Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 07:40 PM

2 posts, read 71,388 times

Advertisements

Sikabond construction adhesive is a polyurethane adhesive that allows movement after it cures, the operative word is CURES!. It sets up totally different than all the other adhesives, it stays slightly felxible and does not become rigid or brittle. Grabs instantly as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 10:25 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpayne12 View Post
Sika Construction Adhesive, only sold at Home Depot, best on the market, polyurethane adhesive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpayne12 View Post
Sikabond construction adhesive is a polyurethane adhesive that allows movement after it cures, the operative word is CURES!. It sets up totally different than all the other adhesives, it stays slightly felxible and does not become rigid or brittle. Grabs instantly as well.

Let me guess,
You either work for HD, or you work for Sika at their Conyers facility- why else would you make 2 posts in the same thread about the same thing?
Kindda underhanded advertising don't you think?

Old 07-07-2010, 11:26 AM
QIS

920 posts, read 5,145,620 times
Concrete moves a lot! Its just that the concrete and the wood have different coefficients of expansion and contraction. If its in a sunroom, I would put down the flooring manufacturer's approved vapor barrier and not use any adhesive at all.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:07 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Let me guess,
You either work for HD, or you work for Sika at their Conyers facility- why else would you make 2 posts in the same thread about the same thing?
Looks like you are correct, he is a spammer. Whatever Sika is I have no idea. One thing is for sure, it is pure junk. The OP asked this question 3 years ago and one hit one post wonders keep on reviving it.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:54 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,411,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Let me guess,
Apparently HD doesn't sell the Sika product anymore, but the Roberts stuff they DO sell gets nothing but negative comments:

Home Depot - 1408, 4 Gal Urethane Wood Flooring Adhesive customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings

I thought I might try this stuff because it is cheap, but they say you get what you pay for. I guess I'll have to use the Bostik stuff they have at Lowe's since there really isn't much to research on the web.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:54 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
I have tried loads of different adhesives. I hate gorilla glue. It is messy, it pushes things apart even if they are clamped it oozes out all over and is hard to remove the excess and it does not always hold as well as advertised. Clean up is a nightmare and it does not come off your hands. It is also difficult to apply and to spread. There are a good dozen better adhesives for general construction purposes. Gorilla glue is good for certain special applications.

The best glue depends on the application. I am still trying to find something to glue metal brackets to wood. Gorilla glue did not work well at all for that, they popped right off with minimum force. The glue did not bond to the metal. Carpenters yellow glue also failed. I have some left oer power grab I will try that.

Liquid nails is absolute garbage in my experience.

I have had decent luck with power grab gluing plastic to concrete. However it was also red headed in so who knows how well the glue actually did. It provided a nice seal.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:32 PM

8,409 posts, read 7,402,622 times
The absolute best adhesive is 3M's 5200 Marine Adhesive. I've bonded chromed boat chocks to fiberglass decks and they've held for 3+ seasons out in the weather. I also dropped my toilet lid so that it broke into four or five pieces. My short term solution was to glue it back together with 5200 and it held together solid for five years before I switched out toilets during a remodel. One problem with 5200 is that it's permanent - you may never get apart the two things you glued together with it. The 3M 4200 is supposed to be less 'permanent', but I've heard that it's still hard to pry apart.

The adjective 'Marine' makes 5200 expensive. PL Premium Plus is suppose to be just as good, but much less expensive. Again, it's only for things you won't need to take apart again, ever.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:44 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I have tried loads of different adhesives. I hate gorilla glue. It is messy, it pushes things apart even if they are clamped it oozes out all over and is hard to remove the excess and it does not always hold as well as advertised. Clean up is a nightmare and it does not come off your hands. It is also difficult to apply and to spread. There are a good dozen better adhesives for general construction purposes. Gorilla glue is good for certain special applications.

The best glue depends on the application. I am still trying to find something to glue metal brackets to wood. Gorilla glue did not work well at all for that, they popped right off with minimum force. The glue did not bond to the metal. Carpenters yellow glue also failed. I have some left oer power grab I will try that.

Liquid nails is absolute garbage in my experience.

I have had decent luck with power grab gluing plastic to concrete. However it was also red headed in so who knows how well the glue actually did. It provided a nice seal.

Wow... I most always agree with you. And I again agree with you that Gorilla glue is garbage, probably because it is garbage. But Liquid Nails is as important to my job as the tools I use. I use it for everything and 30 years since my first install, Liquid Nails is still holding up. And I only use the cheap $1.97 a tube choice. I see no difference in the Liquid Nail Panel line VS the Liquid Nail Heavy Duty line that cost double.

The real trash is PL Adhesive in a tube. Water holds better then that junk. But Home Shidpod sells it to the Sheep by the truck loads.

Old 09-29-2016, 11:40 AM

1 posts, read 6,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
The way we do this on construction jobs is to shoot treated plywood to the concrete with a Hilti and concrete pins. Then you have a surface the glue will adhere to.

Wood moves, stretches, shrinks, warps. Concrete does not. Every time wood moves the adhesion will deter. If you shoot the wood to the concrete it allows for movement.
I am laying tile onto laminate flooring. In your opinion, will gorilla glue construction adhesive hold strong if weighted?

Thanks!

Old 09-29-2016, 12:10 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Tile on top of laminate flooring? Sounds like a problem. You need to take it down to the subfloor or slab and start from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House