Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 08:33 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Are you incapable of opening the curtains?
No, but they've been entirely unnecessary in any house I've owned in the past many years. I have plantation shutters where I need them. Beyond that, I don't care that people can see in to my house. (And typically the sight lines from the street are such that it's not that clear a view anyway.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 10:11 AM

18,473 posts, read 31,643,914 times
I don't have curtains either. I actually hate anything blocking my windows. I have woven roller shades that I keep rolled all the way up, day and night 24/7/365. I have a plant hanging in each of my windows as well.

I do like the wooden blinds, however, I hate dusting them more than I like them, hence having shades.

When the sun gets too intense in the summer, I can lower the shades, but yet light still filters through.
I do pull the bedroom shades down at night when the light goes on.....

But other than that they stay rolled all the way up. I like to look out day and night. I am also live on the 4th floor of a building and there are houses in front of my building that are lower than my building so I can see far, I like it. To the left is another higher building, so I guess they can see in a bit if they tried. I don't worry about it, I don't really care.

In the kitchen it faces a courtyard where the neighbor across can look in if they want, but after seeing in once, maybe twice, I don't think they are interested anymore, besides it is a kitchen....

I can see having a home with bare windows especially when you have a really nice view, why cover it.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:31 AM

340 posts, read 523,997 times
Personally, I enjoy my privacy, as does the rest of the family, and unless the design and layout and location of our home allowed for such open-window concept, I'm all for blinds/curtains.

As for burglars... my mantra is, "why invite".

Old 08-14-2013, 02:40 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times
Mini blinds on every window and I can't stand curtains. I am extremely light sensitive so they are usually closed to give my eyes rest.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:50 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
I have plantation shutters that I can easily close if necessary, but I have very few curtains on my windows. I literally NEVER pull them closed. They are in a couple of rooms - on decorative rods and hanging on decorative rings, and they are always pulled completely open and just hanging on either side of the windows.

I love natural light and can't bear for windows to be closed up. We only close the shutters on the windows on the front of our house, and then only rarely. (Two guest rooms) Most of our windows span across the back of our house and our backyard is very private. Those stay open just about all the time.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:07 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakecake View Post
I was walking through an affluent neighbourhood and saw that most people have large glass windows and no curtains . You could see through inside.
Does it not worry the owners that this reduces privacy ? And also may interest a burgular or two?

Or am I just being paranoid ?
Don't most new houses have blinds these days?. Normally people would close the blinds after dark. In the daytime it shouldn't be a problem. In the daylight it would be easier to see out to then in. But if they keep them open at night, thats kind of weird. Since they wouldn't be able to see anything outside. Unless maybe they have a city lights view, or if they are in the country a view of the stars.

This thread does kind of remind me of a story, from when Google first started Google Maps Streetview. Some woman in San Francisco complained that her privacy was invaded, because of a Streetview image of her cat sitting on her windowsill. Like every person walking or driving down her street couldn't have seen her cat on the windowsill.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:46 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,199,641 times
I do find it a bit strange that so many posters don't have window coverings. I have wood blinds on most of my windows, and pull down pleated shades on my front bay window. I open all of my blinds in the morning, and close them when it's time to turn the lights on. I prefer privacy at night, I don't want to feel like people can look in, but I can't see them. I can't imagine having no window coverings at night if you live in a dense city/suburban neighborhood.

The only room in my house with no window coverings is my sunroom which overlooks the backyard. I don't need window coverings in there because the way my backyard is set up no one can see in. Also my master bathroom, but it has glass block windows so it's totally private.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:41 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
I can't imagine having no window coverings at night if you live in a dense city/suburban neighborhood.
I'm the opposite. Get me into a rural area or the middle of nowhere and I'm super nervous about people being able to see inside. It comes down to safety. In a city or suburban neighborhood, I know help is nearby. I could run to the neighbor's house in 30 seconds. In a rural area, I could scream at the top of my lungs and nobody would hear me. The nearest house could be miles away. Rural areas require curtains and guns for me to feel safe.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:06 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,493,158 times
i always leave my blinds closed--always. i like my privacy. the only blind that is open is on the back door so i can keep my eye on the dog when he is out there. i still get ALL the same light coming in all day long. i have a very sunny house even with all the blinds closed

Old 08-15-2013, 07:29 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
In a rural area, I could scream at the top of my lungs and nobody would hear me. The nearest house could be miles away. Rural areas require curtains and guns for me to feel safe.
I'm the same way. Have you read In Cold Blood too many times as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House