Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 05:19 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,319,577 times

Advertisements

We live in a place that at times becomes crowded due to "spill-over" from our stuff. Much stuff is being gotten rid of, because at some point this problem can be due simply on account of having too much--at the same time we don't have a "utility room" or such for miscellaneous things and as such our house can become cluttered due to there being nowhere to put many things. As such, we are pondering a storage building.

I know nothing about what makes a good storage building. It seems wood ones are better than metal ones in that any person I've known who owns a metal one, they always end up looking like crap in no time. The persons at the storage place also tell me wood ones are better in terms of no condensation forming inside them, and that any roofs that are metal (sometimes the buildings have metal roofs but are wood otherwise) need to be swept because if leaves accumulate, then moisture doesn't evaporate and it accelerates rusting. That may be relevant as we do live in the woods.

The main thing I need for it to be something that's apt to last a decent while and not have to worry that contents inside the building will become wet. Also, the less maintenance that would be required, the better. Also, we do periodically (but not often) have small branches that fall, so there's concern that one could fall and harm the storage building.

One that I've found is a "bargain barn" from Atlas (in Texas) that's 8x8 (and about 7 feet high) and is mostly wood except for the roof and maybe 10% of the sides near the top part, it's otherwise wood throughout. It sells for around $1200 cash, free delivery, it is this one Portable Storage Buildings, Barns, Garages, Offices, Cabins, Carports and Decks. - CONTACT ATLAS BUILDING SYSTEMS. That particular place comes pretty highly recommended from others I've asked, and it has good prices compared to others. The person told me that condensation can form on the metal part and you might not want, say, something like a computer laying immediately next to that small portion, otherwise everything would be fine everywhere. I was concerned that any such condensation could lead to rot but they told me it wouldn't be enough to worry about that occurring. I really have no idea about any of this, I just need something where I can catch "spillover" from the house that could include clothes or, in fact, extra computer cases etc that I could use but are really cluttering up the main house. 8x8 should be enough, but I don't want it to be something that in 3 years time looks like it's been assaulted by a team of gorillas. Then again, those sheds were REALLY small ones that many times didn't have a floor (they utilized the ground) and were not even tall enough to walk in, I guess these I'm looking at are much higher grade than those were.

At the same time, maybe something like this could work, a $550 7x7 foot resin one from Lowe's? (http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...llow&cId=PDIO1) or this $750 8x8 wood one also at Lowe's? (http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...llow&cId=PDIO1) Note: again, it wouldn't be used as an "tool" shed (rake, shovel etc) it would be for catching excess HOUSEHOLD items (clothes, couple of computers & the parts, etc) that tend to make the living room overly crowded.

Thoughts?

Last edited by shyguylh; 03-08-2014 at 05:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 05:30 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,296,810 times
Sounds like you will run out of room in an 8' x 8' so I'd consider going bigger. You can go up to 120 sq ft of floor space without a permit.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Sounds like you will run out of room in an 8' x 8' so I'd consider going bigger. You can go up to 120 sq ft of floor space without a permit.
I don't think I would run out of room in an 8x8--or, as I figure it, if I do, then I have too much and some of it needs to go anyway. At the same time, we have NO rooms here to use as a "utility" or "spill-over" room, we need something to catch SOME spill-over. I wouldn't be storing pianos or other such large items, basically about 3 computers & monitors and a few bags or boxes of clothes. The main thing is that as it wouldn't be a TOOL shed for shovels or lawnmowers etc but would be household items it needs to be weatherproof.

Also, permits are not an issue, I live in the boonies where I can basically do whatever I want. The main thing is that I'm not sure which is best for a woods environment--metal can rust, wood can become infected with bugs/termites etc with all of these woods and trees around here, is what I figure. I've read a bit about resin. Whatever it is, again, the main distinction is that we are NOT talking about something that would simply organize items suitable for outdoor storage, tools like a shovel or lawnmower etc, instead, it needs to be weather-tight and appropriate for items that would be in the house otherwise (except for items that can't be exposed to cold or heat and would require heat & air conditioning). Paperback books, clothes etc need to be just as well off in such a building as they would be inside the house itself.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:38 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
we are pondering a storage building.
...Thoughts?
You're not thinking it through.
You need to go BIGGER LINK
Attached Thumbnails
Storage Building Recommendations-3569443394720f4f193429.jpg  

Old 03-09-2014, 09:27 AM

I don't need a house, I need advice on storage buildings.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:41 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,296,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I don't need a house, I need advice on storage buildings.
I would not set wood directly on earth. Use pier blocks with a small step too assure it last longer than 20 years.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:37 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,095,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Be careful making broad statements. Our town requires permits for ALL accessory buildings. Main reason is to make sure it is located properly (setbacks, not in utility easements, etc.)

Also some places subject to HOAs do not allow storage buildings or have requirements.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:38 PM

Would a resin based one be okay for things besides garden tools? I saw one 8x8 foot one set up at Lowe's and it looked like it could work except I thought I saw a few gaps near the top where rain could drip through (maybe you could caulk it? ).

Old 03-09-2014, 01:48 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,095,402 times
OP - I'm not sure of the climate where you are but I would be concerned about the heat buildup in a small building that was weathertight (and bug/varmint proof) to store clothes, books and other 'inside' items in. Most storage buildings I've seen aren't designed to keep bugs and rodents out of the interior space and you'll find nests and damage in the stored items after a while.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:58 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times
I have an 8'x16' storage building in my back yard ... no problems with rodents (ugh) although bugs do get in it.

I use it for "overflow" stuff, OP -- basically what you need. It is by ShedsUSA and is what they call "smartpanel" -- can't remember exactly what that means, except that I had to paint it. I had a problem with a spongey floor, but when I had the shed moved to my current house, the mover fixed that by adding some "posts" underneath -- now the floor feels rock-solid.

It was relatively expensive -- a few thousand (sorry, I bought it years ago and don't remember all the details now). My back yard is quite large (total lot is 1.29 acres and more than half of that is the back yard) so it is pretty unobtrusive.

I DID need to get a "shed permit" since it was bigger than 10x12 (or 120 square feet) -- that cost I think $50, and the code guy came and checked to make sure it was within the setback rules (30' from either side). I've had no issues with it.

I do store mostly large plastic containers with lids in there, stacked. As I said, "overflow."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House