Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2013, 08:47 PM

28 posts, read 56,478 times

Advertisements

I am installing a new basement washer, dyer and a sink, I am thinking to pump drain water up to the basement ceiling and piping connect to main drain. My concerns are if the pump makes too much noise when working? does it work well functionally? How many years will the pump last?

If you have drain pump installed, please share some insights.

Thanks a lot!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 05:11 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,194,922 times
I believe what you need is called a "sewage ejector" (images: Ejector Images) - it is a sealed-with-bolts (*) sump and pump installation that then can send your sewage just about anywhere properly without smell, backups, etc.

Simply installing, say, a sump and pump that is meant for something else and sending the liquid UP somewhere pretty much guarantees some quantity of it will fall back down.

Doing a quickie Google Search for "sewage ejector noise" returns plenty of hits, some strongly suggesting the sound is minimal for a properly working system: Sewage Ejector Noise

====

(*) A "regular" sump and pump just has a simple drop-in-place cover that isn't meant to keep anything in the sump - it's just (flimsily) covered to keep things from falling in

Old 12-24-2013, 10:29 AM

17,708 posts, read 29,804,344 times
Default More info

//www.city-data.com/forum/house...-basement.html

Sewage ejector basin assemblies and pumps - Zoeller, Little Giant and Libery brands

Sewage Ejector Pumps

One thing is clear to me.
Do not go for the lowest price.

Old 12-24-2013, 12:12 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,536,435 times
From a totally uninformed consumer: how long does it take a washer to drain? Two or three minutes? Even if it sounds like a freight train, it wouldn't be for very long.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:25 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,926,019 times
I use the liberty 405 for my basement.

Liberty Pumps : Drain Pumps

I went with the commerical model because it was for a fish room. There are times when I do flush with straight hot water so I used this model just in case.

The unit sits near my utility sink/tub and is pump up about 8 feet and then across the ceiling to my main house drain then down into the street sewage. There are bigger unit that will hold more water so that you have less on/off with the sump pump. That's basically what's inside the unit. If the pump ever does go, you can replace it. I've replaced these for people I know who has them under their wet bar basement sink. Why they failed? I think it has to do with using a studor vent on the unit or failing check valve. I vent mine.

Now as for the noise. They are not so loud but I can tell you what could be loud is the check valve. I installed mine with a regular checkvalve in the beginning and it got annoying. I was pumping between 300-400 gallons of water through this pump daily. I replaced the check valve with something called "quiet checkvalve" it cost about twice as much but it's a big difference. My unit has been in operation for the past 5 years. It's never an issue. You do want to make sure you run a separate circuit (just like you do with a sump pump). I drain 2-3 75 gallons fish tank at a time so the unit has no issue going on and off constantly. If you are using it for washer and sink, it should last for years (if installed correctly).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House