Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 03:54 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,840,763 times

Advertisements

One thing my wife really hates is ceramic tile floors that have this low "boom" resonance when you walk on them. (crawlspace foundation). Anyone with experience "beefing up" a floor to lessen that effect? We've noticed some floors that have very little of that, but we weren't able to get info on what they did.

Is it thicker flooring material? More cross-members under a floor? Or what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 07:17 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,073,081 times
If you are talking about the hollow sound on tiles, they were not set deep enough in the thinset...

Old 11-16-2007, 07:20 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
you may want to check with home depot to make sure but i thought miracle board resolved that problem?

Old 11-19-2007, 10:45 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Sounds to me(sorry the pun) like you're referring to the acoustics of the room. Its not the floor itself- its the sound being reflexed off of it. You "hear" it more because there is little or no "soft" materials to absorb the sound. For instance, bathrooms are notorious for the "Echo effect"- tile floors, tubs, shower walls, etc. Put an area rug down, towels on a towelbar, curtains on the window(s) and its gone.
The only time I have encountered a true floor problem was with "true handmade terra cotta" tiles that were convex- leaving a hollow space under the tile- but they tended to make a clicking sound. Not a booming one.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:24 PM

2,349 posts, read 10,656,906 times
Sage, quit ticking her off! You guys know that when a woman is mad she "walks hard"

Old 11-19-2007, 08:22 PM

Hahaha....you'd think, huh?

No...it's not an acoustics issue...my wife broke her neck and still has nerve damage, and certain types of shock resonate up her spine and very much bother her neck.

I started looking around other tile-specific sites and forums, and I think I have some answers...one was what was mentioned above (thinset depth), two other issues were having the flooring be 1-1/8" thick (instead of the 3/4" typical thickness) and by making sure joists are no more than 18" apart.

Our joist spacing is 16" OC, so we're good there. And it's not a big deal to go with thicker flooring as it's better in the long run anyhow, and we're doing that all over, not just in tiled areas. We will also be paying much attention to the use of base material and thinset, and have communicated this to our general contractor who does great at listening to our desires.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:12 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,418,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
Hahaha....you'd think, huh?

No...it's not an acoustics issue...my wife broke her neck and still has nerve damage, and certain types of shock resonate up her spine and very much bother her neck.

I started looking around other tile-specific sites and forums, and I think I have some answers...one was what was mentioned above (thinset depth), two other issues were having the flooring be 1-1/8" thick (instead of the 3/4" typical thickness) and by making sure joists are no more than 18" apart.

Our joist spacing is 16" OC, so we're good there. And it's not a big deal to go with thicker flooring as it's better in the long run anyhow, and we're doing that all over, not just in tiled areas. We will also be paying much attention to the use of base material and thinset, and have communicated this to our general contractor who does great at listening to our desires.
the bold aras in your post... The spacings that most joist companys are going to require is 16" o.c. some may go to 12" if the span is large.

Old 11-21-2007, 02:15 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,345,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
One thing my wife really hates is ceramic tile floors that have this low "boom" resonance when you walk on them. (crawlspace foundation). Anyone with experience "beefing up" a floor to lessen that effect? We've noticed some floors that have very little of that, but we weren't able to get info on what they did.

Is it thicker flooring material? More cross-members under a floor? Or what?
What about rigid foam board insulation under floor between joist?

Old 11-21-2007, 09:58 PM

It looks like from talking to two tile guys who are well respected and our contractor's tile guy, the combo of the 1-1/8" plywood, proper backing board or even cork layer, and doing the thinset "right" will be the route we'll want to go. We will have a high R-value insulation under the floor (but not blown in...that's going in the walls)

Thanks to everyone for your input!

Old 11-24-2007, 07:29 AM

652 posts, read 2,265,232 times
Thats what I was going to suggest but got here kinda late. I always install two layers of 3/4" subfloor where I know tile will go down. Minimum is 1 1/8". that reduces the floors deflection rate. the wider your floor the greater the deflection. that most definatly will cause some spring in the floor which could give you that hollow sound.
If it were only a few areas making the hollow sound I'd suggest that the tiles weren't completely set in the mud. I almost always back butter my tiles before I lay them on a floor especially larger tiles. Takes a little longer but its well worth it IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House