Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2007, 06:57 PM

238 posts, read 1,248,088 times

Advertisements

Soon we will be putting our house on the market and I have two areas that squeak/creak (my upper hallway(carpet)& bedroom floor (hardwood) depending on the weather..will this be a negative to buyers? when we had the hardwood floor put in they "tightened" the area in the bedroom but it still creaks periodically...am I being silly or should i be concerned?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 07:22 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,674,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDR57 View Post
Soon we will be putting our house on the market and I have two areas that squeak/creak (my upper hallway(carpet)& bedroom floor (hardwood) depending on the weather..will this be a negative to buyers? when we had the hardwood floor put in they "tightened" the area in the bedroom but it still creaks periodically...am I being silly or should i be concerned?
Thanks!
My husband is a carpenter, and he says on the stairs just drive very small nails throught the carpet into the floor where it squeeks. hardwood naturally can make some noise, it is usually the subfloor not the hardwood, but if the wood was nailed down it can be the floor moving on the nails, I wouldnt worry.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:59 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,469,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDR57 View Post
Thanks!
Is there any softness when you step on those areas? If there is softness, there might be concern for rot in the subfloor (there may be none, but it might go through their minds).

Old 10-02-2007, 10:32 AM

238 posts, read 1,248,088 times
we had the area in our bedroom checked when we put the hardwood floor down & everything looked good. The guys even put a couple of nails in the sub floor to tightened it but the squeak came back . It doesnt feel soft and somedays..like today we don't hear it. ggrr. I am probably being super sensitive since we are getting ready to put the house on the market.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:30 PM

377 posts, read 1,728,551 times
For the bedroom with carpet, screws will work better than nails because it will tighten down the subfloor. The problem is that underneath the subfloor are floor joists that are usually 16 inches apart. The screw needs to go into both the subfloor and floorjoist to tighten down the subfloor. If it doesn't, you're not accomplishing anything because you're just putting a screw into the subfloor. You can try and find the joist with a studfinder.

Old 10-03-2007, 06:01 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,674,486 times
watch out though, screws can rip the carpet going in and often dont go beneath the carpet, unless you pull it up.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:49 PM

377 posts, read 1,728,551 times
you just have to use screws with small heads. We've done it before and it works fine. Before screwing it in, separate the carpet fibers with your hands to make some space, so that the screw won't catch the fibers when screwing it in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House