Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 05:53 PM

276 posts, read 987,770 times

Advertisements

I have one outlet that I frequently plug my laptop in and out of, that feels "rusty" now when I plug it in or pull out the plug. When I plug that laptop in to other outlets, I do not get this difficult, hard to plug in, rusty feel. The plug smoothly glides in those. I have a few kitchen outlets that are older, and one bathroom GFI, that also are difficult to push in a plug or pull out the plug. They feel rusty, like there is a lot of friction when you plug and unplug into those as well. Almost feels like a key into a lock, that needs to be lubricated. What is the cause of this? Is it dangerous or normal after much use? What should be done to correct this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 06:00 PM

106,621 posts, read 108,757,383 times
The tension in the receptacle determines how hard or easy. Although some cheapies are just poorly made and out of tolerance.

Hospital grade stuff can take 2 hands they are so tight.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:02 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseWords View Post
I have one outlet that I frequently plug my laptop in...
I have a few kitchen outlets that are older, and one bathroom GFI, that also are difficult
How long have you lived there?
If some time... are all of these suddenly new observations?
Are these British or US style devices?

Quote:
What should be done to correct this?
Before you "fix" anything... make sure something is actually broken.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
How long have you lived there?
If some time... are all of these suddenly new observations?
Are these British or US style devices?

Before you "fix" anything... make sure something is actually broken.
I have lived here 3 years and I didn't have to plug and unplug my laptop in the beginning. I had a better battery life in the beginning, whereas now I have to take the plug and cord into another room to plug it in to use it. But the lower plug on the same outlet is smooth still, whereas the upper one I always use fnow feels rough, difficult, grainy, almost rusty, like a key into a lock that needs lubrication.

The one I describe above is a leviton that it about 3 years old. The rest I have no idea, probably much much older.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:13 PM

Leviton has receptacles ranging in price from .60-.70 cents up to 6-7 bucks .

The gfi's can run from 8 to 24 bucks .

Old 02-01-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
The tension in the receptacle determines how hard or easy. Although some cheapies are just poorly made and out of tolerance.

Hospital grade stuff can take 2 hands they are so tight.
The one I just noticed is doing this, after alot of plugging and unplugging, is a leviton outlet that is only 3 years old. All of my leviton outlets that age are operating fine, but I don't plug and unplug into them. Whatever is plugged in them stays plugged, so they don't get alot of friction. It's only the outlet that I keep unplugging and plugging in to.

It seems any other outlets that I also plug and unplug things alot seem stiff or difficult also, but those are not levitons. I don't know what they are.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Leviton has receptacles ranging in price from .60-.70 cents up to 6-7 bucks .

The gfi's can run from 8 to 24 bucks .

The one I am referring to mostly having changed in a leviton, Tamper Resistant outlet that is 3 years old.

The rest were here when I bought my home so I don't know the maker or the quality or the age.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:19 PM

Well the cheapies are really crappy. .60-.70 cents each. They are cheap contractor grade .dollars to donuts those are what you have.

The cheapies are the 5320. For under 2 bucks they have the cr15 .
It is a commercial grade.

The industrial grade get better and better as you pay more.

5242 5252 5262

The best are hospital grade 8200 and the compact 8200h.

I am a distributor for them so i am familiar with the line

Old 02-01-2013, 08:40 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times
Is it dangerous - unlikely unless the outlet feels hot or you are using high amperage appliances.
What causes it - could be corrosion, could be some mild arcing occurred at some point.
How can it be fixed - the contacts are similar to contacts on an old auto distributor or contacts on a relay, but of much cheaper material. You could cut the breaker off and use a points file to smooth any roughness, but it is a simple job to replace them with something better. An electrical distribution system is not a good place to have junk.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:27 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,607,140 times
I always plug my laptop and desk top into a protected power strip with a GFCI and surge protector.
I suspect the outlet that feels rusty or what might have arced a few times causing a rough spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House