Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 06:25 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,411,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
Water to your neighbor and bypassing the meter is theft of services. I'm not touching that one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It's not theft of services. Someone is paying the water bill. It's not bypassing the OP's water meter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTwila View Post
Whoa whoa, absolutely no meter is jumped. The only thing that has jumped is my monthly bill. You gotta be real careful before you start throwing around words like "illegal" or "theft of services." It's very easy to assume.
I stand corrected and apologize for the insinuation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 09:04 AM

508 posts, read 891,345 times
Absolutely accepted. My apologies for not having been clear enough. I have tendency to do that on occasion. But I do thank everyone for their words of wisdom. Right now I'm hoping my vent-less gas heater will warm up my laundry room enough to thaw out the pipe in question.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:05 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,170,925 times
If the pipe is freezing in the wall, it might not matter how warm you get the laundry room. Try directing a fan towards where the pipe comes out of the wall to encourage air circulation around that area.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:26 AM

Good idea. I've heard it's suppose to get warmer by Sunday, that could help, right? Hopefully....

Old 01-24-2013, 01:25 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,170,925 times
Have you noticed what outdoor temperature your pipes freeze? 32 degrees is freezing, but my pipes are good until it gets below 10 degrees. Sunday's low will be 27 degrees. It all depends on the specific temperature that makes your pipes vulnerable. Wind also plays a role. While low temps aren't all above freezing next week, it will be significantly warmer.

Here's the 10 day forecast for our area: 10 Day Weather Forecast for Pittsburgh - weather.com

Old 01-24-2013, 03:23 PM

10,053 posts, read 18,115,895 times
At my old house, which despite being in New Hampshire did not have a basement, I woke up a few times to no water coming out of the kitchen faucets (the sink was on an exterior wall). Needless to say it was pretty scary. I would open the cabinet doors and point a small space heater right at the pipes. Sometimes it took several hours, but eventually I would get a trickle of water out of the pipes, then within an hour or so after that they would be running normally. This never happened again after I had the kitchen remodeled in 2009; the contractor brought the pipes further in (can't remember exactly how he put it). All the bathroom pipes were in interior walls so I had never had a problem with them.

Once, maybe my first year in that house, I started a load of laundry and within a minute or so water was flowing out of a pipe and onto the laundry room floor. I shut the water off to the washer immediately. Later -- much later, as in weeks (after going to the laundromat many times for fear of using my own appliances) -- I tried again and it was fine, so whatever back-up had been in the pipes (ice?) was gone. (Of course now I realize I should have called a plumber immediately, but it was my first house and I was very naive about these problems!!) The laundry room had been created out of the back 1/4 of the garage so was not well insulated. I had my heating guy add a heating vent in there and I never had a problem again.

It sounds like your laundry room is heating up well now, but still, I would take Hopes's advice and point the heater(s) right at the walls where the frozen pipes seem to be. As for leaving the heater on overnight, if you have a CO detector you should be fine as you will know right away if there's a problem!!

Good luck and pls. keep us posted!

Old 01-25-2013, 06:57 PM

6,385 posts, read 13,177,213 times
Go to home depot and get some black pipe insulation and put it on. Will def help.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Go to home depot and get some black pipe insulation and put it on. Will def help.
Yep, I've tried that too. The darn pipe is still frozen, so I guess I'm stuck til Sunday-Monday

Old 01-25-2013, 08:06 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,515,418 times
Putting insulation on the pipes while they are frozen will slow down the transfer of heat from the air to the pipe, thus slowing the thawing of the pipes. Also, if there is any fiberglass or similar insulation there that is wet, get rid of it. Wet fiberglass insulation is nearly the same as no insulation at all.

By the way, your local hardware store probably has that "black pipe insulation" also, and probably someone who will have suggestions for trying to thaw your pipes that are common to your area. Might even have a suggestion of someone who can help you out with getting them thawed. You might want to think of them before you run to the orange, red and blue, or green box stores.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:29 PM

6,385 posts, read 13,177,213 times
Did you place the heat trace tape under the insulation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTwila View Post
Yep, I've tried that too. The darn pipe is still frozen, so I guess I'm stuck til Sunday-Monday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House