Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2014, 04:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,262 times

Advertisements

Why everyone hating on Thomas Kincade
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 08:53 AM

224 posts, read 947,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World's Greatest View Post
Why everyone hating on Thomas Kincade
Because he tacky.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:53 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,773,404 times
I would love to have tiki style in our lanai at the new place

My grandfather had a framed poster of a bullfight in Spain. I always liked it.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:17 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,518,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip kid View Post
How about Tiki decor? Would you consider this tacky, or campy? I realize this is walking on thin ice bringing up Tiki, because some people like it. There are even sites devoted to Tiki.

Would tropical scenes painted on BLUE velvet be considered Tiki or Tacky or Tiki Tacky? Or is that Tacky Tiki?

Yes, this IS indeed a great thread. 727 responses! Woo Hoo!

Tiki Decor has actually made a comeback! There's a site called Retro Reno that encourages preservation of older decor - especially mid century modern themes such as Hawaiian Tiki bars in finished basements graced with tongue and groove real wood paneling and pink bathrooms with gray or white tile.

We have an aqua half bath that was probably added in the 50s or early 60. It's tiled floors and half walls are sturdy and pretty. There's black tile along the top and the floor is aqua and black. It's organic to the house. We're keeping it.

Here's another think that I think is tacky balloon valances. Especially with vertical blinds.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:40 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,872,138 times
Thomas Kinkade appeals to a lot of people, hence it's high value and many would consider it great art.... It doesn't matter to me because art is a personal opinion, and what someone else says about it shouldn't matter...

Old 04-28-2014, 07:00 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,020,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Thomas Kinkade appeals to a lot of people, hence it's high value and many would consider it great art.... It doesn't matter to me because art is a personal opinion, and what someone else says about it shouldn't matter...
Right - so people who love Thomas Kincade shouldn't get their panties in a wad when other people run from the room in horror, shielding their eyes.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:55 PM

40 posts, read 91,628 times
the "footprints" poem - on anything.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:59 PM

40 posts, read 91,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Tiki Decor has actually made a comeback! There's a site called Retro Reno that encourages preservation of older decor - especially mid century modern themes such as Hawaiian Tiki bars in finished basements graced with tongue and groove real wood paneling and pink bathrooms with gray or white tile.

We have an aqua half bath that was probably added in the 50s or early 60. It's tiled floors and half walls are sturdy and pretty. There's black tile along the top and the floor is aqua and black. It's organic to the house. We're keeping it.

Here's another think that I think is tacky balloon valances. Especially with vertical blinds.
I adore mid century modern homes - especially pink bathrooms! My grandmother's home she and my grandfather had built in 1950 had a pink bathroom right down to the sink and toilet. It was nothing short of amazing. She sold her home this year - flippers bought it and promptly gutted the pink bathroom - and everything else. The house was a time capsule and they gutted all of it. It was somewhat expected, but they did a real hack job on it - really really terrible work. It's depressing to see the zillow photos they have posted

You'd think people would be monopolizing that look with the popularity of Mad Men. There is a Facebook group called "Retro Renovation" that posts interesting real estate listings along with other fun finds that would appeal to people who enjoy this era.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:58 AM

18,534 posts, read 18,775,972 times
When I moved into this house ten years ago it had an avocado bathroom suite.. but it was solid and cleaned up lovely... I acutally felt goaded into getting rid of it for a white one , and to be honest it didnt bother me at all...I suited this 80s house perfectly... but now it s gone to the avocado in the sky...along with the pink, blue, maroons, and cream.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:29 AM

50,388 posts, read 64,062,004 times
I think that houses will tell you what they want. I agree that old houses are being stripped of charming irreplaceable features, just because of the influence of HGTV shows.
I just watched one yesterday in which a couple took a sweet 1930s cottage in CA (where else?) and gave it a "charmectomy". They added a second floor, and turned it into a white, angular modern looking thing. They spent $400K on the renovation, but it was still a sad outcome.
At least we can watch Rehab Addict for a dose of restoration and recycle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House