Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 03:47 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,550,698 times

Advertisements

Before we moved into our house we had ceramic tile installed and sealed

I am not convinced the floor has been sealed; when the grout gets wet it changes color [darkens] until it dries - which to me says water is seeping in.

Comments? My father said on his water beaded on the grout.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 06:26 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,729,009 times
Default Yep, it probably ain't sealed........

We don't know exactly what you have for tile. Did the entire floor require a sealer? Is the tile glazed?

In general a glazed tile itself does not require a sealer. But most grouts do. Can get to be a complicated subject.

There is more than one type of sealer. Some incorporate a "Wear Layer", some are designed to penetrate. But as a general rule, once a grout has been sealed with whatever, water should not cause it to change color.

Not all grouts require a sealer, usually those are not affected by water, there are some that have an epoxy base or other such materials.

The general rule is if you test a small area with water, if it changes color then it should be sealed. Again lots of various sealers can be used. The common ones probably have silicon based products.

The question is pretty vague as to the details.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:14 PM

I really am not sure but I gather that the grout should not change color when it gets wet. I think the tiles are glazed - they said they would not need sealing and even that the grout would not need it but the color change concerns me.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:38 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,729,009 times
Default Well like I said it can get complicated......

If you have a more or less standard installation, you probably got a glazed tile with a sanded floor grout. This is a cement based product, actually got some fine sand in it.

Normally floor tile is set with a larger grout line. The other thing you do have to wait a bit to allow the grout to "Cure" before sealing. This makes the grout fairly immune to water penetration, keeps it cleaner, probably has a longer working life, less prone to mildew. Usually you wait at least a couple days before sealing, week might be better. After a proper job, water should not have much effect on it, should not "Get Damp", should not show a color change. The curing part can again be complicated. Not too wet, not too dry, not too hot, etc. You want the bulk of the free water to escape and have the grout in a stable state. Should not be using the floor. Probably not what happens in most balsa wood modern shack construction.

This can get all over the lot depending on exactly what materials / methods were used to do the job. But again in general you do not want the grout to have the ability to absorb water, if it does something is probably wrong. It is also partly cosmetic, unsealed normal grout will get a dirty appearnace a lot quicker.

Sounds like another case of shoddy workmanship and the excuses to cover it up. Ah, yes so much of that is afoot in the land today.

They should explain in vast detail why the grout does not need to be sealed. Usually that is only the case in situations where the materials used are immune to water themselves as part of their design. Probably in the more upscale jobs.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:28 AM

600 posts, read 3,448,477 times
To resolve the issue, just go to your local tile dealer and buy a quart of water-based sealer and apply it yourself. Two or three coats will solve the problem. Easy to apply, except for the tedious hands and knees part.

Regards,
Streamer1212

Old 12-03-2008, 08:21 AM

Well, I am not going to pay them the $150 they charged me for sealing.

These folks came highly recommended and otherwise the job is nicely done at least for now, time will tell.

We had this and a hardwood floor done several weeks before we moved into the house so we would not have to deal with traffic and allow the wood to cure properly before moving in.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:14 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,990,921 times
I've sealed all my grout, but it will still get darker when I wash the floor--but it dries just like new! As long as the color change isn't permanent, don't worry!
If you're unsure if the grout is sealed (the tile itself doesn't need sealing--it's impermeable), then buy a can of sealant at the hardware store--it's cheap, and it works!

Old 12-04-2008, 09:35 AM

2,223 posts, read 2,218,582 times
You can buy silicone grout sealer, at a local Menards or Lowes, for not much money. If I were in your shoes, that's what I'd do. It's really not very complicated or difficult. Apply it yourself. That way you know it's done, and done right.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:06 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
Just buy some sealer spray at a home improvement store. It takes less than an hour to do a large bathroom. I did it three times just to make sure that i did not miss anything.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:51 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
I seal my grout evry five years and have never been able to tell by looking if its sealed. But it is much easier to clean the grout line and it will change colors when wet. Sealers Choice is a good brand from what tile people tell me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House