Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 11:43 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,946,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
Oversized sectionals / reclining chairs such as La-Z-Boy make me cringe. The ones that have cup-holders in them are the worst.
Any furniture that is sold in the following places will never enter my home: Rooms To Go; IKEA; Ashleys; Nebraska Furniture Mart, La-Z-Boy Galleries etc...
Haha - I think 97% of homes would make you cringe. It may not be classy to everyone, but functionally a chair with a built in cup holder makes perfect sense as a lot of people will have something to drink while sitting in a chair they like (probably while watching tv in the living room). IKEA may not be built to the highest standards but the stuff has its place. The $200 dresser is cardboard compared to solid hardwood at $800, but it can still last if not treated harshly/moved from house to house. And I've sat in some comfy La-Z-Boys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2015, 08:09 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,009,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
Oversized sectionals / reclining chairs such as La-Z-Boy make me cringe. The ones that have cup-holders in them are the worst.
Any furniture that is sold in the following places will never enter my home: Rooms To Go; IKEA; Ashleys; Nebraska Furniture Mart, La-Z-Boy Galleries etc...
Hahahaha, you mean like this?

This is our office. This is also the room that holds the overstuffed book cases - and has a huge TV mounted on the wall over the desk. And about a thousand family photos framed and displayed on the credenza. Yep, it's the most cringe worthy room in my house - and also probably the most comfortable!

If you had ever told me I would have a red leather LaZBoy sofa with cupholders ANYWHERE in my house I would have called you a liar...till I sat in it at the store and totally changed my mind! But I admit - it's not a thing of beauty.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 02-07-2020 at 07:16 AM..

Old 12-20-2015, 09:56 AM

14,254 posts, read 14,762,425 times
Early American, especially the "eagles" make me cringe.

Old 12-20-2015, 12:38 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,932,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbythecat View Post
Our house would probably make many people cringe: we are heavily into "lodge" decor (which I saw as a cringeworthy decor early in this thread). Wooden snowshoes. A toboggan turned into a shelf. A Flexible Flyer repurposed as a kitchen organizer. Quilted cloth hiking boots that are totally unique. Vintage wooden skis. Log Furniture. But we live in a log house in the country - what else would be appropriate here - lace doilies and fine china???

What is that saying - one man's trash is another man's treasure?

Some people probably do cringe when they see our house, but they generally do so politely. Although my MIL once asked us why we would want to live in a place like this (!). We don't care - this is "us".
You reminded me of when I worked at an antique store north of Duluth MN on the shore of Lake Superior. The owners of the store were constantly restocking the items you mentioned above (through auctions & estate sales), because the people with cabins in northern Minnesota like to decorate with it. Where I would see an old, worn-out pair of skis or snowshoes, etc. they'd see wall art. Not my style, but that's cool! Everyone should surround themselves with what makes them happy and comfortable.

Last edited by geebabe; 12-20-2015 at 01:45 PM..

Old 12-20-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misscross View Post
many different styles can be done well and even if most of them aren't to my own tastes, so I might wrinkle my brows internally but rarely cringe. I cringe at decor that seems really unhygienic to me such as those carpet cover things on toilet seats, carpets in bathrooms, crochet things covering toilet paper, etc.
Yes, plus dirty carpets in general. I always appreciate a clean house most of all.

Old 12-20-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Hahahaha, you mean like this?

This is our office. This is also the room that holds the overstuffed book cases - and has a huge TV mounted on the wall over the desk. And about a thousand family photos framed and displayed on the credenza. Yep, it's the most cringe worthy room in my house - and also probably the most comfortable!

If you had ever told me I would have a red leather LaZBoy sofa with cupholders ANYWHERE in my house I would have called you a liar...till I sat in it at the store and totally changed my mind! But I admit - it's not a thing of beauty.

I like your LaZBoy sofa recliner and the cupholders, too. I've always believed that as far as furniture that we sit on goes, COMFORT is key!

Last edited by geebabe; 12-20-2015 at 01:46 PM..

Old 12-20-2015, 02:04 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,508,022 times
From the official Thomas Kinkade website:

https://thomaskinkade.com/artist/biography/

An accounting of his death:

Thomas Kinkade, one of nation's most popular painters, dies suddenly in Monte Sereno at 54 - San Jose Mercury News

And the CNN report on the coroner's statement:

Coroner: Alcohol, drug killed Thomas Kinkade - CNN.com

And what about the value of his works?

3 Years After His Death, How Much Is My Thomas Kinkade Painting Worth? « CBS Sacramento

Old 12-20-2015, 05:07 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,190,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
I like your LaZBoy sofa recliner and the cupholders, too. I've always believed that as far as furniture that we sit on goes, COMFORT is key!
I agree about comfort. My goal with every chair in my house is for it to be comfortable first. That goes for my dining chairs, as well.

I think with the recliners + cupholders, there is an inference being made about someone watching too much TV incessantly, and eating junk food while doing so. This is another example of a sweeping generalization. But if you don't want cup holders, you don't have to get them, and vice versa.

Old 12-20-2015, 11:23 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,009,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I agree about comfort. My goal with every chair in my house is for it to be comfortable first. That goes for my dining chairs, as well.

I think with the recliners + cupholders, there is an inference being made about someone watching too much TV incessantly, and eating junk food while doing so. This is another example of a sweeping generalization. But if you don't want cup holders, you don't have to get them, and vice versa.
The crazy thing is, the only thing I use the cupholders for is my cup of coffee in the morning. And it doesn't even fit down inside the cup holders so I have to put a coaster over them - LOL.

We just loved the way the sofa felt and said "What the heck," about the cup holders! And yes, we fell in love with the red leather too! And that lifetime warranty on the La Z Boy mechanism - that's always a plus.

Old 12-21-2015, 04:17 AM

18,532 posts, read 18,772,721 times
I cringe at diamontes round watches.... why do jewellery makers insist on this fad.. they look cheap and nasty to me ..ladies boots with the toes out... silly and vulgar... bra straps showing.. Those silly dresses celebs seem to think will make them stand out on the red carpet that look awful...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House