Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2014, 09:35 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,765,774 times

Advertisements

Love the armor one, so UK castle like, I can see that being appropriate in the older homes where you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 02:28 PM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Might order one from ebay... it will be my statement piece, talk of the street Ill be....Mrs R has delusions of grandeur, can hear them now..

Old 04-22-2014, 02:33 PM

When we moved to another tenement in the eastend of Glasgow the last tenant left for a price stained glass parrots and leaded glass for the double bedroom windows.. the house was like a church I hated it but my aunt thought it made our two room tenement very posh.. till one of the parrots came off the hook and hit her on the head while she was looking out the window... they came down after that but the leaded coloured glass remained for a long time...

Old 04-22-2014, 03:14 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip kid View Post
How about Tiki decor? Would you consider this tacky, or campy? I realize this is walking on thin ice bringing up Tiki, because some people like it. There are even sites devoted to Tiki.

Would tropical scenes painted on BLUE velvet be considered Tiki or Tacky or Tiki Tacky? Or is that Tacky Tiki?

Yes, this IS indeed a great thread. 727 responses! Woo Hoo!
In the summer I put up a bamboo screen against the patio wall with two solar tiki lamps on either side of it. For parties we serve tropical drinks in tiki mugs. I have a bunch of ukulele music, too. I love it, lol.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:21 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,406,823 times
We were watching Three's Company on TVLAND the other night, and Mrs. Roper was making a macrame hanger for her potted plant. I thought of this thread.

Oh, and when I was talking to my mother the other day, she said my uncle went to my grandmother's house (youngest uncle bought it after she died) and he (the uncle that bought the house) managed to get all of the furniture that my grandmother had in the house - even though my mother and the other uncle got rid of all of it - and that it's basically like a shrine to my grandmother. Old lady dining room table, pink and green tile, wooden Indian bobblehead and all. Decorating aside, I hope he's not wetting the bed, setting fires, and torturing animals.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:35 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,440,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip kid View Post
How about Tiki decor? Would you consider this tacky, or campy? I realize this is walking on thin ice bringing up Tiki, because some people like it. There are even sites devoted to Tiki.

Would tropical scenes painted on BLUE velvet be considered Tiki or Tacky or Tiki Tacky? Or is that Tacky Tiki?

Yes, this IS indeed a great thread. 727 responses! Woo Hoo!

I LOVE Tiki!!! Or anything Polynesian/Island themed, for that matter. It's my way of pretending I don't live in Illinois.

I'm hoping to go to this event next year:
The Hukilau | The world's most authentic Tiki event

Old 04-25-2014, 01:20 AM

I dont think we had anything like that. it was more a Spanish theme.. I suppose as it was the place most UK holidaymakers went in the 60s... so we had fans on the walls. castanettes, etc....I do remember some African ornaments in houses though... black heads, shields, stuff like that in some houses...... OH Id forgotten all about the swords on the wall.. the ones in velvet lined cases.. wow.. I wanted one of those..even two crossed swords...with a shield..... own up did you have any of these?

Old 04-25-2014, 05:36 AM

14,251 posts, read 14,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I dont think we had anything like that. it was more a Spanish theme.. I suppose as it was the place most UK holidaymakers went in the 60s... so we had fans on the walls. castanettes, etc....I do remember some African ornaments in houses though... black heads, shields, stuff like that in some houses...... OH Id forgotten all about the swords on the wall.. the ones in velvet lined cases.. wow.. I wanted one of those..even two crossed swords...with a shield..... own up did you have any of these?
I had spent some time in Spain on business. My wife joined me a few times for vacations. We did have a spare bedroom with a Spanish theme including some bull fighting scenes and a lovely wooden shield with a red velvet background and it had swords sticking out of it. You could remove the swords.......LOL

That stuff is long gone.

I did say earlier that I hated early American stuff, especially those black eagle hung over doors.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:16 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I had spent some time in Spain on business. My wife joined me a few times for vacations. We did have a spare bedroom with a Spanish theme including some bull fighting scenes and a lovely wooden shield with a red velvet background and it had swords sticking out of it. You could remove the swords.......LOL

That stuff is long gone.

I did say earlier that I hated early American stuff, especially those black eagle hung over doors.
One of my neighbors had a black eagle over their garage and someone actually stole it.

Old 04-25-2014, 01:30 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
I LOVE Tiki!!! Or anything Polynesian/Island themed, for that matter. It's my way of pretending I don't live in Illinois.

I'm hoping to go to this event next year:
The Hukilau | The world's most authentic Tiki event
I'd got to that in a nano-second. I hope you get to go!

Needless to sat the Enchanted Tiki Room is one of my favorite attractions at Disneyland. I sing along during the going to the hukilau song.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 04-25-2014 at 01:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House