Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2007, 10:06 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

People Would Rather Risk Their Lives Than Evacuate Their Homes.

Deciding whether to stay in their homes or evacuate is a choice many Californians have had to make this week as wildfires continue to ravage the state, leveling houses and displacing more than 500,000 residents.

ABC News: Even in Emergency Some Won't Leave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 10:09 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,581,754 times
You know, I just couldn't figure this out. I think people are to attached to material items. As if staying in their homes would keep the fire at bay I don't get it.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:13 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
Nothing new. People stay during hurricanes too.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:17 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,581,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
Nothing new. People stay during hurricanes too.
Well hurricanes are a bit different. I lived in Miami for about 12 years. With that, there if warning and you have up-to-date forecasts. This fire situation could go either way depending on which direction the wind wants to blow. In addition you have certain precautions in Miami (i.e. hurricane shutters). In addition, you pretty much know when the storm is expected to hit and can choose to head for a local shelter a few hours before.

With CA and fires - there is no way to determine anything especially when it's not under control. All it takes is one ember to hit your lawn and it can consume your property/home in a matter of seconds.

Old 10-27-2007, 12:48 AM

1,127 posts, read 5,009,746 times
It's difficult to walk out of your home, close the door, and drive away, not knowing if it's going to be there when you manage to get back. That building is not just a house, it's your home. Home is where you want to go when you are having a bad day. Your own bed is where you want to be when you are tired. I don't know anyone who has had an awful day, say fired from a job, and has wanted to go to stay on a cot in a gym or to a hotel.

Having to leave because of an emergency is stressful; when people are stressed they want to be home. I understand how people would want to stay and "protect" their nest. There was nothing I wanted more than to be home after Katrina. I was trying to find missing family and friends, trying to find out if my Hubby and niece, who had stayed, were alive, trying to take care of my devistated mother and son, and trying to find somewhere to sleep all at the same time. The whole time the only thing I wanted was to just go home and sleep in my bed.

Yes, it's not good to stay when "they" tell you to evacuate, your life is more important than a building. But I can understand why someone would stay, home is where the heart is.

My thoughts and prayers go out to those who have lost their homes and communities; I'm so sorry you've had to join "the club".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House