Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2010, 04:31 PM

1,063 posts, read 2,463,493 times

Advertisements

Hi. This home was built four and a half years ago and this is the fifth winter here. I have two heating zones (upstairs and downstairs). For some reason, the downstairs thermostat seems to be working as it always has, but this year, it seems that the only way for the upstairs heat to kick on is if I crank the downstairs at around 72. The upstairs will be around 62 to 64...sometimes goes lower if I don't do it (given the icy cold temps lately). It used to be where I could turn them on, independent of the other. Any ideas as to why that has changed? This has been happening even when it's not terribly cold and I just want to get the chill off. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 04:38 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Is it in a different mode? Like some sort of programmed mode?
Is either thermostat being thermally affected in some different way, like for some reason the sun can shine one one, or one is near a space heater?
Does either have a battery backup which may be out of charge?
Can you simply switch thermostats to see what affect that might have?
Could one thermostat somehow be out of calibration (reads 64F when it is actually 70F)?

Old 01-03-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Is it in a different mode? Like some sort of programmed mode?
Is either thermostat being thermally affected in some different way, like for some reason the sun can shine one one, or one is near a space heater?
Does either have a battery backup which may be out of charge?
Can you simply switch thermostats to see what affect that might have?
Could one thermostat somehow be out of calibration (reads 64F when it is actually 70F)?
I don't believe it is in a different mode. Both thermostats are a different company name. The downstairs one is made by Robertshaw and the upstairs one is a Honeywell. There is no sunshine or space heater nearby. The batteries are still fine on the Robertshaw one, but I'm afraid to force the Honeywell to see if I can get it apart. I'm sure I have the manuals for everything when this house was built. I will have to check into that. No, I can't simply switch thermostats, but I appreciate the suggestion. I suppose it is quite possible that one might be out of calibration, as you've suggested.
Here's how I have them set:
Downstairs: Robertshaw, rectangular (battery powered)
Settings show: System: ON - OFF (I have set to ON)
Auto - ON (I have set to Auto)
Upstairs: Honeywell (Round)
Left Side setting says: COOL-OFF-HEAT (I have it on HEAT)
Right Side setting says: Fan On .. AUTO (I have it on Auto)
I don't have a fan. It's baseboard heat in the upstairs bedrooms. For what it's worth, the boiler is a Slant/Fin, Victory II, Gas Fired and uses propane. I'm sure it's something very simple to figure out.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:31 AM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times
You might have a bad upstairs zone valve.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You might have a bad upstairs zone valve.
Ok, thanks, I'll look into that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House