Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 07:21 AM

2,079 posts, read 4,952,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHausMaus View Post
I recommend Speed Queen. They are a no-frills design, no electronic board to break and have metal parts. Made in the USA.
Speed Queen is a commercial grade washer and the ONLY washers/dryers that come with a 3 year warranty. These machines are made in the USA (Wisconsin) and are built like tanks. I purchased my wife the Speed Queen AN-412 washer and loves it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 08:06 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Thanks! That's about what I was figuring. I don't think I'd do Maytag again, unfortunately. I think I'd be lucky to get 10 years.
I think washers and dryers should have a time counter on them - kind of like a car. My machine ONLY lasted 12 years, but I did at least ten loads a week - 6,240 loads, probably more.

My sister would rave about her machine lasting 20 years, but if she does a load a week, its too much - barely over a 1000 loads in 20 years.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:18 AM

663 posts, read 1,619,808 times
So far on washer, I have narrowed down to GE GTWN4250DWS Top load. I recall this being under 500 at Home depot.

GE 3.9 Cu. Ft. 16Cycle TopLoading Washer White GTWN4250DWS - Best Buy

Old 01-19-2014, 08:42 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Consumer Reports says
LG WT1101CW
is much better from a performance perspective
LG Electronics 4.3 cu. ft. High-Efficiency Front Control Top Load Washer in White, ENERGY STAR-WT1101CW at The Home Depot
see the very positive reviews

Old 01-19-2014, 09:54 AM

6,589 posts, read 4,977,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I think washers and dryers should have a time counter on them - kind of like a car. My machine ONLY lasted 12 years, but I did at least ten loads a week - 6,240 loads, probably more.

My sister would rave about her machine lasting 20 years, but if she does a load a week, its too much - barely over a 1000 loads in 20 years.
Interesting theory. I do a lot but I've never counted. I'm on #3 today and did 2-3 during the week, plus all I did last weekend. The only reason I've been stretching it out a bit more during the week now is due to the leak. Winter is the worst because of bulky clothing, and now one of my jobs requires me to wear jeans in the summer too. I miss my shorts and tank top jobs!

My dryer gets used less as I hang outside as much as I can, and a lot of my sporting clothes are hung to dry. Sometimes with all that gets hung, 2 washer loads will be 1 dryer load. The dryer is a few years older, but in better shape. (knock on wood) Dryer is from 1993-1996. Washer is 1998 or so. Both high-end Maytag at the time.

I wish I only did 1-2 loads a week!

Old 01-19-2014, 09:56 AM

6,589 posts, read 4,977,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Consumer Reports says
LG WT1101CW
LG Electronics 4.3 cu. ft. High-Efficiency Front Control Top Load Washer in White, ENERGY STAR-WT1101CW at The Home Depot
Personally I wouldn't want the computerized controls. The GE the OP listed looks decent.

OP did you look at the Speed Queens? I am very intrigued by them after this thread!

Old 01-19-2014, 09:56 AM

546 posts, read 1,818,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Consumer Reports says
LG WT1101CW
I just bought this washer last May and could not be happier with it. It is AWESOME. I have three young boys (involved in a lot of sports) so I do a ridiculous amount of laundry. My old Maytag washer went out but not my dryer. I have decided to use the dryer until it dies. The great thing about this washer is I can do huge loads and it gets the water out so well in the spin cycle that I am still able to put the entire load into the regular capacity old dryer and the clothes dry no problem.

I didn't want to do a front loader but still wanted high capacity. Some friends warned me about front loaders being awkward to put clothes in and out and sometimes smelling. So far after hundreds of loads my top loader LG has no odor and is so easy to load/ unload.

Cannot say enough great things about this washer. Will definitely buy the matching dryer when my dryer dies.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:57 AM

546 posts, read 1,818,966 times
Forgot to mention I also got a pretty significant rebate from our water company for buying this washer

Old 01-19-2014, 12:41 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,236,413 times
I'm happy with my 4000 Series Samsung front load washer and dryer. They feature steam, vibration reduction, and internal water heaters (a must for folks with tankless water heaters) among many other features. The washer is extremely efficient; it uses very little water and energy, although it takes from 40 minutes to 2 hrs depending on which cycle and settings you choose. The dryer on the other hand is pretty much just a dryer. It uses 2.2 kwhr and is not efficient in my book. I usually use my weather app to find the warmest and driest day to do laundry. Then I sun dry my clothes and finish all three loads together in the dryer for 15 minutes which greatly reduces my energy demand by 80%.

I bought them on sale from Sears for 50% off 2 years ago...$1300 for the pair. I grabbed the matching pedestals from Lowes on clearance for $60 each. They look nice, but offer more storage than anyone could feasibly use. You can also built your own out of plywood.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:18 PM

429 posts, read 954,421 times
Just don't buy a Kenmore Canyon Capacity Oasis set and if you do, keep renewing the maintanence plan. They are all lemons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House