Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 06:49 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHapa View Post
Oil-rubbed bronze is also nice because it doesn't show fingerprints and water spots as much as the other finishes.
Be careful - true oil rubbed bronze is a very soft finish and easily damaged by cleaners and develops wear with use (such as on faucet handles and door knobs). Fixtures with the "real" finish are typically very expensive. Most mass merchandise fixtures advertised as oil rubbed bronze are really just a color designed to look like oil rubbed bronze - it's not really an oil-rubbed finish. Those ones tend to hold up just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 03:07 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
This isn't rocket science.

What do you like?

Buy it.

End of story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I think the only thing that is really outdated is brass.
And it will be back ...

Old 08-02-2012, 08:10 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Just pick whatever YOU like best. What is in an populatr right now will be out of date by the time you finish anyway. they change what is "IN" regularly so they can keep selling lots of suff.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:39 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,576,956 times
Agree with the above. People spend way too much time on here worrying about whats in and whats not for their house. BUY WHAT YOU LIKE!!! INSTALL!! ENJOY!!!

We did our baths in chrome. I know its not considered "in", but I really didn't care. To me, chrome in a bathroom is timeless and we happen to like the look. We also have a few rooms with brass fixtures (dining and foyer) and if you think I am spending a mint to change them out because they are "dated" you are nuts. They work for us and if someone walks into our house and judges us on the color of our fixtures they probably aren't someone I want have in my home anyway.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
BUY WHAT YOU LIKE!!! INSTALL!! ENJOY!!!
Words to live by.

Oh, yeah, and my brass dining room chandelier? It ain't going nowhere, even if it is "dated".

Old 08-03-2012, 08:00 AM

Some companies make a really great finish where they vaporize chome and either brass or nickle and then combine them and bond them to the iron fixture. The claim it is a process that must be done in a vacuum and was supposedly developed on the space station. The resulting finish is beautiful and lasts forever (at least they guarantee it forever). The company I know of that does this (G & S) is insanely expensive (as in over $1K for a sink faucet). However there must be other companies doing this.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:08 AM

The finish is called PVD. I was a little off in my understanding of how it is done, but close. Other companies do offer it. Also G & S prices have come down a lot since last time I looked. I guess they found not much market for $5,000 bath hardware sets.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
This isn't rocket science. What do you like? Buy it. End of story.
We don't know how long the OP plans to live in this house or if they have plans to sell in the near future - in which case it does make sense to take into consideration what might be popular (or not) with potential buyers.

I say this as someone who spent a good deal of his career moving every 2 years - during that period I never did anything to a house that wasn't done with an eye toward resale.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I say this as someone who spent a good deal of his career moving every 2 years - during that period I never did anything to a house that wasn't done with an eye toward resale.
I feel sorry for you. It must have felt like you were never living in your own house.

Life is too short to worry about what other people will and won't like!

Old 08-03-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I feel sorry for you. It must have felt like you were never living in your own house.
Yeah, that's exactly how it felt! We were always afraid to decorate or paint anything beyond a shade of beige. Glad to be beyond that now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House