Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 01:52 PM

5 posts, read 25,530 times

Advertisements

I am thinking to redo the attic vent because right now it only have one Gable vent. Among Soffit vent, Ridge vent and another Gable vent, which one or two should I add? I am looking for minimum work for good result. I quoted a local roofer and he advised only add Ridge vent would be OK, but I am reading online seems like Ridge vent and Soffit vent often paired. Any suggestions?

Last edited by tommyny; 11-18-2013 at 02:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 02:31 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,367,145 times
Why do you need more venting? Roofs fail because of the UV light from the sun, not from overheating.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:33 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,288,797 times
I put a new roof on my house in 2010, and it was required to add a ridge vent. Apparently it improves flow, and helps cool the attic better.

Old 11-18-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Why do you need more venting? Roofs fail because of the UV light from the sun, not from overheating.
Because I always thought one Gabel vent is not not enough for attic vent, plus I will put new roof anyway, it may be a good idea to update the vent together.

Old 11-18-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
I put a new roof on my house in 2010, and it was required to add a ridge vent. Apparently it improves flow, and helps cool the attic better.
Ridge vent alone, no soffit vent?

Old 11-18-2013, 05:48 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,288,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyny View Post
Ridge vent alone, no soffit vent?
The only requirement was the ridge vent. The claim is that it's better than gable vents by allowing hot air out at the peak.

Edit: My eave vents were good enough.

Last edited by MrWillys; 11-18-2013 at 06:53 PM..

Old 11-18-2013, 06:32 PM

450 posts, read 798,399 times
The ridge vent and soffit vent kinda work together I think.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:59 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Start here:
http://waptac.org/data/files/website...tion_v2.0.pptx

Find out from your local AHJ which formula (1/150 or 1/300) they recommend.

Which type of "venting" you use on the upper end doesn't really matter in most cases. It can be gable vents, turtlebacks, turbines, power roof vents, or ridge vents. Here's one word of caution about ridge vents- 90% of them are usually installed incorrectly. The main thing to remember, don't use multiples of the different types. Since you already have a gable vent- it maybe adequate as it stands. But if the formula says you need more then consider a different type and eliminate (or render it non-working) the gable vent. I have actually seen a couple of houses that had gable, turtlebacks, and a power vent on one roof- needless to say but, there's no air "circulating" in those attics.

I like passive systems from the standpoint that there is nothing mechanical- which means there's nothing to breakdown. However, personally I prefer power roof ventilators because I have "positive" airflow throw the attic. Don't have to rely on prevailing winds, or worry about extremely high humidity (Southeast), thanks to a temp/humidity switch.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:03 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,071,862 times
The least expensive option might be to put another gable vent in the other end, and consider putting a fan in one of them to keep the air circulating on the really hot days. That is a LOT less work than installing soffit vents, and ridge vents, which work in tandem to circulate air by pulling cool air in through the soffit and venting hot air out through the ridge.

What part of NY? How many really HOT days do you have? Are there moisture issues that are making you think you need more venting? Where is the insulation--on the ceiling joists, or hanging from the rafters? How big is the gable vent?

Lots of issues to think about, but you might already have adequate ventilation unless there are 'issues' which we don't know about.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:48 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,367,145 times
FWIW - in northern climes some vents can be a problem. Cold winds blowing snow will blow snow right into gable end vents, especially if there is another vent that acts to lower the air pressure in the attic. If the storm is minor that snowbank inside can evaporate out with no problem, but if it builds up over time or there is a heavy storm it can melt and damage the rooms below. Seen it. Soffit vents limit that problem and also can reduce the issue of ice dams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House