Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 04:42 PM

21 posts, read 40,177 times

Advertisements

Just this week, I walked away from a condo in St. Petersburg, Florida, with a Stab Lok panel and aluminum wiring. The real estate agent tried and tried to make me think that I was just a worrywart because after all, I can get the panel and wiring in THAT UNIT fixed. Yes, but I said to him, what about the other units that are attached to me? He basically told me that I was being ridiculous for walking away from the deal (of course, real estate agents are out for ONE THING: the COMMISSION), but I AGREE WITH BARKING SPIDER. A condo is ATTACHED to other condos, and their problems are YOUR PROBLEMS. Personally, I don't want to die in a fire because someone next door to me or above me or below me didn't get the Stab Lok panel and aluminum wiring replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
Someone needs to get better information about FPE, or Federal Pacific Stab Lok panels and breakers.
Very few of the offending breakers have been replaced. There are tons of them out there, waiting.

1971, you probably don't have to worry about solid conductor aluminum wiring (mostly later in the 70's). If I had a FPE AND aluminum wiring, I would run away - but thats me. Some have a different threshold for electrical fires than I do.

If you replace your panel and no one else does, you have the same risk as you would have if another condo in your building has a fire. Will it affect your unit? I've inspected several hundred homes with FPE panels. The results have ranged from no visible problems, to panels with burned and melted components.

My two cents? Because of what I have seen, and what I know about FPE panels and breakers, I probably would not buy a condo with one in it. A house? Yes, because I could change out the panel with no worries. A condo where I have neighbors next to me, above and below me with FPE time bombs (sorry, panels) - no thanks. But again, that's just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 04:48 PM

21 posts, read 40,177 times
Default Do yourself a favor and WALK AWAY from that condo

Yes, the other units will still pose a fire hazard to your unit even if you get your unit fixed. Unless you want to worry every night you put your head on the pillow that you might die in a condo fire, WALK AWAY from that condo. I faced a similar situation, and I JUST SAID NO to the deal and to the condo. And no, the HOA is NOT LIKELY to require that 400 panels be replaced. Obviously you know little to nothing about the workings of an HOA or living in a condo. PLEASE listen to Barking Spider and me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerjoan View Post
We are purchasing a condo in a 400+ unit building. Our inspector found the unit has a hazardous Stab-Lok circuit breaker panel and must be replaced. We will replace ours, but wouldn't the presence of such defective Stab-Lok panels in other units still pose a electrical/fire hazard? Is the HOA responsible for seeing that all such panels be replaced? Thanks, Farmerjoan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House