Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2014, 05:03 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyWhnChasd View Post
I use window film in my downstairs bathroom too. We live on a very private 5 acre lot, but the bathroom window is directly next to the toilet and large--almost floor to ceiling. Since it overlooks the rear drive, the UPS man would get quite the view if you were taking care of business when he pulled up; also, contractors that happen to be working on the house and wondering around outside. Ask me how I know. Yeah, no regrets on installing the film!
I will defend you're right to have it, of course, and no one but you will see it, but there is a stained glass craftsman in every town who would love to make you something to block the view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 08:56 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
What do you do when you get a tacky GIFT?
If it's astoundingly tacky..... I treasure it! It takes a special person to pick an astoundingly tacky gift. They are usually the people who, when they go to that big Gift Shop in the Sky, you talk about for years afterwards. "I see you're admiring our Elvis bobble-head. It was a wedding gift from my great-aunt Gertie who had a snuff addiction and believed bridges were tools of Satan."

Old 01-02-2015, 03:38 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Remember display cabinets back in the 40s 50s... my aunt got one and I though we had it made.. had mirrors at the back and glass shelves., three sided with a key... to keep all the "treasures " safe..mmm.. her treasures were a china tea set from the Barras market in Glasgow... a yellow cream and sugar with a gold lining... some dolls from friends whod been to Spain..wish I could remember the rest.. or maybe not... she was so proud of the dust collector..she also liked odd things like her crochet sugar doll, her Blackpool Tower banks at each side of the fireplace... and painted the horrible things green when she was doing up the house...only made the monsters more noticeable, I had to coax her to do away with them...wonder if anyone remember the ceiling light two of my aunts had in the early 50s.. art deco style.. looked like a moon surrounded by a big circle of mirror with stars on it...

Old 01-02-2015, 07:30 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Remember display cabinets back in the 40s 50s... my aunt got one and I though we had it made.. had mirrors at the back and glass shelves., three sided with a key... to keep all the "treasures " safe..mmm.. her treasures were a china tea set from the Barras market in Glasgow... a yellow cream and sugar with a gold lining... some dolls from friends whod been to Spain..wish I could remember the rest.. or maybe not... she was so proud of the dust collector..she also liked odd things like her crochet sugar doll, her Blackpool Tower banks at each side of the fireplace... and painted the horrible things green when she was doing up the house...only made the monsters more noticeable, I had to coax her to do away with them...wonder if anyone remember the ceiling light two of my aunts had in the early 50s.. art deco style.. looked like a moon surrounded by a big circle of mirror with stars on it...
Hey, that art deco light fixture sounds AWESOME!

Old 01-02-2015, 09:21 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Hey, that art deco light fixture sounds AWESOME!
actually I thought so too back then.. Ill try and find one to show you Kathryn...

Old 01-02-2015, 11:15 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,294,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
No magnets, nothing on kitchen counters but a fairly large and old Korean spice chest, no silk flowers, no candles, no table clothes, a few pieces of 1950s Murano which are being used, no prints, no refurbished dust catchers, no pattern mix and match, no Pier One, no IKEA, no curtains, no collections of this or that, no napkin rings, no plaid/floral.

Our current house looks like an Ikea catalog threw up in it. lol.

Master bedroom (Ikea wardrobes, baed, dressers, art):

Dining room (Ikea table and benches, though they'v ebeen customized with homemade padded tops):

Living room (old pic, have different couches and TV in it now) (Ikea rug, table, TV stand, bookcases):

Kitchen (Ikea cabinet doors, lighting, handles, island, countertops):

The house we are looking at getting needs a complete rehab and I plan on using IKEA base cabinets and upper cabinet doors to do the kitchen remodel, though that will be augmented by stonework and lighting from other sources. I've had really good luck with their stuff holding up over the years.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:33 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Those floors! One thing I really miss about Maryland is the traditional architecture and beautiful wood floors. I do not, however, miss the heating bills that came with the old, leaky windows.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:53 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,294,323 times
Yeah, I love the original 1932 hardwood throughout (except it's not in the kitchen ). Really easy to clean and cleans up nicely. The windows are all new, however, with low-e glass and insulation around them. No drafts at all. And when we went to remodel the house and put new siding on to replace the absolute garbage old siding, we found that under the '50s stuff that was on it was the original cedar shake siding, which I ended up pressure washing and leaving on the front and back porch areas.

Last edited by Merc63; 01-02-2015 at 12:30 PM..

Old 01-02-2015, 12:21 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
All of those things in her cabinet no doubt meant something to her. I can't wrap my head around this thread. The same people criticizing others tacky things are boasting about their own. Every kind of decor under the sun has been listed here. I can't figure out what you all have in your houses, as everything from lladro to IKEA has been deemed cringe worthy.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:31 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
All of those things in her cabinet no doubt meant something to her. I can't wrap my head around this thread. The same people criticizing others tacky things are boasting about their own. Every kind of decor under the sun has been listed here. I can't figure out what you all have in your houses, as everything from lladro to IKEA has been deemed cringe worthy.
They probably think my National Liquidators two-piece sectional couch with the big hole in the back where the cats use it as a scratching post is tacky, too. Harumph.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House