Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 10:56 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times

Advertisements

I did not know anyone did that. To me is seems really disgusting. Even when we were renting we requried the landlord to replace the carpeting (or in one case, we did it becuase he refused and the rent was cheap and we loved the house). Carpeting in general is pretty disgusting, but it is nice to lie on the floor on. However I would not want to touch carpeting that has had unknown things done to it or on it over an unknown period of years by unknown people. The only thing I think think of that is worse is buying used underwear. Except at least you can clean underwear. Carpeting cannot be fully cleaned.

On the other hand, old carpeting makes a wonderful drop cloth if you are going to repaint walls refinish moldings and the like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 11:05 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Really that afraid of cooties?

Outside of rarefied precincts like Grosse Ile Michigan...
most people will base the decision to keep carpet on it's age and condition.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:02 PM

1,386 posts, read 5,346,667 times
still trying to figure out what a used house is....... is that like a certified pre owned car?

maybe things are different in your area, but in mine, there are plenty of people who move into a house without replacing the carpets.

There are also plenty of people who replace the carpets. However, most of the homes are 30-60 years old, with others being older and only a small percentage of them being newer. So there is a lot of carpet that is 20years+ old that people rip out.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Really that afraid of cooties?

Outside of rarefied precincts like Grosse Ile Michigan...
most people will base the decision to keep carpet on it's age and condition.
Actually most of my experience is in Orange County CA, in Grosse Ile, we rented a house for a short time and then moved into our $1 house. Actually the rental in GI had gross carpeting but we were only going to stay there a very short time - however that changed. We just put some rugs and bankets over the carpeting.

So you are saying you would buy used underwear?

Have you evener pulled up used carepeting? It is incredibly disgusting underneath. Botht he underside of hte carpet and the padding and under the padding. Skin, nails, mold, goo every kind of ick imaginable.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:43 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
The sellers had just replaced the carpet before we moved in and they had it steamed anyway.

We don't allow shoes in our house.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:50 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,549,353 times
You get the carpet cleaned.

I never thought about it in an apartment (except to make sure it was cleaned), I doubt I'd care in a house.

I'd get it replaced if it were old/worn. If not (a lot of people put in cheap/new carpet just to sell the place) I'd live with it until is needed replacement for physical (not psychological) reasons.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:06 PM

167 posts, read 359,285 times
We could not afford to replace all the carpet in the house when we first moved in. We had it cleaned and gradually replaced it as we could afford to. So, yeah...people actually do this, and survive.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:06 PM

"Cleaning" does not clean it.

IF it was new, I woudl not have an issue with it for a while. But if it was more than a year old, I would replace it. Actually I would jsut remove it and not have carpeting anywhere, but my wife likes it. For most people it only usually takes one time looking under and at the back side of "professionally cleaned" cerpeting to make them jsut replace it or remove it always. It is not all that expensive.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:12 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Do people really replace all the carpeting when they move into a house?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I did not know anyone did that.
Ever hear of steam cleaning?

What a waste of time, money, materials and resources to pull up perfectly decent carpeting, just because you're afraid of (non-existent) cooties. You can waste your money if you like; I'm not interested in doing so.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:14 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
No one in my area tears out perfectly good carpet and puts in new.
There are companies that specialize in carpet cleaning.

Has NOTHING to do with used underwear, and I am surprised you think it does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House