Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 07:50 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,576,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcip View Post
Hi I have an older home with an unfinished basement. Down in the basment, out in the open, is a toilet. It works fine but it's in the open. no privacy, just there lol. I'm looking for ideas on how to maybe enclose it or give it some privacy so it's a bit more functional. I don't mind using it but hwo could I ever ask a guest to use it like this lol. Any ideas? I don't think I can finish the basement becasue the height of the ceiling is lower than what is required (it's just over 6 ft hi and with pipes and beam probably closer to just under 6 ft in many spots. )

Any suggestions are appreciated!
Thanks

Hi...I saw your post and immediately thought about the ceiling mounted railings with curtains you see in hospital rooms or doctors offices and found a couple of links but they might be cost prohibitive. I did find something on Amazon for a Ceiling Mounted Curtain Track kit which is relatively inexpensive and then you would have to either buy or make a curtain to add to it for privacy which could be pulled back when not in use, or just left in place all the time. I don't think it's odd at all - my aunt and uncle's basement was like that when I was a kid - we never thought anything about it. When you have to go - any port in a storm! Our basement in our house is not finished either but there is a rough-in for a future bathroom down there if my hubby ever decides to start re-building his model train empire again and this might be an option for us too. Currently we just use our basement for storage, mechanicals are in there (furnace, water heater etc.) and the kitties run around and play down there. Don't be discouraged here - just take what you need and leave the rest!
Here's the link to the Amazon product I found: Amazon.com - New White, Ceiling Mount 8 ft Curtain Track Kit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 03:56 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,245,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcip View Post
Ugh sorry I posted anything. I was just fishing for ideas for others that may similar situations. My bad
I don't know, but I'd build some walls around the toilet. Maybe make a nice room with some lights or something like that.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:10 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You don't send your guests to the basement toilet. Trust me on this.

There's nothing wrong with people waiting to use the real bathroom.
If you're a guy and there is bunch of people taking a ridiculous amount of time to use the toilet (the sex of these people shall remain anonymous) you don't really care if it's in the basement walls or no walls. Trust me on this.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:55 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,201,169 times
My first concern would be the stairs down into the basement. Many of them do not have railings, and I would not want people going up and down them if they had been drinking, or in high heels, or small children who have a tendency to run everywhere. If there are railings, of course, there is no problem.

I'm not keen on a lock on the inside of the door to the cellar. If someone should lock the door and then trip on the stairs, you would have a serious emergency on your hands.

I would just build a wooden wall around it (with the inside walls finished off with plywood), paint it to minimize moisture problems, and if there is no light above it, make sure to have a "window" or two up high to let in light from the cellar lights. And I would put a door on it with an inside latch or lock.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:00 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
If you don't want to spend much money, install rods and shower curtains. You can hang the rods from the ceiling rafters.

Screens and bookshelves can be found on Craigslist if that's the route you go.

We ended up enclosing the toilet in its own wee room. Got one of those sinks that replaces the tank top. Guys used it all the time. Gals, not so much.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:33 AM

267 posts, read 352,353 times
The basement, while not finished, isn't a war zone. There's stuff down there but it's farily well organized. There is a railing down the stairs so I am not worried about that so much. I may go with the curtains Idea as a temporary fix and do something more permenant down the road.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:42 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,499,597 times

Old 01-21-2014, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
If you don't want to spend much money, install rods and shower curtains. You can hang the rods from the ceiling rafters.

Screens and bookshelves can be found on Craigslist if that's the route you go.

We ended up enclosing the toilet in its own wee room. Got one of those sinks that replaces the tank top. Guys used it all the time. Gals, not so much.
In answer to DM question: We got ours from Real Goods years ago.

Real Goods - Search results for: 'toilet sink'

Toilet-Lid Sink Combo

Small Space Solutions: Tiny Bathroom Sinks Roundup | Apartment Therapy

There's even a youtube video for a DYI project.

It conserves water and space and turns a toilet into a powder room.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:05 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,804,502 times
drywall - worth the investment.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:06 AM

The shower curtains are a good short-term solution. It is less odd than sitting out in the open in large basement.

But it is still odd. Just feels odd sitting with just a curtain between you and whoever else is in the basement playing ping pong, or waiting their turn at the toilet.

We put up walls after a few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House