Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 07:14 PM

155 posts, read 556,045 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
We are in process of changing the cabinets to cherry wood cabinets.
Can someone please tell me which color good for the kitchen wall.

Thanks
Joseph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 07:40 PM

22,557 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Many colors would look good, but it depends upon the color of the stain you choose for those cherry cabinets.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:53 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
I can maybe help you in how to think about this. What colors do you see from the kitchen? is the kitchen open or closed? If you can see wall space outside the kitchen, you will need to make sure that the color you choose for the kitchen is pleasing next to the other.

Cherry tones usually have some red in them. They register very warm. What is your backsplash? is it a warm color too? What color is the kitchen floor? What color are the counters? You need all of that information before you choose a wall color.

In general, with many warm tones, you would want to cool things down. So you might choose a cooler neutral or similar color. If the room has mostly cool tones, then you might want to choose a warmer neutral.

Choose everything before choosing the paint. Pain colors are infinite; floor, cabinet stain, counters are not.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:11 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
The biggest mistake that I have seen people make is using colors that are too saturated -- even if such a color choice is in the correct "family" of colors (like earth tones or neutrals...) by going too saturated it detracts from the subtle tones of real wood. If you go with painted cabinets you can get away with a far more intense painted wall but stained cabinets are best complemented by subtle painted walls.

The various paint manufacturer's sites all have "test scene" applications so you can experiment with various combinations but even then I would caution that it impossible to duplicate the sunlight your own home may or may not get and for this reason I recommend getting a few "sample pints" to test out in your home before you commit to buying gallons of expensive paint in a color that detracts from the look of your new cabinetry.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The biggest mistake that I have seen people make is using colors that are too saturated -- even if such a color choice is in the correct "family" of colors (like earth tones or neutrals...) by going too saturated it detracts from the subtle tones of real wood. If you go with painted cabinets you can get away with a far more intense painted wall but stained cabinets are best complemented by subtle painted walls.

The various paint manufacturer's sites all have "test scene" applications so you can experiment with various combinations but even then I would caution that it impossible to duplicate the sunlight your own home may or may not get and for this reason I recommend getting a few "sample pints" to test out in your home before you commit to buying gallons of expensive paint in a color that detracts from the look of your new cabinetry.
I agree with this. The wood tones, especially with a wood like cherry, are so strong themselves, that too much pigment is often just too much.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:58 PM

155 posts, read 556,045 times
thanks for all your replies

Here are more information

The kitchen has a big space for dinning table
the floor color will be white or some thing related to that color
the kitchen is closed and no connection to the living or bed rooms
the counter top color we are planning is dark green (is it good color please give me your suggestions)

I get these color from internet. Are they good for the wall color with the cherry wood cabinate

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-h_2B9nF8YO...amin-moore.jpg

Laura Ashley 809 Sand 3 Match | Paint Colors | Myperfectcolor

Please let me know

Thanks

Old 01-15-2014, 05:00 PM

No. Since you are using green counters, you might choose a similar green.

The colors you linked to are warm, and the second one is dullsville. Try for a cooler neutral, or a green that "talks" to the green of your counters.

You haven't told us what your backsplashes are.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:53 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times
If your cabinets are dark cherry, I would go with gray. As to the shade, it depends on if you want the room to look bright, and therefore need to use very light gray. Or if you want strong color, use a French gray.

Although your sample of that sand color would look good too.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
If your cabinets are dark cherry, I would go with gray. As to the shade, it depends on if you want the room to look bright, and therefore need to use very light gray. Or if you want strong color, use a French gray.

Although your sample of that sand color would look good too.
I hesitated to recommend gray, because I seem to always recommend it, but yes. There a bazillion grays to choose from. Stay on the cool side, perhaps with a green undertone, because your counters are green.

Maybe it is my monitor but I thought the sand color was almost mauve. I don't think mauve is a good color with warm cherry wood.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:15 PM

I see now the OP has said that his counters will be dark green. If you adore dark green, then far be it for me to tell you not to use that color. But honestly, that color is quite dated. If you want to sell later, it might be a problem. I put a rather vivid bluey green on my counters in 2000. I would not do so now.

I can't recall if you said your cabs were a light cherry or not. I suggest you Google cherry cabinets + green for some looks at current color schemes. Or sub another color, like gray. Do some research online before choosing paint color.

Choose counters and backsplash, then choose paint color. That's my advice. I am seeing an awful lot of black on counters, if that appeals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House