Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 11:39 AM

14,466 posts, read 20,644,378 times

Advertisements

Here is what out laws say:

It shall be unlawful for a person to make or continue, or cause to be made, any unreasonably loud, disturbing or unnecessary noise, or any noise which either annoys, disturbs the comfort, health, or peace, within the limits of the city.
The following acts, among others, are declared to be loud, disturbing and unnecessary noises:
Animals, birds, etc. The keeping of any animal which by causing frequent or long-continued noise shall disturb the comfort of others.
Blowers or engines.
Sound-amplifying devices generally.

Public nuisance means any dog or cat making loud or objectionable sounds, behaving in a manner which disturbs the rights of the general public, or any person maintaining property that is offensive, annoying to the public health or welfare of the community because of the number or location of the animals on the property. It shall be unlawful for any person to keep any animal that is a public nuisance as defined above cupon their premises.

So, the public nuisance can be the cat or dog owner.

Last edited by howard555; 01-27-2013 at 11:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 11:14 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,868,731 times
Years ago before I moved, some people moved in behind me and had 8 little yappy barking dogs in their backyard. Those dogs barked non stop 24 hours a day. I couldn't sleep, couldn't have any windows open for fresh air. I talked to them, they would laugh. I called the police who said there wasn't any city ordinance they could enforce. Everyone around them complained, the people would just laugh. I finally had enough, sold my house and moved. On 5 acres now, neighbors are cows.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:34 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Even if he were on the street, it's public property! Whenever any of my children would come home and say that someone in the neighborhood told them they couldn't play on the street near their house, I'd tell my children that they had every right to be in the street and to not let anyone intimidate them.

Absolutely true it's his right to play outside as long as it's not "quiet hours" according to town ordinance. But there's this other thing called being considerate to others. That's what pisses me off more. Why don't I go play my drums in my garage with the door open too? Or blast my metal music with the windows open? Or rev my V8 or Harley at 9 in the morning on a Saturday?

Old 02-09-2013, 12:13 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
Absolutely true it's his right to play outside as long as it's not "quiet hours" according to town ordinance. But there's this other thing called being considerate to others. That's what pisses me off more. Why don't I go play my drums in my garage with the door open too? Or blast my metal music with the windows open? Or rev my V8 or Harley at 9 in the morning on a Saturday?
I know it's annoying when your neighbors don't sleep in as late as you, but 9am isn't part of "quiet hours," not by law, not in my area.

People can do all of those things at 7am in my area.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:31 AM

Location: Downtown Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill,Homestead for now
512 posts, read 1,224,957 times
Where do you live Miami? This is what we have to deal with all the time. I wish i had a farm house.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:17 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtoMiami View Post
Where do you live Miami? This is what we have to deal with all the time. I wish i had a farm house.
A suburb of Pittsburgh. I think 7am is the standard almost everywhere.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:04 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmv90 View Post
Wouldn't it be nice to enjoy your home with windows open or back yard without the neighbor blasting their outdoor radio every single day all day?

YES, in a fantasy world.........outside of The United States Of Idiocracy that may be possible.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:59 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I know it's annoying when your neighbors don't sleep in as late as you, but 9am isn't part of "quiet hours," not by law, not in my area.

People can do all of those things at 7am in my area.
Yes, my kids are up at 630am and so are we. But the point is still common courtesy. My backyard neighbor has a newborn and undoubtedly sleeps during the day. Should I skateboard on a ramp in my backyard just because I'm allowed to? Should I leave the radio on and share my favorite music while I work in the yard?

Sometimes I wonder if people just don't think about it, or simply don't give a crap about others.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:16 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,484,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Years ago before I moved, some people moved in behind me and had 8 little yappy barking dogs in their backyard. Those dogs barked non stop 24 hours a day. I couldn't sleep, couldn't have any windows open for fresh air. I talked to them, they would laugh. I called the police who said there wasn't any city ordinance they could enforce. Everyone around them complained, the people would just laugh. I finally had enough, sold my house and moved. On 5 acres now, neighbors are cows.
Reading this thread - well sometimes it's good to live in a HOA (although I know people complain about them all the time).

We only allow a max of 3 cats/dogs (county ordinance only allows 4 for that matter). No skate board ramps. No yard work or similar allowed before 8 am (don't know "after" time off the top of my head) - on Sunday it's noon. There are rules relating to excessive noise and other noise nuisances as well (including "yappy dogs").

FWIW - the kids on our block (we're the oldest people on our block) are allowed to do normal "kid things" - and I don't mind that at all (our street is a "kid-friendly street" because it's a "C" off a bigger street with more traffic - but we knew we'd have lots of kids when we bought our lot). OTOH - the kids go to school very early - and go to bed very early (I'm sure I'm up later than they are and I don't blast music on my back porch during their bedtime hours). OTOH - at 6:30 am - crack of dawn - the only thing that wakes me up these days is the birds. It's the start of nesting season - and they are insistent - the same 6 note "song" about 200 times in a row - and *loud* as well. Robyn

Old 02-11-2013, 03:27 PM

438 posts, read 660,505 times
Noise pollution bothers me. My neighbors know it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House