Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 11:37 AM

675 posts, read 1,701,378 times

Advertisements

Our concrete front walkway needs to be replaced, and I had moved it to our spring to-do list because I wanted to get at least a season of warm weather to enjoy a replacement walkway before it gets beaten up by ice and snow. We hadn't decided on concrete, brick, pavers, etc. but the preliminary estimates I've had so far have been in the $1000-2000 range to have someone else install one of those options. Needless to say I'd rather spend that money somewhere else.

But recently walking on the icy snowy walkway, as I reached the part that has been basically reduced to gravel I was wondering - can I just replace the whole walk with gravel? I know it might be a messy pain to shovel but from a sheer traction perspective it seems a bit safer. Plus it seems like a cheaper option that we may be able to install ourselves, once we remove the old concrete. Also it seems it would reduce rainwater runoff, which is a problem in our yard.

From a building code / safety / liability perspective is there anything I should know about having a gravel walkway? Anything I should know about how to install it ourselves? Any reason (safety or asesthetics/home value) why we should go with concrete/pavers/brick instead?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 11:44 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Gravel migrates. You'll find bits of it as much as a few feet away from animals digging, normal snow shoveling, alien encounters. Gravel can also grow a nice crop of weeds. One irritant for me with our crusher run gravel drive is that my New Balance shoes inevitably pick up a gravel stone. If we had laminated floors, they would be a mess by now.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:00 PM

16,672 posts, read 17,437,937 times
My wife wants to keep the path down the side of the house kept as gravel because she can hear if anyone is walking on it giving a security aspect to it.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:21 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,597,150 times
If this is the main walk to the front door of your house, I think it will hurt the home value unless you are in a rural area. People expect a hard surface.

If you are worried about run-off, there are porous options. I don't have any experience with them.

Permeable paving - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-04-2014, 12:56 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
My wife wants to keep the path down the side of the house kept as gravel because she can hear if anyone is walking on it giving a security aspect to it.
There is nothing wrong with gravel, I have it in part of my yard, but I also have outdoor security lights which work better than gravel and less expensive.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribechamy View Post
Our concrete front walkway needs to be replaced

as I reached the part that has been basically reduced to gravel I was wondering - can I just replace the whole walk with gravel?

it seems like a cheaper option that we may be able to install ourselves, once we remove the old concrete.

Anything I should know about how to install it ourselves?
The concrete and any sod may not be as easy to remove and dispose of as you think.

You will most likely need some edging to hold the gravel. Most of what I see are the steel ribbons staked to the ground with steel stakes. They seem to eventually creep out and some appear dangerous with the steel edges. Bricks and pavers work well, but add to cost and labor.

Once you dig down, tamp the soil well (which can be a task), cover with landscape fabric (not solid plastic). Use a hand tamper for short paths. Rent a vibrating-plate tamper for long paths.

There are various gravels available from crushed stone to pea rock etc... Ask around locally to see what is available etc.

Anything less than 4 inches thick will most likely be a waste. Depending on other issues...

Old 01-04-2014, 02:00 PM

6,819 posts, read 11,548,200 times
How about stepping stones placed in a gravel walkway? You would still have the rain absorbtion (sp?), but you could shovel each stone off, or walk on the gravel part in snowy weather. And you wouldn't be bringing stones inside on the bottom of your running shoes. But the stuff is still going to get strewn all over the yard as discussed above.

I bet if you figure the price of the demolition, leveling, and the price of the gravel, (which you will need a lot of)this project may turn out to be considerably more expensive than you originally thought.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:23 AM

Stepping stones can be more convenient than gravel... I live in a desert cimate and one side of our house was sand, so 15 years ago we dumped gravel on it. Five years later I started playing with cheap red concrete hexagon stones. The gravel was not an issue of being carried in... Walking through it caused a lot of shifting over time. This picture was taken in 2006 and we have cleaned it up a bit. I just can't find pictures of the current work I've "almost" completed. Those hex stepping stones are not too difficult to handle, I learned to space them about a thumb width apart. If you don't do that they can heave a bit.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 01-06-2014 at 09:42 AM..

Old 01-06-2014, 09:37 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,928,336 times
Is that bird ok?

Old 01-06-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Is that bird ok?
Yes, it is fine, it is a curious species, it is a member of the Cuckoo family. It's a Road Runner...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House