Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you pay for annual furnace inspections?
Always, but most people I know, do not. 3 15.79%
Never, but most people I know, do. 0 0%
Always, and most people I know do also. 4 21.05%
Never, and I dont know many other people who do. 12 63.16%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 08:59 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,207 times

Advertisements

Someone recently asked me if I hired a furnace inspector each year. They acted surprised when I said no. I never had any issues with my furnaces in any home, and never paid for an inspection either (unless the inspection was for a home sale and that is another topic).

The person who acted surprised and told me that "everyone does" then admitted that they don't get one either...I think I only know 1 person who pays for this each year.

Do you get one each year? Do most people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 09:02 AM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times
What type of furnace?

I have a service/maintenance contract with my fuel oil supplier which covers a yearly inspection, parts replacement and burner tune-up. Oil furnaces are a bit more involved than natural gas ones.

If you have natural gas mostly all you need to do is change the filters.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:04 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Not annual, but I know when mine was new, which was not that long ago, about 5-6 years. After a few years I got it checked and cleaned, and I'm going to get another one this fall. It's a natural gas furnace. It only costs like 70 bucks or something.

If the thing was old and I didn't know how much it was cared for, I probably would get it annually. That is how I caught a problem with my old furnace.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:14 AM

2,186 posts, read 4,573,088 times
Yes, always. We depend on it, and it is one less thing to worry about. Also, come wintertime, if the heat goes out we get faster service because of our maintenance contract. Never have to worry about the furnace - it's a good thing.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:18 AM

273 posts, read 957,264 times
It depends.

With oil definitely yes. It seemed worth it, and preferable to a failure on a Friday night on a holiday weekend or when we were away for a few days. I believe it also helps improve efficiency/performance.

With gas (have had both natural and propane over the years) only every 5 or more years, maybe never. Check with manufacturer recommendations/manual etc. if a question.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:35 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
With our old oil fired furnace a yearly inspection was required by our home owners insurance policy..
Even if it werent required it certainly makes for a wise move as things can happen with an oil fired furnace and its venting system that can ruin your day if things go wrong..
The annual inspection was performed by a technician who worked as a subcontractor for the oil company, cost around $125..
We've since switched to electric heating, much cheaper and safer and quieter in my opinion....

Old 06-20-2013, 11:47 AM

211 posts, read 409,480 times
I get my HVAC system serviced/checked fall for the gas furnace and spring for the AC. They system is now 19 years old and running fine, but since it is older I feel it is best to get it checked over, plus it is a brand that is sometimes known to be of questionable quality (Goodman). Service plan is under 130 per year and includes a 20% discount if any parts are needed.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:21 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,923,039 times
Didn't vote as there was no option for every other year. We occasionally have winters here where the furnace never comes on. It may get into the 40's at night but the 80's during the day so it's not required for the furnace to run. Most often Christmas will find us in T-shirts and the A/C running. Rarely though do folks here have the gas furnaces checked.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:41 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,597,080 times
I did the first year since it was part of the purchase. But not since. It's 3 years old. I do buy my own filter (replaced annually) and humifier water panel (also replaced annually) and since it's so new, I think I'm fine. The mark-ups on the filter and water panel are substantial when ordered through the furnace maintenance company. So I'd rather buy them myself and replace them myself.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:49 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Yes, but I have no idea about what other people do.

I have an oil furnace, and if you don't have them cleaned at least every other year they just don't work right.

I blew off last year's cleaning because I knew I'd be getting a new furnace at some point during the season.

When I had a gas furnace/central air, I had the AC tuned up annually, but the gas furnace cleaned only every other year when the furnace was still relatively young; after it was about 10 years old I had it cleaned every year.

I have never purchased a service plan; they seem like a ripoff and the company I use is very quick to respond when you have a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House