Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 11:04 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
One city over allows no plastic above ground period... not P-traps or lines... everything must be copper or cast-iron.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HldVI4InSr4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 11:04 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
While you might think it wasteful, they would call it being safe with the citizens life. Considering some of the wiring jobs I've seen on these older homes, it makes you wonder why some of them haven't burnt down already. And there's no excuse for not requiring knob and tube to be replaced, that stuff is just dangerous.
But a home owner has the option of not having any work done and keeping what they have. But should they have a fire, any kind of fire, and the Fire Marshall finds a fuse box or a 2 wire system, they pull the meter until the house is brought up to current code. FWIW, our electric provider which is owned by the City, has programs for the folks that don't have the cash to pay for the up grades. They also have programs for those with the cast iron piping as long as the home owner agrees to install low flow commodes. The city water service will also provide those at no cost. It's not near as gestapo as it sounds and the H/O is much better off with the up grades.

They pull the meter if there is any kind of a fire? so if somone falls asleep while smoking in bed and starts a fire, they end up having to replace their electrical system or lose their home if they cannot afford a new electrical system? I suppose they could just live without electricity or get a generator. That is just crazy.

All said and done a complete re-wire, new box and repair all the damage can easily cost $10 - 15K or more. The biggest cost is often restoring the walls and cielings, especially if they electrician is not a thinker.

It is a good way to force lower income homeowners to default and abandon their home and become renters, maybe the government sees a benefit to that.

What is just plain dangerous about a knob and tube electrical system? Unless the wire has become brittle, it is just as safe as a romex non-grounded system. The wire usually does not become brittle unless there is a bad connection. The really old bare wire K & T systems can be dangerous if you send an idiot into the attic. Even then, it takes some doing to cause a problem. The wire runs are usually pretty far apart. Bare K & T is extremely rare. It was rarely done, and almost none of it still exists.

There is no reason to replace K & T wireing unless it needs replacing for some reason like re-routing or there is a connection problem, or you are expanding the number of devices or circuits. It is difficult to tie new romex into t K & T system correctly, so sometimes, if you are adding things, you end up replacing the old wiring, but not always. Also it is not terribly difficult to add a groun to a K & T two wire system, especially if you are allowed to ground to plumbing (assuming there is copper plumbing). Replacing it just because it is there is like throwing your car away because it is dirty.

A two wire system is extremely common. In many areas most houses have a two wire system. Where I am right now, a tleast 90% of the houses in the neighborhood have 2 wire systems. They have all been here for around 100 years or more. None of them have burned down due to wiring problems.

A grounded system adds safety only in a few situations. FOr most uses, it does nothing. In all houses, new or old, virtually all light fixtures are two wire. For outlets, a ground does no good inless what you are plugging in is also grounded. Most household electronic devices and appliances are two wire. For example, right now I have a ceramic disk heater, a computer charger, A phone charger and a wall mounted light in use. None of them are grounded, so a three wire system would not help me one whit.

GFCIs work the same on a two or three wire system. They simply are not grounded just like any other kind of outlet on the system, but they still function the same.

back to the topic of the orignal post - sewer lines, I am surprised the PVC performs any better than cast in moving soil conditions. PVC isnot very flexible. Really odd they use PVC instead of ABS. ABS is more common for waste lines and much more flexible. With cast their is some flex at the connections. With PVC there is none. They are glued and movement will open the joints. It is also funny they call low flow toilets an "upgrade" Those things are certinaly not beneficial for homeowners. THat is why non-low flow toilets are smuggled in from Canada in large numbers. Except for the really expensive newer low flows, most require two flushes, so they save no water, the plug up more. The new ones are much better, even better than the old toilets or Canadian ones, but they are pricy. UNtil recently, low flow toilets were uniformly junk. Now, it you have a lot of money, you can get good ones.

It seems your community is set up to drive poor home owners out of their homes. The government wants only well to do homeowners and everyone else renting. There is probably a reason for that.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:58 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
Well I had to cut the cast iron drain line open to cut in the tee for the new washer location. It was caked...my 4" pipe was about a 2 3/4" pipe ID in some spots

Even tho the walls of the pipe looked good Im ripping it all out and replacing it with pvc. I dont want issues 25 years down the road and having to rip open my basement walls.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:06 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
I made the decision to up-grade for peace of mind as part of an overall project.

This way you will know exactly what you've got.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:53 PM

328 posts, read 682,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I have never seen PVC used for drain lines (other than traps under sinks). Typically, the black plastic pipe used for drains is ABS (PVC is white).
Really! PVC is the most common lines used for waste today. You need to take off your sunglasses and look at the real color--it is white. Black pipe is used sometimes but far less common.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:08 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,295,255 times
While PVC is allowed by code, it is not used in all areas of the United States. In my entire career I've never seen PVC used. In the San Francisco Bay Area ABS is used in residential and light commercial, and cast iron is used everywhere else. I don't know why?

Old 01-21-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
In the San Francisco Bay Area ABS is used in residential and light commercial,
and cast iron is used everywhere else. I don't know why?
I've seen ABS used outside San Francisco...
but I thought SF itself was all copper and cast and that because of union power.
(the same reason Chicago uses emt for residential wiring)

Old 01-21-2013, 08:57 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,295,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I've seen ABS used outside San Francisco...
but I thought SF itself was all copper and cast and that because of union power.
(the same reason Chicago uses emt for residential wiring)
You may be correct for SF proper. If I went into the city I was working on big projects that used cast iron. My observation of the Bay Area in general was ABS, and cast iron as stated. My home here in Nevada is ABS though. Again, I've never seen PVC used? Exception: I had my vitrified sewer replaced in my Bay Area home in 2001 with ABS. I had them do the water line while they were there, and they used 1" PVC. They had to redo it, because they brought it above ground. I've never seen it as DWV though.
There's a reason why plumbers like the cast over plastic for service reasons, but I can't remember why?

Old 01-21-2013, 10:01 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
East Bay of SF Bay and ABS unless no plastic and then it is copper or cast.

I was in a home a couple of months ago that was all copper... even the 4" DVW lines were copper!

Custom home built in the mid 50's

Now my current home had the worst of the worst underground... it was 50 year old Orangeburg till last year and now it is seamless plastic.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
My home here in Nevada is ABS though. Again, I've never seen PVC used?
I'm from Maryland. Until I went out west I had never seen ABS in person.
I've used it since then... but am still distrustful of it.

Quote:
There's a reason why plumbers like the cast over plastic for service reasons,
but I can't remember why?
Probably old guy bias...
The history and problems of cast iron sewers pipes. | PS Inspection & Property Services LLC
I like cast as well. I've never installed it though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House