Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 01:34 PM

1,751 posts, read 2,405,078 times

Advertisements

I am and always have been a "hot sweaty sleeper" and have been desperate for years to buy a cool sleeping surface. Have tried just about everything on the market.
Standard mattress. Wake up covered in dripping sweat always.

Memory Foam mattress - even hotter and sweatier.

Buckwheat/microbead pillow mattress = marginally cooler but not good enough.

Active cooling mattress contains surgical tubing piping water with plugged-in pump. Marginally cooler in localized areas but still hot and sweaty in the "roll over zone". Will not cool more than around three degrees Farenheit below ambient.

Cooling Gel. Blessedly cooler for the first four months until gel permanently crystallizes into powder form after the first six months to evolve into a permanent consistency harder than Portland Cement. Epic Fail.

Best long term solution was a Water Based Pillow. User can adjust to desired personal-taste density and it always has a Cool Side. Sloshy Sounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 02:45 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,907,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
I am and always have been a "hot sweaty sleeper" and have been desperate for years to buy a cool sleeping surface. Have tried just about everything on the market.
Standard mattress. Wake up covered in dripping sweat always.

Memory Foam mattress - even hotter and sweatier.

Buckwheat/microbead pillow mattress = marginally cooler but not good enough.

Active cooling mattress contains surgical tubing piping water with plugged-in pump. Marginally cooler in localized areas but still hot and sweaty in the "roll over zone". Will not cool more than around three degrees Farenheit below ambient.

Cooling Gel. Blessedly cooler for the first four months until gel permanently crystallizes into powder form after the first six months to evolve into a permanent consistency harder than Portland Cement. Epic Fail.

Best long term solution was a Water Based Pillow. User can adjust to desired personal-taste density and it always has a Cool Side. Sloshy Sounds.
For your issue, why not a water bed? I think you can set the temp of the water you are sleeping on and can therefore keep it cool.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:45 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,500,218 times
I liked the idea of the memory foam but the heat issue scared me away. We went with a Simmons Beauty Rest Black and haven't looked back. I love this bed!

Old 10-19-2013, 02:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
Well thanks for bursting my bubble. I still might look into this mattress though (not sure which level yet). We have a Serta pillow top with the 2 inches of memory foam on top. We've had it for about 5-6 years now and it totally sucks! It's sagging so much that my back and shoulders hurt in the morning and I'm only in my mid-30's and in very good shape, so it's not that I weigh too much. I really want a full memory foam mattress, but if it starts sagging again soon, I'd be as upset as you are.

Anyone have a recommendation for a "Triangle Area" store that sells a durable memory foam (last at last 8 years) king or cal king size mattress that doesn't get too hot and will be firm, yet not solid as a rock?

Innerspring mattresses (most of them) stink for exactly the reasons posted. I like memory foam mattresses but you have to shop around for a good brand at an affordable price. Check out The Bed Boss. However, make sure to get the best coupon code to apply by googling "unpublished bed boss coupon code". It will give you 30% off the online pricing when you buy factory direct. Good luck!

Old 01-10-2015, 02:26 PM

2 posts, read 1,759 times
My husband and I slept on a waterbed since 1977. We decided it was time for a mattress and purchased the Icomfort from Rooms To Go.

The first weeks it was so uncomfortable and hot that we woke up on the hour. We called the store to ask what could be done and registered an official complaint. We wondered if they possibly delivered the incorrect mattress since the floor model was comfortable, we went back to the store and the floor model was still comfortable. And that they would charge a restocking fee.

We were advised to "walk on our mattress for 8 hours, as they must have for gotten to do that step at the factory". I walk a lot but it was so very hard to walk on thick memory foam for even 10 minutes, and it made 0 difference.

Today (almost a year later) I am looking for a cooling mattress topper and spend even more money just hoping for a decent whole night sleep.

We travel extensively, sleep on lots of mattresses none compare to the our I-un-comfort.

Old 01-10-2015, 05:11 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,594,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silv333 View Post
I'm looking at buying a new mattress and wanted to see if anyone has experience with the memory foam mattresses that are gel/cooling. Anyone have one? Do you like it?

If your going through per -menopause or menopause forgo, this will become a woman's worst bedtime enemy.... You'll find it awful hot and sweaty, since the form forums around your body, you'll find yourself trying to escape it! .... ....

Old 01-11-2015, 12:26 AM

266 posts, read 450,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silv333 View Post
I'm looking at buying a new mattress and wanted to see if anyone has experience with the memory foam mattresses that are gel/cooling. Anyone have one? Do you like it?
I have a king sized Temperpedic. I will never consider any other mattress. That commercial showing a woman jumping at one corner and a glass of wine atop the matress another corner, its real the wine glass does not topple.

King is a big mattress. Because the mattress is so accomodating to equal weight distribution, getting off it is both fun and something spongy. Its a great reminder each morning just how even the body parts are spread out and uniquely supported.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-11-2015, 04:05 AM

106,750 posts, read 108,937,910 times
I need one of those mattresses .

I like to jump up and down in bed while my wife drinks wine.

that would be perfect.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:52 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,085,104 times
We have a temperpedic cooling mattress. Hubby is very hot natured and I'm one of those that likes blankets even in the summer.

I love it. It's really comfortable, firm enough so you're not sinking into it but still soft.

Expensive up front, tho

Old 01-24-2015, 10:25 PM

2 posts, read 1,759 times
Default Hot mattress

Thank you so much for replying, this really helped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House