Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 12:16 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,218,598 times

Advertisements

I have been looking at a lot of homes lately, and one thing I just cant figure out is how to go about buying a newer home that is filled with granite and tile finishes that you hate.

The dilemma is that I do not want to buy a cheaper fixer upper - been there done that and am over the work. So, looking at new condition, more expensive homes, I find that I hate 90% of the granite and tile finishes in the kitchen and baths. Brown tile, beige tile, brown and beige patterned combos, mixed up orange and brown and black glass tile backsplashes, splattered pewp brown granite that looks like someone opened up a sewer line and splattered all the counters with shades of more brown. I hate it all!...and it is in 90% of all the newer homes thanks to builders and home builders copying HGTV for the last 15 years.

I like classic styles that can be found in a home 100 years ago, and look just as good in another 100 years from now. All of this beige and brown splattered stuff is already sooo dated looking to me; it screams 2006 and I am sure everyone will be tearing it out in the near future.

I am assuming that I will have to bite the bullet, and take a loss, and pay a premium for granite, then tear it all out and start over. How do you go about doing this? Can a contractor pull out granite counters in one piece so you can resell them, or will they need to be ruined and smashed out with hammers and crow bars?

I am trying to avoid having a home built, due to the stress and time, and not knowing if it will be built correctly and without issues popping up.

Any other home buyers deal with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 12:20 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
You keep looking until you find something that you like without all the tile and granite.

It is not cost effective to spend so much money on a home just to immediately put more money into it to remodel it.
If you are going to do that buy the cheaper fixer upper and hire someone to do the repairs, build or be patient and keep looking.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:24 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
I can't believe you hate ALL the stone surfaces you see.

You can buy a house that has the most tolerable granite and tile.

You can choose paint colors to minimize the effect of the surfaces as well, to make them livable for a while, then save up enough to replace them.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You keep looking until you find something that you like without all the tile and granite.

It is not cost effective to spend so much money on a home just to immediately put more money into it to remodel it.
If you are going to do that buy the cheaper fixer upper and hire someone to do the repairs, build or be patient and keep looking.
The problem is that many homes here have postage sized yards, so when we are lucky enough to find one in the right neighborhood that also have a level, large yard for dogs and a pool, we will have to go with it, regardless of the counters. Trying to find the proper yard and finishes combo will be next to impossible.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

You can choose paint colors to minimize the effect of the surfaces as well, to make them livable for a while, then save up enough to replace them.
Not all, just about 90%

I am actually wondering if you can go to a granite store/installer and trade in your old granite if you buy it new from them. Can they tear your old stuff out in one piece, keep it for resale, then give you a discount on the new stuff?

Old 09-08-2013, 12:37 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
I think the obsession with some folks have with current trends is really manifested by BOTH the OP and the remodelers that pay more attention to TV shows then they do to more "classic" themes. Most homes will need some updating. Even if you buy a historic home the function of various kitchen features will diminish over time -- focus of layout /utility over "fashion" and you'll be better off in the long run.

Frankly I am less bothered by "browns & beiges" than by the irradescents. If you look at well appointed homes built prior to WWII that were inspired by the Arts & Crafts movement you will see lots of tile in natural colors like cream, butter, moss, bark, etc.

It is foolish to rip out granite -- even it comes out unbroken there is pretty much ZERO opportunity for resale as each kitchen has specific layout fit issues.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:20 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

Oh, I can! I really dislike granite and would rip even what you would call tolerable out ASAP.

OP, all houses need to be personalized to some degree. Nothing is move in ready and decorated to your tastes. Unless you build custom and get to choose all your finishes, of course.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:55 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,166,802 times
I have hated the last 25 years of kitchen styles so I sympathize completely. I bought the house of my dreams 5 years ago and told myself I would completely change the black tiles in the kitchen and the oak cabinets within the first 3 months of moving in. Well, they're still here and I just don't have the budget or the imagination to tackle it right now and it's suddenly not that high a priority. If I were you I'd get the house with the big back yard because that's NOT something you can alter, regardless of the budget.

Old 09-08-2013, 02:16 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
IF everything else about a home meets your criteria-
Location, schools, taxes, size, number of bdrms & bathes, etc.; I sure as Hell wouldn't let the color of tile and granite persuade me from NOT buying! Because if you weigh the differences- how much does it really cost to have what YOU WANT?!

Old 09-08-2013, 02:26 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
Not all, just about 90%

I am actually wondering if you can go to a granite store/installer and trade in your old granite if you buy it new from them. Can they tear your old stuff out in one piece, keep it for resale, then give you a discount on the new stuff?
No. It's worthless. It's custom work. It won't fit anything else, except maybe the house next door that is exactly the same model as yours. But they probably already have that granite.

Sounds to me like the least amount of angst, hassle and money would be new construction (assuming the builder offers whatever you want to use for the countertops).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House