Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 07:39 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,671,817 times

Advertisements

What home improvement have you invested in that either didn't end up being as much of an improvement as you would have liked or ended up being something you wish you had done differently?

For me it would have to be the Pergo floor in my great room...it looks nice but I really wish I would have shelled out the extra money for some quality hardwood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 07:46 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,074,084 times
Started calling the police on my neighbor's drug addicted son a bit earlier. It eventually improved the home, but not fast enough.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:35 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
When my husband installed the drywall ceiling in our bedroom, he didn't place it the full ten feet up. It's still a high ceiling but not as high as the rest of the house. It bothers me because we have a high four poster bed. I think the lower ceiling makes the room seem smaller even though it's a large room. When my husband told me his plans, I wish I would have said no but I didn't really think about it. Since it's a big hassle to tear out an redo, it has been like this for 15 years. We're planning to do it this winter. It's going to be a pain because we'll have to move our entire bedroom into another room.

Old 05-02-2014, 06:35 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
I'm just starting on my 4th house, all of them with DIY. I think my biggest regret was installing laminate flooring in the first house. That's just not something I'd ever do again and I do my best to talk people out of making that mistake themselves. The labor is really no different to install real wood, just a little cost difference but even that can be minimized by shopping for closeout deals. I actually paid less for the pre-finished Elm that's under my feet currently than the laminate in that first house.

To add a flip-side to that, the Best thing I ever did was hire a licensed/insured contractor off craigslist to help me with a number of projects in my 2nd home. Since I was working along side my price was lower, I got to learn how to do everything from replacing drywall to laying tile and sweat in copper plumbing (bathroom gut and remodel). I later called on him to help me repair some shingle damage after a storm, replace/repair some bricks and the mortar around them, replace windows, etc... it was some of the best money I've ever spent, like having 1 on 1 instruction and it was really quite inexpensive. I still negotiate with contractors to this day to see if and how much they'll take off if I help. I mean, I'm going to be around supervising Anyway, might as well save some money and learn in the process.

Old 05-02-2014, 06:36 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Going for a hunter green and accidentally painted my study Kermit the Frog green.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:50 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,287,094 times
I've torn apart various rooms at different times, then later after all the walls are back up, they change something so far as electrical / computer wiring goes.

Perhaps the best thing would be a main electrical room where all wires run to. And also very large empty conduits from each room to that electrical closet, then you can run new wires as they change things.

Then of course everything will be wireless!

Anyway *very* difficult to predict the future of stereo / TV / home automation / computer wiring.

Another recent change is that each electric wall switch now requires an extra wire to power the new electronic switches (occupancy sensor, home automation, etc.).

Old 05-02-2014, 08:44 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Painted my bedroom pink; it looked like a beautiful, soft, light pink on the sample. With the four walls reflecting off each other, I felt like I was inside a bottle of Pepto Bismol. I painted it again a year later and LOVE the color now; it's a beautiful soft gray that changes with the light and seasons. I love it.

Dolphin Fin 790C-3

Old 05-02-2014, 10:44 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,483,285 times
I wish I had re-done my backsplash at the same time that I got new countertops in the kitchen. At the time, I thought I could live with the fruit tiles...wrong. That decision was just about the dumbest thing ever. I have had the backsplash re-done, but that just meant living through two big messes instead of one big mess.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:49 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,242,141 times
Nah, everything I've done has always turned out perfectly, and been fabulous.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:24 AM

1,250 posts, read 4,785,532 times
My bathroom renovation was on a tight deadline and budget and I made a few design decisions that I regret. For instance, I chose a black 3x6 subway tile for the shower/tub surround. I mostly chose it because it was in stock (I needed tile that week and couldn't wait for a special order) and because it was cheap (around $2/sq ft). It looks fantastic and I get compliments all of the time but I really wanted a grey porcelain (would have been a 2 week wait and $4/sq ft) or a grey glass (which was in stock but about $15/sq ft).

Also, I wish I would have taken the roofer to small claims court for damaging the fascia board and some of the siding on my house. It's not too late, though, and I'm still considering it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House