at the middle school because... parents maybe you know what I mean here... but middle-schoolers deodorants are really strong and awful. They also make me feel sick and give me headaches.

That "Axe" stuff is horrible, but most deodorants are horrible. Personally I use the crystal deodorant or something like Tom's of Maine. The old formula's never worked for me but the new ones I've tried recently do.

Anyway - deodorants are another smell emitter offender!

Old 06-29-2012, 05:47 PM

491 posts, read 2,290,370 times
Yes - I'm very allergic to all kinds of scents. I'll start sneezing and if the scent is strong I'll feel ill.

I don't use any candles, sprays or scent emitters in my home, and I don't use any strong cleaners or cleaners with a scent. Even newsprint from newspapers and magazines affect me.

I think many folks are sensitive but they are not in tune with their own bodies so they continue to use scented products and wonder why they are sniffling and getting headaches.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:55 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times
Hate them - I am highly allergic.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:09 PM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times
There are few things more weird than watching tv in the evening, grabbing a chip, and then smelling the odor of someone you shook hands with during the day - even after having washed your hands. Whole Fuuds lost me as a customer when they started spraying whole blekk into the air at the entrance to "enhance" the shopping experience of cockaroach infested "organic" fruits and veggies. Glade stinkpots make me nauseous just thinking about them. I'll take an open sewer line smell any day.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:13 PM

harry that is really odd! I worked at "Whole Fuuds" for 12 years and we weren't even allowed to wear scented anything because of the effect it could have on our customers. I worked at three different locations in Texas, the state where Whole Foods originated. Which location did you experience this at? That is so bizarre.

Another thing - those smelly perfume ad inserts in the magazines. UGH! Awful.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:20 PM

242 posts, read 299,147 times
And my wife thinks I'm just a Howard Hughes wannabee. Op- most everything you put I have the same. My wife is a makeup/ perfume gal. I have her put the perfume on in the car. Vaccuuming leaves me bothered. The other bad trigger for me is dried eucalyptus in flower arrangements. Some of my reactions can be quite nasty. I have minor sinus problems; I do the saline rinse once a day. But before I found an ENT doctor that had me do that, a previous allergist had explained to me that I wasn't allergic to anything. But I did become hyper- sensitive to certain chemicals/ smells/ powders/dusts etc. I think she said it happens from overexposure. I do occassionally vaccuum, and cut grass. I know I look like a dork; I use the double yellow strap 3m dust masks for both activities. It seems like between that and the sinus rinse- I'm not really getting sick anymore.
Ps- I'm on a flight a month ago. The crew offerred newspapers to everyone. Within 10-15 minutes, there were at least 6 people near me starting to cough.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:27 PM

242 posts, read 299,147 times
As a followup to some of the later posts (slow typer here) - dryer sheets, candles, carpet fresh , GLADE! , perfume displays, magazine inserts, evergreen needles, body powders, face creams, nail polish, are all on my trigger list.-m

Old 06-29-2012, 06:33 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisluvs View Post
As a followup to some of the later posts (slow typer here) - dryer sheets, candles, carpet fresh , GLADE! , perfume displays, magazine inserts, evergreen needles, body powders, face creams, nail polish, are all on my trigger list.-m
Yes - and don't forget laundry detergents. Costco was demoing this new scented Tide laundry detergent - those individual gel packs - one per load - my husband bought a big container of the stuff and washed some of his clothes in it - I couldn't be in the same room with him - his clothes literally made me ill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House