Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 02:11 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times

Advertisements

If you want to billy Bob the stucco repair, you could just cut a hole in a board, put the pipe through the hole caulk the board backside, screw it to the wall and then use caulk along the top of the board so water sheeting down the wall is directed out over the face of the board. Paint the whole mess to match the stucco and grab a brewski. Sure it looks like crap, but it is free and it is hidden behind the bushes anyway. I woudl not do that, but you could if you do not mind it looking terrible. (After your fifth beer it will not look bad at all and you may not be able to see it behind the bushes anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 04:20 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
You might want to add some wood blocking around that new pipe (inside the wall) to forestall the same problem happening again. there are some metal half round clips you can screw into the wood for extra rigidity.

Old 04-23-2013, 04:32 PM

342 posts, read 1,554,750 times
I don't know what its like inside the wall but you shouldn't have had to disturb the stucco at all. Your soldering work looks okay , though, and a good choice for a valve.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:56 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Shark bite is permanent. They are rated for 25 years. It is just a new way to connect pipes. I have used them several times maybe 10- 20 of them. The oldest I think is about 5 years old. I never had any problems with them except where I failed to follow the instructions. You must install them according to the instructions, cut evenly, deburr the pipe, install them straight. They are frankly amazing if you follow the instructions. You push them on an laugh. That cannot be it. It cannto possibly be that simple. It is. "Here dad, let me install your new sink faucet- it will take me five minutes. No you do not need to call a plumber."

Plumbers hate them and many hate PEX. They hate shark bites because it takes away work from them. They hate pex because they know copper and must either learn something new (pex) or see their business dwindle. Cannot blame them for spreading every negative thing they can think of or hear about, but the bottom line is there are just new better ways to do plumbing. The downside to shark bites right now is they are expensive. As they become more and more common, they will get cheaper. One big upside is the device can be turned after it is set. Thus, if the angle is not quite right, you can adjust it in seconds. Another big upside is you can remove them in a matter of seconds, and then re-instal them. They are perfect for connecting faucets and other things that will eventually wear out and be replaced. They are also perfect for when you may want to relocate something later. I prefer them for all terminations. I am not ready to bury them inside a wall where you cannot access them, but that is really just because they are newish. They said the same thing about PEX at first and it has proved to be superior to copper in every way. Having tested these things enough times and for long enough to have a comfort level with them, I am convinced this is the future of plumbing.

Yes there will be lots of plumbers coming in and telling you about how they had to clean up after a mess caused by shark bites, however when you look into these stories you find they are either untrue, or caused by a failure to follow directions (usually failing to deburr the pipe - which is amazing since it only takes seconds.). You cannot hold it against plumbers for attacking the new products that make pluming easy or different at every opportunity, but these new things are here, and they are becoming more and more commonly used.

I have heard of buildings plumbed entirely with shark bites. Sometimes 1000 of them. With reportedly no problems. However I do not know why this would be done, the cost must be insane.
Haha! I LOVE PEX! Rehau system to be presice. Takes work away? Hardly, sir. Sharkbites give homeowners a good option, for simple repairs, and I'm all for it. Everlock is a better system, but it requires expensive tools to install properly. Tools that I connsider the best investment I ever made.

Not all plumbers are still in the 60s man. Lol. We like technology too. One of my trademarks, is, I have no issue helping homeowners with do it yourself methods, preventative maintenance etc. This willigness to help has earned me a LOT of businesss.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Haha! I LOVE PEX! Rehau system to be presice. Takes work away? Hardly, sir. Sharkbites give homeowners a good option, for simple repairs, and I'm all for it. Everlock is a better system, but it requires expensive tools to install properly. Tools that I connsider the best investment I ever made.

Not all plumbers are still in the 60s man. Lol. We like technology too. One of my trademarks, is, I have no issue helping homeowners with do it yourself methods, preventative maintenance etc. This willigness to help has earned me a LOT of businesss.
Yeah well you probably show up when you make an appointment and most likely complete a job all the way to the end without going away for six weeks in the middle and leaving the homeowner to schedule other work around your absence. In fact you have probably completed jobs for the same price you quote at the beginning. And when you contract for straight pex runs from each device to a manifold, you probably go an actually do that instead of chopping up the pex and installing trunk and branch with terrible resulting volume output in the showers. My guess is you have not even dropped off a handful of high school drop outs and given them the plans for a different house and left them to instal block outs in the concrete for some other house plan. So - you are not a normal plumber. Wierdo!

Old 04-24-2013, 02:13 PM

936 posts, read 2,082,957 times
I think I will probably try what you suggested if I don't find better solution online this weekend. Stucco guy quoted me $185 for this job. I was think under $100.

Quote:
If you want to billy Bob the stucco repair, you could just cut a hole in a board, put the pipe through the hole caulk the board backside, screw it to the wall and then use caulk along the top of the board so water sheeting down the wall is directed out over the face of the board. Paint the whole mess to match the stucco and grab a brewski. Sure it looks like crap, but it is free and it is hidden behind the bushes anyway. I woudl not do that, but you could if you do not mind it looking terrible. (After your fifth beer it will not look bad at all and you may not be able to see it behind the bushes anyway.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:38 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Yeah well you probably show up when you make an appointment and most likely complete a job all the way to the end without going away for six weeks in the middle and leaving the homeowner to schedule other work around your absence. In fact you have probably completed jobs for the same price you quote at the beginning. And when you contract for straight pex runs from each device to a manifold, you probably go an actually do that instead of chopping up the pex and installing trunk and branch with terrible resulting volume output in the showers. My guess is you have not even dropped off a handful of high school drop outs and given them the plans for a different house and left them to instal block outs in the concrete for some other house plan. So - you are not a normal plumber. Wierdo!
Lmao! Yea...guess I'm a throwback. Ya know, I actually understand the relationship of pressure and volume, know the difference twixt level and plumb, and, get this, I have responded to quite a few calls from widowed, elderly ladies, scratching by on SS, anx fixed things for nothing. Well, a couple of them were to proud for that, so I just charged enough for lunch money.

Yea....I am a bit off plumb. Lol

Old 04-26-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Lmao! Yea...guess I'm a throwback. Ya know, I actually understand the relationship of pressure and volume, know the difference twixt level and plumb, and, get this, I have responded to quite a few calls from widowed, elderly ladies, scratching by on SS, anx fixed things for nothing. Well, a couple of them were to proud for that, so I just charged enough for lunch money.

You need help. Does the plumbers union offer counseling?

HAve you ever been interested in moving to South Eastern Michigan? Please?

Old 04-28-2013, 04:50 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Quote:

If we ever meet I'd like to shake your hand and buy you a beer, or three. A man who believes as I do. We seem to be a rare breed these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House