Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 08:50 AM

15 posts, read 40,611 times

Advertisements

We've lived in out new house in LV for almost a year now. This house came with loads of tile and light(white) grout. With 3 kids and 2 dogs, the heavy traffic areas are looking awful. I figure the people that have lived here the longest will have great tips on cleaning and maintaining tile. Please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 11:12 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,939,644 times
You have to clean the grout...then seal the grout so it won't dirty as quickly.

here are two of tons of How to videos on You tube.

cleaning:

Cleaning Tip: How to Clean Tile Grout - Easy, best way - no harsh chemicals - YouTube

sealing:

Video: How to Seal Ceramic Tiles in a Bathroom | eHow

good luck

Old 05-26-2013, 01:33 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
Depends on the tile. And the grout.

Old 05-26-2013, 03:32 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
We have limestone floors but the same problem. Maybe a little worse as limestone is somewhat porous while most tiles are not.

I would suggest a professional particular for dirty white grout. And a professional sealing. We have ours done every three years at a cost of around $500. We have about 1250 sf of limestone. You should be able to do it for half that amount.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:50 PM

421 posts, read 898,277 times
Home Depot has a terrific grout cleaner if you don't want to pay a professional - just make sure you get the grout brushes too. They also have sealer

Old 05-28-2013, 10:19 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,481,288 times
I have the small, square ceramic tiles in the floor of one of my showers. I had tried everything from the grout cleaner at Lowes to a paste of Comet and Clorox bleach (I don't think you're supposed to mix the two, but I was desperate). The grout cleaner did almost nothing, and the paste worked somewhat but not good enough.

After I saw the video in post #2, I was skeptical but decided to give the hydrogen peroxide/baking soda a try. I was amazed. It took a lot of scrubbing, but it came very clean. It's a great way to clean a shower or small area.

Old 12-05-2014, 05:14 PM

19 posts, read 26,514 times
Well you need to clean and seal your grout for maximum coverage. Cleaning your grout will only clean off the dirt on the surface and sealing it will ensure debris doesn't get inside the grout lines. You can use a bleach based cleaner like the Tilex Grout Pen or a standard pH balanced cleaner like the Hoover Grout Cleaner. Found some reviews here: www.bestgroutcleaners.com

Old 12-05-2014, 09:03 PM

92 posts, read 111,634 times
Depends on your tile..limestone,travertine,marble,are not to be cleaned with big box store grout cleaners,only ceramic tile..

Old 12-10-2014, 12:05 AM

252 posts, read 580,618 times
Laticrete worked for me. It's a grout paint that lasts and lasts. I applied it to unsealed white grout in the kitchen over 6 years ago. No problems, no peeling, and easy to keep clean with just a damp cloth along the grout lines every week or two.

Old 04-17-2016, 10:48 PM

6 posts, read 12,790 times
Default Don't use sealers from big box stores.

We have been in the restoration industry now for over 15 years and Home Depot or big box store sealers never last. We received call backs from customers within one year. I would highly recommend cleaning your grout and sealing it with a product called Caponi. It's not cheap but it last and you can scrub the sealer, it will not wear off. I would strongly recommend using waterbase sealers, if you want your restoration to last. The product has a smell as its solvent but it will dissipate within a couple hours. You should be able to find the product online or you can contact the manufacture and find out where you can purchase. I have copied and paste the url.... http://www.pFOkUS.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House