Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 08:38 PM

55 posts, read 68,330 times

Advertisements

So the new backyard neighbors appear to be chain smokers or something. Of course they have every right to smoke on their own property. But i can smell it and it burns my nose and is giving me a headache. They started around 3 PM today and I'm still smelling smoke at 9:30 PM.

The problems
1). My dog, Murphy likes to spend a lot of time outdoors. We have a doggie door and he can come inside whenever he is ready. How unhealthy is it for him to smell outdoor smoke?

2). I like to spend time in the yard with the dogs as well, plus I have chores in the back yard - weed pulling, pit digging, lawn mowing etc..

3). I can even smell smoke as I sit in the living room ( I guess it's coming in through the doggie door.

I turned on a box fan facing the doggie door. I'm not sure if it's working. My nose was already burned before I turned it on. Not feeling better.

There is a 6 foot privacy fence between our properties. How can I reduce the smoke smell? Would an industrial outdoor fan do anything? If I get one, can it stay outside and get rained on?

Any other ideas

Thanks
La Trenda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 12:08 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,514,109 times
Just as unhealthy as it is for you.
Thats nice.
Sounds horrible.
You cant aside from moving.
It will blow it somewhere.
No.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:16 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times
...and i was just gonna say "surely you jest"? I realize some folks are super sensitive to certain things but... life's gonna be tough for you, I'm afraid. If the neighbor is smoking some big hunky cigars and the wind is blowing your way...hold your breath. Only idea I have is gas masks.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:41 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,771,270 times
The only thing I can make of this is that OP must live in a neighborhood where houses are only a few feet apart and the house is so cheaply built that the smoke just penetrates the walls.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:49 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,577,469 times
OP, I feel for you. I really can't stand cigarette smoke. I love spending time outside too, where you think there's lots of fresh air!

They DO have outdoor odor eliminators, called foggers. No idea if they are effective, but they're expensive, have to be covered in the rain, and might add another problem - noise pollution! You can check them out at BioWorld. The cost of the machine is one thing, but the liquid that you use with it is really expensive!!

Another gizmo to look into would be some type of a personal air purifier that you wear around your neck. They're made for travelers to wear on planes. Wouldn't eliminate smoke odor from your hair or clothes, but might be worth a shot.

Would planting tall screening shrubs/flowers agains the fence help at all? Rows of lavender or something else to refocus your nose?

Old 03-31-2013, 07:54 AM

268 posts, read 593,657 times
Personal air purifier....OMG, why didn't I think of that, I could've make millions.

You might want to check your windows and doors and check for anything you may need to caulk.

I doubt it if it's coming through your doggie door as they would have to be smoking some huge cigarettes.

Seems like you are just super super sensitive. Good luck!

Update: I just reread your post and your questions seem very odd to me.....e.g., can you leave a big industrial fan outside in the rain. I just don't know about you Mr./Ms. OP.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:31 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,280,752 times
Get a HEPA air cleaner for your living room and maybe another for the bedroom. Like this...

Whirlpool Air Purifier AP51030K - Walmart.com

For outside, get a P100 respirator (which filters the same as a HEPA air filter). Like this...

3M P100 Particulate Respirator Mask #8293: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

The terms "HEPA" and "P100" designate the quality of the filters. Other filters which do not say that will not be as good.

Here are pictures of dogs with gas masks...
Gas Masks for Dogs

Old 03-31-2013, 03:33 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,642,357 times
There's probably just a very small chance it's also something else that is bothering your nose, but...just in case, here's an url on meth labs.
What Does a Meth Lab Smell Like?

Old 03-31-2013, 04:01 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Get a HEPA air cleaner for your living room and maybe another for the bedroom. Like this...

Whirlpool Air Purifier AP51030K - Walmart.com

For outside, get a P100 respirator (which filters the same as a HEPA air filter). Like this...

3M P100 Particulate Respirator Mask #8293: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

The terms "HEPA" and "P100" designate the quality of the filters. Other filters which do not say that will not be as good.

Here are pictures of dogs with gas masks...
Gas Masks for Dogs
I agree with the HEPA air purifier. I once moved into a rental where the previous owner had kept two big dogs and a cat. The place smelled like a wet dog on a humid day. The stench was almost overwhelming. It wasn't a urine smell. I couldn't get rid of it. No amount of cleaning, mopping, candle burning would get rid of it. The HEPA air purifier was the only thing that made a difference.

Old 03-31-2013, 04:49 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
skunk. A few good whiffs and the cigarette smoke won't bother you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House