Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2013, 08:50 AM

2 posts, read 4,616 times

Advertisements

I recently came across an American Standard A/C with Furnace in good working condition. The individual upgraded his home system and sold this unit to me for $300. Well, I already have a good system in my home, but my pea brain said buy it and I did. The system is a year 2000 manufactured and it is rated as a 5 ton system. I have a 1200 sq. ft. shop I was thinking of installing this system in as it certainly would be nice to have cooling and heating year round while working in my shop, here in Texas. My concern however is this system maybe "over kill" for my shop. I am not an A/C or heating guru so I'm hoping someone might be able to give some ideas or tips on using this unit is it feasible. If there are any A/C technicians or knowledgeable folks that can guide me, please feel free to advise me and I appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 09:48 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,045,317 times
Well if the shop doesn't have any insulation in it- yeah, you'd probably be OK. But I sure as Hell wouldn't want to pay that bill!!!

If it is insulated; and insulated well, I'd try and resale what you have and use that $$ toward a correctly sized unit.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:12 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,287,094 times
New A/C systems can use HALF the electricity of older units! Same with new refrigerators and freezers.

Do the math on your monthly electric bill. You will see that a new unit will easily pay for itself over several years.

Furnaces are much more efficient too.

A/C is difficult to calculate due to other electric costs and the climate where you live, but a new refrigerator I bought reduced my electric bill by $15 a month. So saving $15 a month is $180 a year. Or $900 over 5 years! It has paid for itself in electric savings!!!!

Also adding insulation is a one time expense. But can drastically reduce cooling and heating expenses. Do that and get a new unit and the monthly electric bill will be much less. A BIG savings in the long run.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:26 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
When I looked into buying a used system for our carraige house, our HVAC guy told me that often a used system ends up costing more than new. You need to clean it completely. Often there are small connecting parts missing which must be purchased or made. Sometimes, it must be modified for your particular application.

If you want super efficient (and quiet) insulate with foam. Costs more, but it works a lot better.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:05 PM

342 posts, read 1,554,543 times
5 tons is probably too much capacity for your shop.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:26 AM

2 posts, read 4,616 times
Thanks for the reply folks and I do appreciate the input. My Shop is insulated for what it's worth. I figured the 5 ton might be a little too much for the shop, but for 300 I couldn't pass it up. If I were to attempt installation, my first issue is the ducting as my ceiling is low slung 8.5 ft transitioning to 10 ft as it moves towards the front of shop. So trying to figure out the ducting would be a nightmare due to clearance issues. Only other alternative would be to attempt a direct blow from the furnace plenum pointing to center of shop, but that in itself seems goofy and impractical. Man what to do??? Big system, not enough space, but I do have plenty of beer Perhaps I should drink a little more on this issue... Thanks for the input folks!

Old 02-07-2013, 06:45 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,299,067 times
Your shop could probably use a 2 ton unit and be fine, even in hot Texas. You might try putting the unit agains one wall and run a duct with drops in several places. Not the best for uniform air flow, but may work. Maybe get a HVAC guy to look at it and suggest a layout.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:43 PM

580 posts, read 449,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deucer View Post
...Big system, not enough space, but I do have plenty of beer Perhaps I should drink a little more on this issue...
Accepted answer^^^

Old 02-09-2013, 09:35 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deucer View Post
I recently came across an American Standard A/C with Furnace in good working condition. The individual upgraded his home system and sold this unit to me for $300.
Put it up on craigslist
You may even get your $300 back
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House