Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2013, 06:39 PM

278 posts, read 434,730 times

Advertisements

Okay, I'm an idiot, but this is what forums are for, right?

I have a sprinkler system at my home. I've never turned it on before, however. We just moved into the house in August. Can I have some assistance please?

Here's a picture of what the system looks like on the side of the house:
Photo Jul 01, 5 51 07 PM by ministerlane, on Flickr

There's one little valve in the front yard - and I'm not sure if I need to turn it or not.

I watched the guy come and winterize the system, and he only did something to this part, and the little valve in the front yard.

Of course, there's the control pad, but I know how to use that.

And please speak slowly - I'm not so bright when it comes to these things.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 06:57 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minister View Post
I have a sprinkler system at my home.
I've never turned it on before...

I watched the guy come and winterize the system...
Call him to come back to get it going and to explain how it works.
Take notes.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:16 PM

278 posts, read 434,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Call him to come back to get it going and to explain how it works.
Take notes.
Well, I was trying to save the $75 house call.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:17 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,546,304 times
Sure - saving the $75 is reasonable - except that you don't exactly know what you're doing. Paying $75 to have the guy come out and *teach you* how to do this in the future isn't a bad thing.

I assume you live in the South (somewhere with no freeze?) - because otherwise most people take the backflow (which I assume that's what that is) off in the winter.

My husband reconnects our back flow (which is what that looks like in the picture) - then goes into the house and turns the water on. Since generally the valves on the back flow are in the open position (in line) that's really all there is to it (look for leaks at the backflow joints you just connected).

We also have to get a yearly inspection of the backflow (to prevent water from going back into the potable system - even though it comes from the potable system in the first place) in order to keep our right to a deduct meter (2nd water meter that deducts the amount of water diverted to the irrigation system, so that you are not billed for sewage on that water).

We're in Southern Ohio.

We pay someone for winterization (dont' have a powerful enough compressed air generator - and the big ones capable of blowing out a long sprinkler line are expensive - even to rent), and then turn it on in the Spring ourselves.

But my husband is vaguely handy and *watched* the guy do it for 2 years after it was installed (2 years complimentary start up/shut down came with our installation).

I imagine the valve in your yard is your water supply -- but that's a little odd (to me) as its either separate then from your house supply, or something else is going on.

Good luck! Happy irrigating (I love ours. Love love love not dragging hoses!)

Old 07-02-2013, 08:03 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,140,529 times
I didnt know how to use ours either. We asked our neighbor We winterize ours every winter. Again, the neighbor showed us. It will be worth the 75 dollars to have someone come out. If you turn up the pressure too much you can shoot a sprinkler head right out of the ground. I mean....that's what I've heard. Well worth it to have someone go over the whole system with you because sprinkler heads aren't cheap when you replace a lot of them at once.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:19 PM

7,515 posts, read 13,616,097 times
Too many unknowns here.
What is the purpose of the "little valve in the yard" ?? Is it open or closed ??
Why is the right-hand blue valve closed ?? There should be no water pressure on the right if "winterized".
Is the system fed direct from the street/meter ?? Or is there a valve inside the house ??

$75 will be money well spent to properly learn how this system works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House