Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 04:06 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,376,685 times

Advertisements

Oh gosh. This is why I don't like home repairs!!! I convinced my husband that, "yes we can do it ourselves." So last night went to fool around with the toilet after watching a few online videos. Lo and behold, I heard something crack when attempting to finger twist some top loading screw on the valve (referring to the fill valve) and now the toilet is running like a river!! Great!!

In my newly found wisdom of discovering the shut off valve at the wall, I turned the shut off valve to stop the water. No sooner had I turned the valve, it began leaking somewhat rapidly onto the floor. I called my husband and he managed to turn the water back on and for whatever reason it stopped leaking.

I was supposed to call someone out today but wasn't back home until quite late in the day. I STILL think this is something we can do. But now with the shut off valve leaking in the off position, I'm grateful that we managed to make the leak stop.

We have the old ball assembly and the running water sound did stop initially when I lifted the arm of the ball up.

But now with this whole leakage thing, should I even attempt more? Why is the shut off valve leaking? That seems very serious. If we hadn't gotten it to stop we would have been in big trouble.

Suggestions????

Last edited by oldhousegirl; 01-30-2013 at 05:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 04:26 PM

235 posts, read 1,578,799 times

Do you have an angle stop that looks like this. If so open the handle half way and put a wrench on the nut just behind the handle and turn it clockwise a turn or two, that should stop that leak..

Old 01-30-2013, 04:49 PM

34,093 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
In my newly found wisdom of discovering the shut off valve at the wall, I turned the shut off valve to stop the water. No sooner had I turned the valve, it began leaking somewhat rapidly onto the floor. I called my husband and he managed to turn the water back on and for whatever reason it stopped leaking.

Suggestions????
Hope that the MAIN shutoff for the house doesn't also leak.

((Not that you need to hear this now...
but ALL of these valves should have been "exercised" in the last six months))

With the water to EVERYTHING off... remove and replace the toilet supply valve.
Look for one of the "quarter turn" jobbies.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:00 PM

Hi and thank you so much for your help. Mine is a bit different, I am attaching pictures.

Went to fix the running toilet in the bathroom and now the water shut off valve is leaking!!-0130031850.jpg

Went to fix the running toilet in the bathroom and now the water shut off valve is leaking!!-0130031850a.jpg

In the second photo, note the top screw which is what I think I broke.

Last edited by oldhousegirl; 01-30-2013 at 05:10 PM..

Old 01-30-2013, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Hope that the MAIN shutoff for the house doesn't also leak.

((Not that you need to hear this now...
but ALL of these valves should have been "exercised" in the last six months))

With the water to EVERYTHING off... remove and replace the toilet supply valve.
Look for one of the "quarter turn" jobbies.
Hi there. Thanks. I am able to chuckle about this...somewhat. I appreciate the tip of "exercise", never heard of it. The fact that I have no idea where the main water shut off is as well as the fact that I'm not exactly sure which one exactly is the toilet supply valve - ok brief lapse you're obviously talking about the water shut off at the toilet -leads me to believe that maybe my hubbie is right and I just need to LEAVE IT ALONE!!!

I was fine until the water started leaking at the SHUT OFF VALVE - that's not supposed to happen . Ok I'm going to take a deep breath and look at the toilet again.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:15 PM

And, when/if I call someone, should it be a plumber or a handyman? This seems too small of a job to call out the plumber. Thanks.

Last edited by oldhousegirl; 01-30-2013 at 05:33 PM..

Old 01-30-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:
This seems too small of a job to call out the plumber. Thanks.
It is. Start with a good book.
If the supply valve at the toilet is holding... then go ahead and replace the filler assy.
It's a kindergarden level hoe repair job.

What book? This one:
Amazon.com: New Fix-It-Yourself Manual: How to Repair, Clean, and Maintain Anything and Everything In and Around Your Home (9780895778710): Reader's Digest: Books

Old 01-30-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
It is. Start with a good book.
If the supply valve at the toilet is holding... then go ahead and replace the filler assy.
It's a kindergarden level hoe repair job.

What book? This one:
Amazon.com: New Fix-It-Yourself Manual: How to Repair, Clean, and Maintain Anything and Everything In and Around Your Home (9780895778710): Reader's Digest: Books
The supply valve does seem to be holding. Nothing is leaking. The toilet is just screaming loud with running. I will go the library/bookstore tomorrow and check into this. The fill assy (assembly right?). And I should replace it with the newer version because we have the old ball assembly.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:19 PM

Quick question. Just watched a great video on how to change the assy and it doesn't look bad. But what should I do about the water shut off valve from the wall that began to leak when it was turned off? What if it begins to leak again?

Last edited by oldhousegirl; 01-30-2013 at 06:35 PM..

Old 01-30-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Quick question. Just watched a great video on how to change the assy and it doesn't look bad. But what should I do about the water shut off valve from the wall that began to leak when it was turned off?
I thought you said that husband got that to turn off.
That's what I referred to as "holding".

If not... find the main valve (you need to anyway)
and hope THAT valve "holds"
---

The main valve is almost always (like 99.875 of the time) in the basement...
coming through the wall closest to where the water meter is located.
The water meter ALSO has a valve (that's the last resort).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House