Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 04:16 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I don't know where you live (North Carolina?), but it is very unusual for a window replacement to pay for itself in energy savings.
Oh come on, it is no more unusual than winning powerball, and people still buy powerball tickets, don't they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 04:18 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,774,235 times
1920s houses usually have very nice windows. And they're generally made from virgin heartwood. Only the rich can afford new windows made from wood that good. Old ones are generally worth repairing, and a competent finish carpenter can do it. Personally, for windows unlikely to be opened, I'd add storm windows where the screens would be. These will insulate both thermally and acoustically. I'd either simply have the original screen frames glazed, or try to replicate the look of the old screen frames.

A lot of period homes (including modern ones from the Fifties and Sixties) are being RUINED by little idiots popping in cheap new 'insulated' windows. Most of the time, the windows have to be 'made to fit', by filling in around them. What a mess!

Unless you can have a millwork shop replicate the original windows, or order well-fitting windows from one of the better custom outfits, it's far better to repair the old ones.

I'm assuming you're in a gentrifying neighborhood, where authenticity is appreciated, and people want quaint old houses with authentic details. If, on the other hand, the area is "transitioning" (to some sort of Third World demographic), then newness, regardless of quality or authenticity, will be all that is desired.

Good rule of thumb: If people moving into the neighborhood are cutting down the trees and shrubs, then it's "transitioning". Cheap and shiny are the way to go.

If, however, the new people moving in are planting more trees and shrubs, then it's the area is gentrifying. Doing things right/authentic/tastefully will mean the house will sell much faster.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
1920s houses usually have very nice windows. And they're generally made from virgin heartwood. Only the rich can afford new windows made from wood that good. Old ones are generally worth repairing, and a competent finish carpenter can do it. Personally, for windows unlikely to be opened, I'd add storm windows where the screens would be. These will insulate both thermally and acoustically. I'd either simply have the original screen frames glazed, or try to replicate the look of the old screen frames.

A lot of period homes (including modern ones from the Fifties and Sixties) are being RUINED by little idiots popping in cheap new 'insulated' windows. Most of the time, the windows have to be 'made to fit', by filling in around them. What a mess!

Unless you can have a millwork shop replicate the original windows, or order well-fitting windows from one of the better custom outfits, it's far better to repair the old ones.

I'm assuming you're in a gentrifying neighborhood, where authenticity is appreciated, and people want quaint old houses with authentic details. If, on the other hand, the area is "transitioning" (to some sort of Third World demographic), then newness, regardless of quality or authenticity, will be all that is desired.

Good rule of thumb: If people moving into the neighborhood are cutting down the trees and shrubs, then it's "transitioning". Cheap and shiny are the way to go.

If, however, the new people moving in are planting more trees and shrubs, then it's the area is gentrifying. Doing things right/authentic/tastefully will mean the house will sell much faster.
My favorite post of the week!

Old 04-29-2013, 05:26 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,899,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post

I'm with Coldjensens. This is the absolute best advice one could make. I can't believe how many people absolutely destroy the inherent value of a classic house with its original architectural windows with new replacements.
I have a few (out of 35) original windows in my 1920s house that have some rot and need to be repaired and/or rebuilt, it won't be cheap but it will be a hell of a lot less expensive than completely ruining the integrity of my house with cheap new vinyl ones, even new wood ones would never compare to rebuilding the original ones using as much of the original material as possible. My house would probably drop in value by about $300k+ if I replaced my windows with new vinyl ones- that is if anybody could even stomach such a beautiful little house with plastic windows and would even buy it.

Obviously it has to do with the actual building, the area (and with a '20s house already having vinyl siding you are certainly in an area that is way different than ours) and what's going on in the surrounding community but here, historic, classic and original has all the value.

Last edited by T. Damon; 04-29-2013 at 05:34 PM..

Old 04-30-2013, 08:46 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
I used to own a house with wood windows, and I remember how much of a pain it is to scrape the paint, strip the glazing, put on new glaze, prime, and repaint. You couldn't pay me enough to do that again, especially when it's going to start looking bad again in 5 years.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I used to own a house with wood windows, and I remember how much of a pain it is to scrape the paint, strip the glazing, put on new glaze, prime, and repaint. You couldn't pay me enough to do that again, especially when it's going to start looking bad again in 5 years.
You did it wrong. Glazing should last for 30 years easily. Most of the time, it is not necessary to repaint the trim when you repaint the siding. Trim paint also tends to hold up for decades when it is done correctly.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:50 AM

133 posts, read 494,146 times
Thanks...i have vinyl siding (came with house) so its not like i have some kind of period victorian...does that change the analysis any? I have nothing against the old windows, but they are peeling pretty bad.

Inside my house, I have some nice period details. House in area filled with older houses, in good condition.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:57 AM

I do not think it changes it. Unless you have windows that are completely unsalvageable, it is generally less practical to replace them with plastic than to repair the windows you have. If you think it necessary to replace the windows, you can frequently obtain decent quality custom made windows for the same price as chintzy plastic ones. However it is pretty rare that existing windows cannot be repaired.

Your house did not come with vinyl siding in the 1920s. There is probably some other siding underneath the vinyl. Since vinyl siding is the poor mans answer to a house in need of paint, it is unlikely they went to the expense of removing the siding before covering the house in vinyl. There is probably wood or possibly asbestos siding underneath the vinyl. Some day someone may want to come along and remove the vinyl and restore the original siding.

Painting vinyl is generally a bad idea. It is not very porous, it is soft, and flexes and the paint will crack and peel eventually. However vinyl siding does usually respond well to a good scrubbing. If you can make it reasonably white again and paint your windows and trim (after having them repaired), you will substantially improve the look of your house. Then add some landscaping work, and you can make a curb appeal soar. The remaining money you saved can either go toward your next down payment or into other improvements that will improve marketability.

If you do not think the vinyl siding can be cleaned, you may want to look into replacing it. That will not cost much more than painting and it will not look awful a week after it is done (like painting will in most cases). At a minimum try cleaning a few pieces and see how it looks. It if will nto clean up, then get a price to replace it.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 04-30-2013 at 11:05 AM..

Old 04-30-2013, 03:31 PM

133 posts, read 494,146 times
I will get windows repainted. About half the price and probably better quality than new stuff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House