Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 11:57 AM

55 posts, read 78,990 times

Advertisements

I have a built in entertainment center in my new house that I do not like, any ideas for a contemporary makeover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 02:11 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,903,707 times
Do you have a picture?

Old 08-06-2013, 02:24 PM

10,047 posts, read 18,069,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
Do you have a picture?
And dimensions please. And what do you want to store there? Do you still want to use it as an entertainment area (just a different style) or do you want to turn it into something else entirely?

OP, you gave us basically nothing to go on!

Old 08-07-2013, 03:33 AM

252 posts, read 580,777 times
You can change over the wardrobe. Or the table and place the entertainment tv there

Old 08-07-2013, 06:48 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,594,008 times
How about something basic?

http://redoitdesign.files.wordpress....empty-room.jpg

Old 08-16-2013, 11:47 PM

752 posts, read 1,494,161 times
I made an entertainment center recessed into the wall of a den room a few years ago. Formally it was two very small side-by-side closets with a door on each, no more than 30" deep. I ripped them both out and made an alcove from it. I sound-proofed the back wall (bathroom on other side), put new drywall within the space, a dropped ceiling with two 5" recessed lights.
Matching molding was put around the space, roughly 6" high by 10' wide; the dropped ceiling inside is about 3" above the opening to the wall.
While I was at it I put speaker cables and jacks in behind the new baseboards, with a 4-speaker plate in the new space, one plate at each corner of the room. It worked out very well---when I went to sell the house the agent said it was probably one of the best things I could have done. (I wish I could post a pic or two so one can get a better idea).
But having it recessed in the wall saves much space, can be used for various purposes, such as shelving, etc.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:34 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
I've seen some houses lately with those built in niches for the old style TV's, often next to a fireplace, and figure people either have to put built in shelves there or just close it up since new flat screen styles don't fit the old square hole.

Old 08-17-2013, 01:52 AM

Looks like the OP never came back.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:38 AM

752 posts, read 1,494,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I've seen some houses lately with those built in niches for the old style TV's, often next to a fireplace, and figure people either have to put built in shelves there or just close it up since new flat screen styles don't fit the old square hole.
With the one I built, I went a bit further (partly due to the reasons you state about newer TVs and future usefulness): the recessed area is the height of a standard door at 6 1/2 feet, which was the height of the two closets, and it is about 10 feet wide, which was the length of them---so cutting into walls was minimal. The intention was to make the alcove versatile, which I really think it is---certainly more so than the square or oblong niches for TVs above fireplaces, etc, even if they have all kinds of wall jacks for cable, Video/Audio, HDMI, etc. I only installed banana-plug audio jacks and a cable-tv outlet in mine.

When I framed the alcove I put in wood lathing (actually scrap pieces of pine furring about 2-3 inches wide) which the new drywall was nailed to so shelves could be secured in it if one wished. I also sound-proofed as best as I could within the three inside walls---seems to work remarkably well.

By agent told me that it was probably one of the best things one could have done with the old puny closets---and it is a selling point especially given it could be used a number of different ways, though I had it staged as an entertainment center but its versatility is clear.

Old 08-18-2013, 04:36 AM

Austin023, do you have a photo? I'd love to see what you did!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House