Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2013, 03:10 PM

7,328 posts, read 12,370,897 times

Advertisements

On June 5, I will be heading over to visit my aunt in Virginia Beach. She has purchased a Filtrete 3M50 thermostat, and she wants me to install it for her. Her system is a heat pump with electric auxiliary heat. Looking at the wiring instructions here:
http://www.radiothermostat.com/filtr...on-27may10.pdf

The worded instructions say to connect the R wire to the RH terminal, while the diagram shows it connected to the RC terminal. Which is it? Does it actually matter considering there is a jumper between the two terminals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 04:08 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,737,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
On June 5, I will be heading over to visit my aunt in Virginia Beach. She has purchased a Filtrete 3M50 thermostat, and she wants me to install it for her. Her system is a heat pump with electric auxiliary heat. Looking at the wiring instructions here:
http://www.radiothermostat.com/filtr...on-27may10.pdf

The worded instructions say to connect the R wire to the RH terminal, while the diagram shows it connected to the RC terminal. Which is it? Does it actually matter considering there is a jumper between the two terminals?
When you get there and remove the old one see how many wires you have. The newer air handlers have two speeds. The wiring should become clear when you see what you have to work with.

I have two zones, with two speed handlers. The original wire was only 4 wires so I had the AC guys drop new 7 wire when they installed the new units. (Two stage on heat and cool, one wire not used.) If you have only 4 wire it is real simple to hook up.

It looks confusing, but it really isn't when you read through the instructions one by one. Oh, and print that .pdf because the manual that comes with it is almost unreadable.

They work GREAT!

Old 05-21-2013, 04:38 PM

7,328 posts, read 12,370,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregm View Post
When you get there and remove the old one see how many wires you have. The newer air handlers have two speeds. The wiring should become clear when you see what you have to work with.

I have two zones, with two speed handlers. The original wire was only 4 wires so I had the AC guys drop new 7 wire when they installed the new units. (Two stage on heat and cool, one wire not used.) If you have only 4 wire it is real simple to hook up.

It looks confusing, but it really isn't when you read through the instructions one by one. Oh, and print that .pdf because the manual that comes with it is almost unreadable.

They work GREAT!
She just got a new 13 SEER Goodman heat pump to replace her older Janitrol unit, however, the existing air handler was retained. The last time I was there, she simply had an analog Trane thermostat. Not sure how old the air handler is, however, I don't believe she has a two-speed air handler.

Assuming she has the 5 wire setup for heat pumps with aux heat, should the R wire connect to the RH or the RC terminal? The text instructions say to connect it to the RH terminal but the diagram says to connect it to the RC terminal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House