Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 05:38 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,257,364 times

Advertisements

We recently had our wall to wall upstairs bedrooms & hall carpet cleaned, very light carpet. Carpet cleaner (who we always ask for, he does a great job) told us that what I though was dust that would NOT come up along the baseboards, was actually carbon build up from our forced hot air furnace. We burn natural gas, the furnace is 3 years old, filter changed quarterly....

He suggested we have our ducts cleaned/furnace cleaned.

Has any one else run in to this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 06:27 PM

23,596 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Natural gas should not be giving you a carbon buildup. Any chances it was there before and from an oil furnace?

Old 02-17-2013, 06:37 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
If you're getting black soot from anything you need to have it serviced immediately. If you do not have CO detectors do not use the furnace or whatever else might be causing it until you get some. This is not something to screw around with no matter how long it's being going on.Black soot is a sign of incomplete combustion which also causes excessive CO, if the soot is in your house CO will most likely be present too.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:57 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,923,039 times
A 3 year old unit is not going to give carbon black to the house environment unless the heat exchanger has burned thru. The possibility of that is slim and none. And it would get even slimmer that a natural gas burner is giving off that much carbon. Just far too much to be wrong for the event to happen. Probabilities are a lot higher you're burning scented candles.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Natural gas should not be giving you a carbon buildup. Any chances it was there before and from an oil furnace?
We moved in to the house when it was brand new....this is our second furnace for upstairs (two zone heat) b/c when the original one turned 10 years old it couldn't keep up.

My husband said the same thing, about the natural gas, so he's pretty confused. Of course he wasn't home when "carpet guy" told me this, and I had no idea what questions I should ask.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
A 3 year old unit is not going to give carbon black to the house environment unless the heat exchanger has burned thru. The possibility of that is slim and none. And it would get even slimmer that a natural gas burner is giving off that much carbon. Just far too much to be wrong for the event to happen. Probabilities are a lot higher you're burning scented candles.
Actually, I haven't burned scented candles for years. Have a little guy who is sneaky and my older two find burning candles waaaay to fascinating for my comfort. EXCEPT for when Sandy hit in October. Then we burned candles every day (a lot of them) for about 4 days - no power.

I don't remember when I noticed that I couldn't get the carpet cleaned along the baseboards any longer, but I'm pretty sure it was before Sandy hit.

Thanks for the info.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If you're getting black soot from anything you need to have it serviced immediately. If you do not have CO detectors do not use the furnace or whatever else might be causing it until you get some. This is not something to screw around with no matter how long it's being going on.Black soot is a sign of incomplete combustion which also causes excessive CO, if the soot is in your house CO will most likely be present too.

Thanks for the info - and that is something that crossed my mind. We do have Carbon Monoxide detectors on every level of the house.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:16 PM

Thanks for all the posts/info. Tomorrow morning I'm going to call the contractor who put our furnace in and have him come take a look at it as well as another HVAC contractor I have a number for.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:32 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Thanks for the info - and that is something that crossed my mind. We do have Carbon Monoxide detectors on every level of the house.
Ar the very least consider getting one with a readout that gives you PPM to see if you have low levels that would be indicative of a problem but not enough to set off the regular detector.

I don't want to sound like the "sky is falling" but there is lot of people that have died from CO ignoring tell tale signs like soot in the house. Do you have anything else in the house that uses combustibles like a gas cook stove, gas dryer, gas/oil hot water heater or a gas fireplace? Anything that burns something is a possible source of CO.

This "soot" might not be soot and unrelated entirely but it's not something to ignore either.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:33 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
Dust floats around in the air but it has a tendency to stick more to warm areas like around heat registers and it gives the appearance that the dirty streaks came out of the vent but it didn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House