Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 04:01 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times

Advertisements

I've heard that all our instant on appliances...Large TV's, computers.....anything that is plugged in still runs current even if off.
I found an interesting link:http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 05:46 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times
I just want to say that I was in the garage today. And it seems like all the tubes and wires and the like between our air handler and our compressor look like they were replaced when we got our new components. Simply because they look like they have 5 years of dust on them - not 16.

We've been very happy with our A/C company and the companies that made our "stuff". OTOH - we have never tried to push our systems beyond their useful lives. So perhaps it's a little of them - and a little of us . Robyn

Old 04-06-2013, 05:54 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times
Guess I would be remiss if I didn't talk about our electric bill - which was what the OP was complaining about. Ours isn't cheap. We have about 3000 sq under AC/heating. We run our AC at 76 in the hot months and our heating at 73 in the cold months here in north Florida (sorry - I'm old and a wuss when it comes to temps that are too hot or too cold). Our temp stuff is probably the biggest part of our power bill.

Our hot water throughout the house is "instant hot water everywhere" - some kind of circulation system - I just change the timer 2x/year when we go to and from daylight savings time. It's on 16 hours a day. I reckon that's our second largest power hog.

We have lots of other smaller power hogs too. And honestly don't try to save on our power bills. Which average about $350/month. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House