Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 09:38 AM

605 posts, read 2,147,714 times

Advertisements

Our house was built in 2007. We have hardwood floors throughout. They are not per-fab. The wood was cut, installed and finished on site. We have one area right in our hallway that has a really bad squeak. It is driving me completely nuts!

I don't trust my non-handyman husband to fix it but am wondering if floor companies can repair the squeak? I don't mind a non-headed nail in the wood. I just can't stand it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 09:53 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,196,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
I don't trust my non-handyman husband to fix it but am wondering if floor companies can repair the squeak?
Squeaky Floor Fixing

Old 12-24-2012, 10:26 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
They make finishing screws with very small heads. Put a little putty in the whole, they make putty you can match to the color. Use some clear nail polish to finish. You're probably the only one that will ever notice it. You can always test one screw in an area that isn't visible or out of the way beforehand.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:54 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,642,077 times
...and all because the builder wanted to save a few minutes, and a few bucks... It's criminal what new home builders get away with...

Old 12-24-2012, 05:12 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
...and all because the builder wanted to save a few minutes, and a few bucks... It's criminal what new home builders get away with...

Here we go again!
Blame everything on the builder! You don't know what construction techniques were used in the production of the house. Nor do you know what the hardwood subcontractor used to install or prep for the installation.

And you don't know how the OP "lives" in the house- Mainly HVAC and r/h. Both of which could have caused the squeak; and has nothing to do with the builder, the sub-contractor, or some materials used.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:26 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,642,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Here we go again!
Blame everything on the builder! You don't know what construction techniques were used in the production of the house. Nor do you know what the hardwood subcontractor used to install or prep for the installation.

And you don't know how the OP "lives" in the house- Mainly HVAC and r/h. Both of which could have caused the squeak; and has nothing to do with the builder, the sub-contractor, or some materials used.
If you are going to make excuses for a poorly constructed house, you have lost all credibility. You know as well as I do, if the builder would have glued and screwed the subfloor down, there would be no squeaks.
Usually only custom builders will go to the extra time and expense, most volume builders could care less what happens after they walk away.
Now I have to assume which kind of craftsman k'ledgBlde is... very sad indeed...
Do it right, or don't do it at all....
Merry Christmas...

Old 12-25-2012, 09:16 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,449,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
If you are going to make excuses for a poorly constructed house, you have lost all credibility. You know as well as I do, if the builder would have glued and screwed the subfloor down, there would be no squeaks.
Usually only custom builders will go to the extra time and expense, most volume builders could care less what happens after they walk away.
Now I have to assume which kind of craftsman k'ledgBlde is... very sad indeed...
Do it right, or don't do it at all....
Merry Christmas...

Exactly. Do it right, or don't do it at all. In my last house, I put in about 5K ft^2 of Bruce D-4 select and better oak, with between 4 and 6 coats of oil-based poly. Let the wood acclimate for about 3 months, and installed it in the winter when the humidity was low. T&G underlayment, glued and screwed. (has he even heard or resorcinol for the glue? been using it since I was about 12 years old) You could have dumped a five-gallon bucket of water on the floor, when done, and the water would have just sat there. Sort of reminded me of the old-fashioned roller-skating rink floors.
The only (modern) houses I have been in that had squeaky floors were those built by alleged 'professional builders'. "The appearance of rigor".
Happy New Year, to follow.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:02 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,122,387 times
Real wood floors will squeak a bit. Its not necessarily the sub floor. These are nail down products.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:54 AM

543 posts, read 1,741,382 times
Our hardwood floors in Central Austin are very squeeky depending upon the moisture of the soil. Pier and beam constructed in 1928. Many homes in the neighborhood were built without subfloors at all. Tried glue between boards and joists but only worked for a couple of weeks. If we get some rain soon, the aggravating sqeeks will be temporarily abated.

Old 12-25-2012, 12:26 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,504,048 times
Wood is a natural material. As such it expands and contracts with changes in temperature and humidity. Master cabinet makers (the good ones anyway) know that you never glue panels in cabinet doors and you never glue table tops to the frame. The wood must be able to move.

Unless the wood is able to move as it changes it could potentially crack and split and your problem will be much worse than just squeaks.

True, there are some instances where gluing the floor down is now recommended. This is more likely to be instances where the hardwood veneer is on an engineered substrate.

If you really don't want any squeaks, consider ceramic on a concrete slab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House