Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 08:17 PM

7,639 posts, read 8,711,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
I think that's a good compromise. I was going to suggest a camera with it's own onboard storage (SD card) could be another option, but the obvious problem there is that the suspect/culprit could just take the whole thing.
Thanks. I'm actually leaning towards that (against dumb perpetrators at least). There are some really small ones which I think will be easy to disguise. They can be carried for travel purpose, too--e.g. used in hotels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 12:26 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,462,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
Get a camera system with a dvr. That's what I did (for outdoor cameras that are hardwired), but in any case it's a good idea.

Then you don't need to worry about leaving your computer on all of the time of worry about your windows machine crashing at night...

Alternatively, you can pay for a subscription service to store your video in the cloud. Just remember nothing in the cloud is private.
This is probably the most straightforward, hassle-free solution. Everything is self-contained, and simple to set up. You also don't have to rely on a computer.

I helped my father install a Swann system in their home. It has 4 cameras, and the DVR can handle up to 8, if my parents want to add cameras later on. Recording can be motion-activated, can record continuously, or can be configured to record on a schedule. The cameras work in complete darkness via. infrared light. The cables that connect the cameras to the DVR contain power and video signals, making setup very easy. Sound can be added to up to 4 (?) cameras, though microphones and audio cables are no included. The DVR can connect to computers via. a network for setup, to monitor live video, and to review recorded video. You can also view live video remotely via. a iPhone or Android app (not recorded video, though.) I think the system was around $250 - $300 from a discount warehouse. There are certainly less expensive alternatives, but IMO, this is a very good price for what you get.

Old 07-05-2013, 05:39 PM

123 posts, read 247,767 times
I am looking for recommendations for a camera that will be used to view property/2nd home from remote location.

I am looking for:
-quality picture/resolution
-WiFi connection to router without a computer
-ability to reset itself and continue working after power outage
-i am not so much interested in recording; will view from home computer or iPhone.
-only need 2 or so cameras

please help

Thanks!

Old 01-20-2014, 06:40 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,495,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Martia View Post
I am looking for recommendations for a camera that will be used to view property/2nd home from remote location.

I am looking for:
-quality picture/resolution
-WiFi connection to router without a computer
-ability to reset itself and continue working after power outage
-i am not so much interested in recording; will view from home computer or iPhone.
-only need 2 or so cameras

please help

Thanks!
Sounds exactly what I was/am looking for. I was completely confused at best buy on Saturday and I find myself to be fairly tech savy.

There are so many options and prices are all over the board.

I didn't really want to spend more then 200$ either.

I ended up buying the cheaper (original) drop-cam online. It seems like every time I try to hook something into my network its a nightmare so the easy setup sold me, plus it had great reviews and high quality image. I figure If I want to have a 2 camera system I will eventually buy the dropcampro and have it view in a different direction.

I will let you know how I like it when I get it.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:10 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times
The dropcam seems to have some nice features and easy to install. However from what I’m seeing there is a yearly fee to view the video from the cloud and a seven day stored recording. A person must also have an iphone and use an app for this service. The wiring of the unit (camera) appears to be only 10 foot. I wonder if it can be lengthened to get further away from the router, and if so – how are away can it be placed from the router?

Dropcam Pro Review - Wireless Home Security Camera - LAPTOP

Old 01-20-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
The dropcam seems to have some nice features and easy to install. However from what I’m seeing there is a yearly fee to view the video from the cloud and a seven day stored recording. A person must also have an iphone and use an app for this service. The wiring of the unit (camera) appears to be only 10 foot. I wonder if it can be lengthened to get further away from the router, and if so – how are away can it be placed from the router?

Dropcam Pro Review - Wireless Home Security Camera - LAPTOP

I believe there is only a fee if you want to have your video recorded. The 10 foot wire is only for the power, I believe the data gets fed to the router wirelessly.

Ill let you know how I make out with mine.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:35 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times
^^ Thanks Chris. I would appreciate an update on how things are going with this type of camera. I checked the website but couldn't find everything I wanted to know about. If the cord is only for power and it works wireless back to the router I wonder "how far" away it can be placed? That's important for what I'm planing or thinking about in the near future. Please keep the link here updated with how things are going. thanks again.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:02 AM

OK, here is my Official review. Got the camera last night. Set it up in my living room.

I didn't get the Pro version, just the regular version 150$ one.

I had to plug it into a usb port on my home computer and assign it to my house network. The setup really was super easy. This was my biggest concern because I have an old desktop where the USB ports don't always work. yet they even managed to work with this drop cam, I also have a finicky wireless router which I find difficult to connect to, even that was a non-issue. once the Drop-Cam was hooked up to my network I was able to unplug it from the computer and move it to the location of my choice.

There is a 10 foot power cable that you must plug into an electrical outlet, that's it. I first moved it 25 feet or so away from the wireless router and through about 3-4 walls and a chimney and the connection worked just fine.

So the setup really is that easy.

You can login to the drop cam website and view it on any desktop/laptop or you can download the app for android or iphone or a tablet and view it on there. all easy as pie.

As for the quality of the image, I'm not really impressed, I bought this camera because it was supposed to be 720p HD quality. nothing about it seems HD! even at 15 feet from the camera it looks pretty blotchy, even during the daylight. I figured I would be able to make out a license plate in the driveway 25 feet away during the day, eh, don't think that will be possible.

However it does upload continuously to the cloud and the live streaming is pretty cool to watch

The night vision however works Excellent if your looking into a pitch black room. If your pointing it out a window at night, forget about it, the reflection off the glass totally ruins any chance of a view.

The microphone and speaker work pretty good. I fully plan on messing with my dog.

There is however a 2-4 second delay in the video.

The Cloud recording is pretty nice, but im not sure if Ill keep it after the free 14 day trail expires (10$ a month)

The Cloud recording also does motion and sound detection and marks those spots on your video history and will send an alert to your phone as well.

Let me know if you have any more questions

*edit, I just called best buy, im going to exchange it for the pro version for 50$ more. the field of vision is 20 degrees larger which will help me see more of the room im looking at plus the quality is better.
-Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Home security cameras?-dayvid.jpg   Home security cameras?-nightvid.jpg  

Last edited by chris410; 01-23-2014 at 08:11 AM..

Old 01-23-2014, 08:38 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
If your pointing it out a window at night, forget about it, the reflection off the glass totally ruins any chance of a view.
I just wanted to touch on this bit. I haven't worked with the Dropcam specifically, but in using my Foscams I have pointed one out a window before and gotten it to take still photos on motion at night. The trick is to angle it and have it near but not right up at the window. Depending upon ultimate placement there was often still some reflection from IR illumination, but it was only a small part of the image and the rest was usable.

We had a cat walking by regularly out there at night right up near a sliding glass patio door, and this setup would get pics of it easily enough. For other security? Maybe not ideal but with a little tweaking you might find a position that would be adequate for certain purposes.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I just wanted to touch on this bit. I haven't worked with the Dropcam specifically, but in using my Foscams I have pointed one out a window before and gotten it to take still photos on motion at night. The trick is to angle it and have it near but not right up at the window. Depending upon ultimate placement there was often still some reflection from IR illumination, but it was only a small part of the image and the rest was usable.

We had a cat walking by regularly out there at night right up near a sliding glass patio door, and this setup would get pics of it easily enough. For other security? Maybe not ideal but with a little tweaking you might find a position that would be adequate for certain purposes.
Hmm, ill have to try this, I was able to point it out the window with the IR turned off, and over my driveway i have motion sensor lights so the image is still OK at night, see the pic
Attached Thumbnails
Home security cameras?-outsidenight.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House